It's the pits. Hard Drive failure.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronny
    started a topic It's the pits. Hard Drive failure.

It's the pits. Hard Drive failure.

My hard drive fried itself. Completely unusable. All passwords, etc were on files and were backed up (on the hard drive). I thought I had backups in the cloud, but I can't find them. Now I'm trying to reconstruct from memory. Memory! That's a hoot.

• Ronny
    replied
    Yeah! The recommendation involved Seagate and $1,000 was brought up.

Leave a comment:

• Plezercruz
    replied
    If it has the click of death, it's usually dead. The armature is busted. Recovery is a drive rebuild and every expensive.

Pete (has tried about a dozen time and failed...it's a job for pros)

Leave a comment:

• Ronny
    replied
    Actually, the drive is the only thing I have left. Gave all the rest of it away for parts. Remember, I can barely spell computer.
    Drive is a Seagate Barracuda 1000GB. I could swear when I bought it, it was 40 GB. Clearly something I'm missing here.
    Anyway, I'll run onto someone who can check it out for me someday. Wish you were here.

BTW, did a little googling and found that 40 GB is about right. Also, this series of drive is common to have similar problems, referred to as the Click of Death (mine exactly). Apparently these are rarely recoverable. Thankfully, most of my info was just personal trivia; something I can live without.

Leave a comment:

• Plezercruz
    replied
    There is a decent chance that if you buy a new PCB control board for that drive and replace it the data is still intact. A short in the electronics should not propegate through to the armature and disks. The data on the magnetic disks should still be there...the short won't affect the disks themselves. Pull the model number of the drive (or better yet the part number of the PCB) and check ebay for an identical model. Replacing that board is an easy operation...anyone can do it.

Pete (would say your chances are no better than 50/50, but he's saved a drive like that before)
    Last edited by Plezercruz; 04-15-2019, 08:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ronny
    replied
    It apparently shorted out at the plug-in place. It was soldered in and there was a smoke trail running up into the computer. The guy had to pull it out with a pair of pliers. He got the contacts all cleaned off and hooked the drive up to an old computer he had there. That computer is now in the trash. I have the hard drive. I'll try to find a second opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Plezercruz
    replied
    Can you described the "fried" drive?

Pete (has performed a miracle or two in the past)

Leave a comment:

• hfm
    replied
    I use LastPass for desktop as well as iPhone/iPad app. https://www.lastpass.com/

I also have an encrypted Word document with passwords stored on my office server with triple redundancy back-up including the server's SSD, an external hard drive, cloud, and an encrypted weekly off-site external drive.

Dan (got serious about client data loss and security)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X