No announcement yet.

Guns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, not yet. I've been too busy with life and work. I still have the Fort Knox box with the mechanical push button lock.
    I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronny View Post
      [ATTACH]3742[/ATTACH] Well, I got the S&W 940. Couldn't come up with the spare change, so I traded my Ruger LCR 9mm. Didn't need 2 9mm revolvers anyway.

Also, sold the Marlin 39A. Hated to do it, but I've had to finally accept that I can't shoot accurately with iron sights anymore and the Marlin is no set up for a scope. I'll have to find something else.

Can't see or hear, but I can damn sure drive.
      Dressed it up a little.
      Attached Files
      At the precipice, we change!
      The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Just Jon View Post
        Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality and reliable handgun box? I have a Fort Knox handgun safe but it's not exactly accessible in a hurry. I'd like something that's quick to access but is still safe and reliably opens every time. I was looking at Hornady's RFID boxes and the Gun Box. I've heard plenty of bad things about Gun Box but not much about Hornady's boxes.
        To be honest, I'm not sure there is a thing. I haven't find one that's anything more than mild sheet metal with one kind of lock or another. And I've seen too many youtube videos of kids opening them up by dropping them on the floor.

Jared (in the process of buying a TL rated monster box)
        "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Jared View Post
          To be honest, I'm not sure there is a thing. I haven't find one that's anything more than mild sheet metal with one kind of lock or another. And I've seen too many youtube videos of kids opening them up by dropping them on the floor.

Jared (in the process of buying a TL rated monster box)
          I'm not sure that one exists. I have yet to find one that I'm confident will be secure enough. We don't have kids, but it's possible that we'll have my grand-nephew over at some point. (I still can't believe I have one of those.) I mostly want to deter would-be thieves and curious pets. Real thieves will only be stopped by a really good safe that's bolted down and even then they may be good enough to get inside. Our house has an alarm, so we have multiple layers of security, at least.

Comment

• Every magazine for every gun I have is about to be made illegal in the state of IL. They're banning everything over 10 rounds. That makes every gun I have useless until I can find 10 round mags. I'm not even sure if there are any made for the XDM9 but it makes me want to sell it now along with every rifle I own. IL might even ban every rifle that I have, which would put me out of a lot of money. There is NO provision for grandfathering current owners and they haven't explained in the law what law abiding citizens are supposed to do with their newly illegal magazines. We're the only people who will be affected and they haven't even given us instructions. The whole thing is maddening.

All of that said, I'm considering trading for handguns that hold 10 rounds or less so the IL anti-gun nuts will leave me the hell alone and I can still exercise SOME of my right. (Until they take the rest away, that is, or Jen and I move to WI, which has hardly any gun restrictions at all.) I've been considering a .380 for Jen and a smaller framed 1911 style 9mm for me, like the Springfield EMP. I'm not sure how happy I am with Springfield, though, since they've gotten wrapped up in a controversy about the IL gun dealer licensing scheme that was passed by the IL legislature. Kimber has a Micro 9 pistol. Is it any good? Any thoughts on options for me? A revolver is certainly an option but I tend to prefer pistols. I'm not that interested in carrying a gun yet, so it's really just home defense and fun that matter now. I am considering getting the carry license but it's so ridiculously burdensome to do it in IL and I'm concerned that simply having that license will make me a target for the oppressive authorities here.

Comment

Every magazine for every gun I have is about to be made illegal in the state of IL. They're banning everything over 10 rounds. That makes every gun I have useless until I can find 10 round mags. I'm not even sure if there are any made for the XDM9 but it makes me want to sell it now along with every rifle I own. IL might even ban every rifle that I have, which would put me out of a lot of money. There is NO provision for grandfathering current owners and they haven't explained in the law what law abiding citizens are supposed to do with their newly illegal magazines. We're the only people who will be affected and they haven't even given us instructions. The whole thing is maddening.

All of that said, I'm considering trading for handguns that hold 10 rounds or less so the IL anti-gun nuts will leave me the hell alone and I can still exercise SOME of my right. (Until they take the rest away, that is, or Jen and I move to WI, which has hardly any gun restrictions at all.) I've been considering a .380 for Jen and a smaller framed 1911 style 9mm for me, like the Springfield EMP. I'm not sure how happy I am with Springfield, though, since they've gotten wrapped up in a controversy about the IL gun dealer licensing scheme that was passed by the IL legislature. Kimber has a Micro 9 pistol. Is it any good? Any thoughts on options for me? A revolver is certainly an option but I tend to prefer pistols. I'm not that interested in carrying a gun yet, so it's really just home defense and fun that matter now. I am considering getting the carry license but it's so ridiculously burdensome to do it in IL and I'm concerned that simply having that license will make me a target for the oppressive authorities here.
              That would seem to violate the 5th amendment takings clause, would it not?

