The chat box thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying.
    I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

I need to clone my hard drive, add it is on its last legs. Windows apparently doesn't do that, and somehow there's a reason that RAID 1 doesn't quite do it either. Anybody have HD cloning software?

I'd really rather not have to reinstall all my software.
      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Which version of windows?

Pete (thinks most of them have migration software built in at this point)

Comment

Windows 7
          "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Windows 7 is ancient. Time for a new computer. Is it desktop or laptop?

You are going to be very happy when you see how fast and easy a new machine is.
            "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

It's a desktop. I wouldn't mind getting anew machine, but I'm not real excited about Windows 10, and as far as i can tell, it's windows 10 or Apple or Linux, and I'm not ready to start a second career in learning how to use and troubleshoot Linux, and I'm not willing to pay apple prices.

Comment

How old is your computer? Don't forget, all your other components (power supply, RAM, video card, etc.) could start failing too, and then you're just throwing good money after bad. Windows 10 is pretty easy to work with and stable. My new desktop with an NVMe SSD boots up in 16 seconds... and that's with all my software installed. There is a brand new world of awesome computer hardware, and you should take a look around.

Comment

And definitely keep it away from chocolate milk.

Pete (offers one hypothetical situation which may damage your computer)

Comment

You can make Windows 10 look and feel just like Windows 7 if you want.

Pete (does)

Comment

Isn't this the OS with all the subscription software and mandatory Internet connection to guarantee the software serial numbers and hardware match?

i forget how old the thing is, five or six years old, I suppose.

Comment

And all the bult-in spyware that I've heard of, whatever that may be.

Comment

I avoid subscription software like the plague, and I haven't run into anything mandatory on Windows 10.

You can't stay on Windows 7 forever!

Comment

I still have half of my computers on XP.

Pete (shrugs)

Comment

So, um, how do you clone your hard drive?

Jared (still doesn't want to have to reinstall a couple dozen programs)

Comment

Easiest way is to put both drives on the same computer and run a clone software like Macrium which I think is firee. Not sure what the better software costs (haven't done it in a while) but either way it takes a few hours and then you have two copies of the same drive.

Pete (thinks he payed like $30 for clone software last time he did it)

Comment

Working...
                                X