Happy St. Patricks day!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beemer
    started a topic Happy St. Patricks day!!!

Happy St. Patricks day!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190316_100334.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	508455

• Ronny
    replied
    Looks like a dead of summer green algae bloom to me.

Leave a comment:

• Plezercruz
    replied
    It was EXTRA green this year.

Pete (wonders if there was extra dye or just more sunlight)

Leave a comment:

• Beemer
    replied
    To me it's weird that it's not common knowledge.

St. Patrick's Day[edit]

As part of a more than fifty-year-old Chicago tradition, the Chicago River is dyed green in observance of St. Patrick's Day.[77] The actual event does not necessarily occur on St. Patrick's Day and is scheduled for the Saturday before March 17, unless the 17th falls on a Saturday (when the event takes place on St. Patrick's Day).

The tradition of dyeing the river green arose by accident when plumbers used fluorescein dye to trace sources of illegal pollution discharges.[78]The dyeing of the river is still sponsored by the local plumbers union.[79]

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) outlawed the use of fluorescein for this purpose, since it was shown to be harmful to the river.[78]The parade committee has since switched to a mix involving forty pounds of powdered vegetable dye.[80] Though the committee closely guards the exact formula, they insist that it has been tested and verified safe for the environment.[81] Furthermore, since the environmental organization Friends of the Chicago River believes the dye is probably not harmful, they do not oppose the practice.[82]

In 2009 First Lady Michelle Obama, a Chicago native, requested that the White House fountains be dyed green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_River

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied
    California people were asking me today if the green river thing really happens ha!

Leave a comment:

• Jester
    replied
    Nice!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X