• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some pics.

This is the airplane I flew (and will be flying more):

Brrrrr:

In the air and my airplane:

Taxiing on the ground for take-off:

I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Once I got over the initial nervousness of what kind of plane I was about to step into, I was super excited to get in the air and was amazed and so proud of Jon for what he was able to do up there. The instructor seemed very confident in Jon's abilities to understand what to do and keep us flying. Except for a little turbulence and some dips of instability which can make me a little queasy, it was overall a fun ride and I look forward to doing it again.
      The best part of all was watching Jon be so happy.
      “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less travelled by.” -Robert Frost

Comment

You are one lucky guy. Congratulations !

I have had two friends who did what you are about to do. They love to fly. One volunteers for Make a Wish, and flies children with cancer all over the USA.

Both friends have had mishaps.

1. Put too many golf bags in the rear of the plane (boner)
        2. The other ran out of gas. (landed safe)

Good luck and be careful !
        You may not like the f_cking government, but the government likes f_cking you.

Comment

Is the long-term plan to buy a plane, Jon?

Pete (wonders what you do after flight school)

Comment

Congrats Jon !

Sounds like you found a hobby ( albeit an expensive one) that you enjoy. Hope you get your medical clearance soon. You should, doctors take forever to get anything from that requires them to sit down and write something down though.

Looks cold BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by JCat View Post
              You are one lucky guy. Congratulations !

I have had two friends who did what you are about to do. They love to fly. One volunteers for Make a Wish, and flies children with cancer all over the USA.

Both friends have had mishaps.

1. Put too many golf bags in the rear of the plane (boner)
              2. The other ran out of gas. (landed safe)

Good luck and be careful !
              Every pilot I know, and they're all coming out of the woodwork now that I'm making the moves, has told me that they've had at least one scary incident. They've all turned out ok, though. That's what you train for.

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
              Is the long-term plan to buy a plane, Jon?

Pete (wonders what you do after flight school)
              I could get a decent but old aircraft for the same amount as a very nice car, like mid to upper 40s. The cost of ownership is really high, though, with hangars costing around $300 or so a month. The maintenance and gas aren't really too bad with an economical plane and it's possible to get 20 something mpg in good conditions. But when something breaks, it could be costly. The airplane has to be 100% all the time.

I would sacrifice a lot to own a plane. Driving a fast and fun car has already lost some of its mystique for me. Flying slowly at 85mph is so much more thrilling and fun! I fear that flying may have spoiled me on cars. If I owned a plane, I wouldn't at all mind driving around a cheap econobox. Flying is soooo much better.

At the very least, I could rent an aircraft for which I'm qualified to fly. Renting is expensive, but it's cheaper than owning and I don't pay for the upkeep and storage. It would be nice to rent a plane for a weekend and fly to Columbus to see Jen's brother. It would take less time than driving, and it would actually be a fun trip. And we don't have to deal with the TSA at all.

My instructor flies to Cedar Rapids, IA where he has family and the trip is 5 hours round-trip. That's a bit less than it takes by car and it's a lot easier when the weather is good. (He is instrument rated, so he can fly in clouds.)

Originally posted by Danisr1 View Post
              Congrats Jon !

Sounds like you found a hobby ( albeit an expensive one) that you enjoy. Hope you get your medical clearance soon. You should, doctors take forever to get anything from that requires them to sit down and write something down though.

Looks cold BTW.
              All of my hobbies are expensive, but this is the most expensive yet! But, like I said, I would sacrifice the car hobby for this without too many qualms. I'd give up a lot to fly regularly. Hell, I'd even put up with my shit job because I'd be so much happier when I'm not at work.

Keep your fingers crossed about the medical. Right now it's the only thing holding me back.

Comment

When can I start paying you to fly my kid to Florida?

Pete (is only mostly joking)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                  When can I start paying you to fly my kid to Florida?