Originally posted by 5th Amendment
              ...nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
              The state of CA has gone through quite a lot of effort, due to their desire to avoid that particular entanglement. To the point of opening up the assault weapon registry again (which they despise doing, I assure you)
              Last edited by Jared; 03-09-2018, 02:01 PM.
              "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

• What's the background with Springfield armory and the IL dealer licensing scheme?

my wife has a Kimber 9mm carry pistol; it's a nice little gun, works flawlessly. It's a 1911, so you would have to carry it cocked and locked, were you to ever get a LTC. In comparison to my XD40 subcompact, it looks much smaller, but dimensionally they're within 1/8" in all directions.

Comment

• Research CZ P-01 with 10 round mag. Sweet.
                  At the precipice, we change!
                  The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

That would seem to violate the 5th amendment takings clause, would it not?

The state of CA has gone through quite a lot of effort, due to their desire to avoid that particular entanglement. To the point of opening up the assault weapon registry again (which they despise doing, I assure you)
                    I'm not rich enough to pay for that lawsuit. And I can't afford a felony conviction. They'll threaten my wife, too, in order to get me. I have too much to lose to be a political prisoner. It's unbelievable how gun owners are being treated as villains by these legislators. I'm a good person and I don't wish to harm anyone.

Comment

What's the background with Springfield armory and the IL dealer licensing scheme?
                      Here you go:

https://gunstoday.com/why-is-everyon...gfield-armory/
                      http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...for-carve-out/

Springfield says they have since severed their ties with IFMA so I'm not really jumping on the boycott bandwagon yet. I tend to not want to punish manufacturers of decent products just because of something like this.

my wife has a Kimber 9mm carry pistol; it's a nice little gun, works flawlessly. It's a 1911, so you would have to carry it cocked and locked, were you to ever get a LTC. In comparison to my XD40 subcompact, it looks much smaller, but dimensionally they're within 1/8" in all directions.
                      Do you remember what you guys paid for the Kimber?

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
                      Research CZ P-01 with 10 round mag. Sweet.
                      I'd try one of those. I'm also thinking about the striker fired Ruger LC9.

Comment

I'm not rich enough to pay for that lawsuit. And I can't afford a felony conviction. They'll threaten my wife, too, in order to get me. I have too much to lose to be a political prisoner. It's unbelievable how gun owners are being treated as villains by these legislators. I'm a good person and I don't wish to harm anyone.
                        I doubt the Bauer Act will pass. Politicians want to get re-elected and there's a primary at the end of this month.

The bill is so ridiculous, it would make it illegal to put a metal plate in your child's backpack. Democrats are dumb, but they aren't that dumb.

Steve (laughs at the irony of yet another nonsense law that will only impact law-abiding citizens named after a cop killed by a repeat felon who was not stopped by any law)
                        "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
                          I doubt the Bauer Act will pass. Politicians want to get re-elected and there's a primary at the end of this month.

The bill is so ridiculous, it would make it illegal to put a metal plate in your child's backpack. Democrats are dumb, but they aren't that dumb.

Steve (laughs at the irony of yet another nonsense law that will only impact law-abiding citizens named after a cop killed by a repeat felon who was not stopped by any law)
                          The dealer licensing act passed. Rauner hasn't signed it yet. The fact that he hasn't vetoed it yet tells me that he plans to sign the act after the primary. That law will put every dealer out of business except for the most well-established guys, who are very few, and the big box stores. Basically, I'll have to drive to WI to go to a range.

Comment

The dealer licensing act passed. Rauner hasn't signed it yet. The fact that he hasn't vetoed it yet tells me that he plans to sign the act after the primary. That law will put every dealer out of business except for the most well-established guys, who are very few, and the big box stores. Basically, I'll have to drive to WI to go to a range.
                            Sounds like the writing is on the wall.
                            "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

• Rauner is vetoing the dealer licensing bill. We'll see what happens with the rest.

I can get 10 round mags for my rifles, including the MP15-22, and the XDM9. It seems stupid to have a double stack handgun that can only carry 10 rounds, though. I'd rather have a single stack mag, like a 9mm 1911 or a 9mm Shield. I like the grips on the M&Ps a lot and Jen seems to be able to work the slide on the 9mm compact. I'm not sure about the Shield until we try. I might want to look at a 9mm XDS or the new hammer fired XDE. I don't know anything about the reliability of the XDE yet, though. I'm not sure if the double stack guns will still be legal for long in IL.
                              Last edited by Just Jon; 03-13-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• I'm glad you survived; that could have been a terrible weekend. Too bad about all the fishing equipment, and all your magazines and assault weapons. Perhaps that little boat was overloaded?
                                Last edited by Jared; 03-14-2018, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X