Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dog Almost Died

Enough of the mass shooting talk.

My little pup is 18 years old. She showed up on my doorstep as a pup along with her sister covered in flees and so dirty when she was about 9 months old. My wife warned me not to feed them, but I'm a bleeding heart for dogs and when we couldn't find anyone who had lost them we just kept them. They won the dog lottery.

Fast forward 16 years later and we lost her sister at the end of 2017 and she's totally blind and last dog we have left. About a couple of weeks ago we notice she's bleeding pretty badly from her mouth. As a blind dog, she tends to run into a lot of things and we took her to the vet and they said not to worry, looks like she knocked a tooth loose, but too old to put under anesthesia to remove it, so they send us home with just some antibiotics. The bleeding just keeps going though and it's pretty heavy. About 2 days later, she seemingly has a seizure. We rush her back to the vet and the vet says it's probably not a seizure, but something called syncope, which looks similar, but probably heart related. They give us some heart meds to help her heart pump and send us home again warning the syncopal episodes may happen every couple of months. Well, she just kept bleeding. Her stools were black indicating a lot of blood, and the syncopal episodes became almost hourly.

The vet says it probably the end, but I just don't believe it. I think it's still from the bleeding and loss of blood. My wife is heartbroken as this is her constant little companion. We get to a Saturday morning where she has already had a couple of episodes that day and we wonder what we should do because the vet closes at noon and we are terrified our dog might suffer through the weekend. Ultimately, I can't put her down. I go online and just see if there's anything I can do. I find a bunch of articles for getting her blood built back up and I figure we have nothing to lose so I basically feed her barely cooked red meat and brown rice for the blood loss and spinach to help the blood clot with the vitamin K. Within a day she starts to improve. Within 3 days the episodes stop completely, Today is about 2.5 weeks later and she's totally back to normal.

What a roller coaster and I know she's still nearly 18 years old, but I was so close to putting her down and now here she is totally back to normal. I can't imagine if we put her down on my wife's birthday what that would have done to my wife so I'm very thankful as I sit here petting her.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Wow, that's amazing... And I'm wondering if you need a new vet. Black stools should be setting off alarm bells, although with an 18-year old pup, the vet might be trying to shield her from heroic efforts. She's had a great run, and I'm glad it's continuing. My 14 year old is definitely starting to have some challenges (stiff joints, going deaf), but he was grinning like a friend running up a hill with our youngster (3 year old hound) earlier today, so he's still enjoying everything but mornings... Like me.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
      Wow, that's amazing... And I'm wondering if you need a new vet. Black stools should be setting off alarm bells, although with an 18-year old pup, the vet might be trying to shield her from heroic efforts. She's had a great run, and I'm glad it's continuing. My 14 year old is definitely starting to have some challenges (stiff joints, going deaf), but he was grinning like a friend running up a hill with our youngster (3 year old hound) earlier today, so he's still enjoying everything but mornings... Like me.
      Thanks! We were pretty clear with the vet we weren't going down the extraordinary efforts path. The vet said the black stools were indicative of an upper GI bleed, but she was bleeding from her mouth pretty heavily so it did align. She was anemic, most likely also from the bleed, I just don't think the vet realized how much she was bleeding.

This is literally the 3rd time this dog has been near death. She ate rat poison as a puppy and spent 3 days in the hospital recovering. Then about 2 years ago she started having trouble walking until she couldn't walk at all. Thought we were going to have to put her down then, but a little gabapentin (which I'm still not sure how it works since it's an epilepsy medicine) and she popped right back and is still on it, now this. This dog is one hell of a fighter.
      "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Gabapentin, while officially approved (a very long time ago) as an anti-seizure med, is helpful for just about any kind of neurological problem in some way or another. It's commonly used for diabetic and other neuropathies (nerve related pain), anxiety, insomnia, and the list goes on. I'm guessing your dog either has diabetes, arthritis, a pinched nerve or a degenerative nerve disease, and the Gabapentin is helping with the symptoms.
        "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

My pup is 14. When he goes it will destroy me.

Pete (understands)

Comment

Steve, if you ever put her down, you will blame yourself forever. If you don't put her down, and she suffers because of it, you will blame yourself forever. That's just the way that works.
            At the precipice, we change!
            The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

Sorry about the doggie : (
              01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

Originally posted by Beemer View Post
                Sorry about the doggie : (
                Thank you Beemer. The crazy thing is, if you saw her today it's like she was never sick. She's our little fighter for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
                  Steve, if you ever put her down, you will blame yourself forever. If you don't put her down, and she suffers because of it, you will blame yourself forever. That's just the way that works.
                  I have had to personally do it twice. Growing up we had Irish Setters and when I moved out after my father died my mom had our last one. Then he got old and of course who does the decision fall upon? Me. We actually went twice to the vet to do it. We were doing it because he could no longer walk, but of course we took him to the vet and they get that adrenaline rush and they can seem fine for just enough time to make you doubt your decision so we took him home. But once home, it went right back to him not being able to walk at all. So took him back and held him in my arms with that feeling of both knowing it's the right thing and feeling guilty as hell.

The second time was with my current dog's sister. She had been sick and was also on heart meds and of course, during hurricane Irma, she goes downhill fast. Nothing is open, no power anywhere, and by the time the emergency vet opened the next morning she had really gone down hill. We rushed to the emergency vet, but I already knew what was coming. I'm a bleeding heart when it comes to dogs, but my wife is even worse and, although she knew it was the right decision, I didn't want her to have to live with the guilt. So once again, I held the little pup in my arms while we gave her peace. Of course you know from an objective perspective, it's the right thing to do, but from the heart you can't help but to feel you are betraying their trust.

It's the price of owning pets that you actually care about.

Comment

I've done it twice myself. And, like a fool, I got another one. One good thing - this one may outlive me.
                    At the precipice, we change!
                    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

I’ve only done it once, and got “lucky” — she had an event, seemed essentially paralyzed by was able to still cry. I waited long enough for it to be clear that she wouldn’t recover, but I have no doubt about having had no choice — my only regret is that I couldn’t tell she wasn’t getting better and was in pain faster. Damn. Writing this hurts.
                      They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                      -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

I will likely never have a second dog.

Pete (never recovers)

Comment

I’m sorry Steve...hang in there.
                          Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy
                          I'm a lot more worried about the commies running DC than I am about commies half way around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                            I will likely never have a second dog.

Pete (never recovers)
                            The trick is getting the second while you still have the first!
                            -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Really glad to hear she's OK.
                              "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Working...
                              X