Pete (is only mostly joking)
                  Officially? Never. I'm going to have a Third Class license, so I can't take payment from passengers. That doesn't mean that we can't fly as friends and all enjoy the trip. You could share the costs with me and that's not illegal. I can't operate as a business. That said, the larger aircraft will probably require further endorsements, so it would take a few years. If you're happy in a 4 seater, we could do it when I'm competent enough to fly that far. Of course, Mary might not like the idea.

-Jon (wouldn't fly anyone until he's confident enough in his competence)

Comment

We have to request medical records and doctors statements for life insurance all the time, and the damn doctor is always the last one to get the info to us, that's the way they are.

I lost my love for sports cars about 5 years ago. I get a better thrill out of flying down a trail at 40 mph than driving a sports cars now.

When my truck gets paid off I may go back to a sports car, but I think I would rather have a boat.

I never have taken a liking to flying although down here if you have a single engine plane the world really opens up to you. There is an airpark about a mile from my house and its pretty cool to see the people store their plane in their garage and taxi the plane down the streets to the runways. You can be in the Bahamas in no time, and even the better islands!

Comment

We have to request medical records and doctors statements for life insurance all the time, and the damn doctor is always the last one to get the info to us, that's the way they are.

I lost my love for sports cars about 5 years ago. I get a better thrill out of flying down a trail at 40 mph than driving a sports cars now.

When my truck gets paid off I may go back to a sports car, but I think I would rather have a boat.

I never have taken a liking to flying although down here if you have a single engine plane the world really opens up to you. There is an airpark about a mile from my house and its pretty cool to see the people store their plane in their garage and taxi the plane down the streets to the runways. You can be in the Bahamas in no time, and even the better islands!
                      The south is fantastic for flying! Florida is practically a Mecca for it. That alone would draw me down there. It would be cool to vacation down there and rent a local plane to sight see.

Jen and I are getting really sick of the cold winters here and we stay here mostly for family. That could change as circumstances change. Jen also has a really good job here that pays well and allows us to do things like this. If we move and don't have jobs that pay as well...

Comment

Wait until Cuba opens up ( I know I keep saying that)

Private aviation will boom down here. Where I live its a 45 minute flight to Key West and a 2 hour flight to the Bahamas on a private plane.

You would like it down here, the pay scale is different but the cost of living is a lot less too. So don't let the different paychecks fool you.

Here is what teachers make down here in Collier County ( Naples ) which is a better district in salary than Lee County ( where I live , one county north)

http://www.collierschools.com/hr/doc...20Schedule.pdf

Comment

Wait until Cuba opens up ( I know I keep saying that)

Private aviation will boom down here. Where I live its a 45 minute flight to Key West and a 2 hour flight to the Bahamas on a private plane.

You would like it down here, the pay scale is different but the cost of living is a lot less too. So don't let the different paychecks fool you.

Here is what teachers make down here in Collier County ( Naples ) which is a better district in salary than Lee County ( where I live , one county north)

http://www.collierschools.com/hr/doc...20Schedule.pdf
                          Not to hijack the thread or anything here but that is a performance based salary schedule. No thanks.
                          “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less travelled by.” -Robert Frost

Comment

And I keep telling you that your performance is stellar, so you'd never have anything to worry about.

Anyway, back to flying.

Here's what it's like to land in the N32403:

(I have no idea who that is but she goes to the same school.)

Comment

My sales manager is a pilot ( I have no idea what license he has but he can fly a learjet ) I always joke with him that he must be pretty smart if he can fly a plane, and he always tells me its not that he can fly a plane, its that he can land a plane

I always find that comment funny

Comment

Honestly, that's pretty true. It's the getting back safely part that counts the most. Having a jet license is pretty much the creme de la creme. I'm sure he has at least a Second Class, so he can carry paying passengers. I don't even know if you can get a jet license with a Third Class.

This is what I want some day:

You can get a 240hp Honda V6 in one of those. That's 50% more power than the engine in the Piper I flew. That Titan is fully aerobatic capable too.

I just need to get the PPL, a complex aircraft endorsement (variable pitch prop, retractable landing gear), and $100k.

Comment

Working...
                                X