• Show
Clear All

• 19-05-29: Guo O Dong

Click image for larger version

Name:	06ddb5e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	510001

"We have this fantasy that things that happen in computers can’t actually affect us, but this is absurd. Weaponized viruses that affect power grids or public infrastructure can cause direct harm. WannaCry ... caused the [UK’s National Health Service] the equivalent of $100 million in damages and led to the cancellation of tens of thousands of doctors’ appointments. It is not a leap to say this caused significant human harm, though it might be hard to pinpoint the effects exactly down to the patient.”
    - Guo O Dong, who auctioned off an ordinary laptop filled with six of the world’s most dangerous pieces of malware. The six viruses in the laptop (a 10.2-inch Samsung NC10-14GB) were chosen for the magnitude of economic damage they’ve caused. They include the ILOVEYOU virus, a computer bug from 2000 that often appeared as a “love letter” attached to emails; and WannaCry, a ransomware attack that shut down computers in hospitals and factories around the world in 2017, and which intelligence agencies blamed on North Korea. The laptop sold at auction for $1,345,000.00.

Is it art?
    Yes
    0%
    No
    100.00%
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Perhaps I'm a bit too "IP attorney" about this, but the one thing that can keep a thing from being art is functionality.

Pete (thinks that to the degree that something is actually useful, it's probably not art)

Comment

Working...
    X