Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Gameficaton of Truth" - Video On Distrust, Conspiracy and the Breakdown of Expertise in the Internet Age

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Gameficaton of Truth" - Video On Distrust, Conspiracy and the Breakdown of Expertise in the Internet Age

For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We've always assumed that you can't bring back the dead. But it's a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Man...I really hope I remember to watch this at home sometime.

Pete (is limited in capability at work, and probably shouldn't be watching videos anyway)

Comment

On closer look the video essay is little more than a book report on "Nervous States: Democracy and the Decline of Reason", published in February 2019 by British academic William Davies.

In this sweeping and provocative work, political economist William Davies draws on a four-hundred-year history of ideas to reframe our understanding of the contemporary world. He argues that global trends decades and even centuries in the making have reduced a world of logic and fact into one driven by emotions—particularly fear and anxiety. This has ushered in an age of “nervous states,” both in our individual bodies and our body politic.

Eloquently tracing the history of accounting, statistics, science, and human anatomy from the Enlightenment to the present, Davies shows how we invented expertise in the seventeenth century to calm the violent disputes—over God and the nature of reality—that ravaged Europe. By separating truth from emotion, scientific, testable facts paved a way out of constant warfare and established a basis for consensus, which became the bedrock of modern politics, business, and democracy.

Informed by research on psychology and economics, Davies reveals how widespread feelings of fear, vulnerability, physical and psychological pain, and growing inequality reshaped our politics, upending these centuries-old ideals of how we understand the world and organize society. Yet Davies suggests that the rise of emotion may open new possibilities for confronting humanity’s greatest challenges. Ambitious and compelling, Nervous States is a perceptive and enduring account of our turbulent times.
      https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nervous-states
      If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We've always assumed that you can't bring back the dead. But it's a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Dammit.

Pete (forgot)

Comment

Am I imagining things, or is this video doing exactly the thing it's warning us about?

Pete (feels like he just watched a propaganda piece, but isn't sure)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
            Am I imagining things, or is this video doing exactly the thing it's warning us about?)
            It's exactly what "they" want us to believe.
            "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
              Am I imagining things, or is this video doing exactly the thing it's warning us about?

Pete (feels like he just watched a propaganda piece, but isn't sure)
              I’m not sure exactly what you mean but if you mean that they are warning us about living in a “post-truth” society, but then they are dismissing CT without facts or expertise but just via the argument “game”. Then sort of, yes, they are doing what they are talking about. But that isn’t hypocrisy, necessarily, it may be mere example or even illustration of the point. I took the video as an attempt at description rather than as a warning, and the point of the video is not to “debunk” the CT anyway.

dusty (agrees insofar as the line between sociology and propaganda can be rather thin)

Comment

Working...
              X