Acquire board game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never heard of it, but it looks like a fun game, and it's not expensive
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

It is one of the best games ever designed, Sid Sackson's best, and one of my weekly game group's favorites.

Pete (is glad you found it)

Comment

Regarding recommendations, it depends on what about Acquire pleases you:

If you're looking for a light game with stock ownership and player-manipulated payouts, I highly recommend Paris Connection:
        https://www.amazon.com/Paris-Connect...ris+connection

If you're looking for a more thinky game with similar stock-trading mechanisms, try Chicago Express:
        https://www.amazon.com/Asmodee-60522...hicago+express

If you're looking for a light tile-laying game in which you're trying to draw that one tile that makes your game, try Carcassonne or Cacao:
        https://www.amazon.com/ZMan-Games-Ca...ds=carcassonne

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-Z.../dp/B00W0J3Y1G

If you're looking for as a heavier tile-laying game, I can't possibly recommend Tigris and Euphrates enough. But fair warning, it's a brain burner:
        https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Fligh...tes+board+game

If you're looking to spend all your money and become a hardcore gamer, go to www.boardgamegeek.com, make an account, and subscribe to both General Gaming and Hot Deals forums.

Pete (is a regular there)
        Last edited by Plezercruz; 02-25-2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Ordered.

By the way, just taught my 6 year old Carcassonne, she loves it.
          They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
          -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
            Ordered.

By the way, just taught my 6 year old Carcassonne, she loves it.
            Do you play with farms?

Pete (usually plays without farms with the kiddos)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
              Regarding recommendations, it depends on what about Acquire pleases you

If you're looking to spend all your money and become a hardcore gamer, go to www.boardgamegeek.com, make an account, and subscribe to both General Gaming and Hot Deals forums.

Pete (is a regular there)
              Thanks Pete. I was hoping you would provide some recommendations since I figured you are the board game expert. I'll check those out and visit boardgamegeek too.
              One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                Do you play with farms?

Pete (usually plays without farms with the kiddos)
                We do, but we're pretty intensely noncompetitive at the moment (I focus on world building), so confusion doesn't bother anyone.
                They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

What board game do you recommend for a three year old boy and his parents?
                  "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

I'll also point out that no one has yet figured out how to steal cities, roads and fields from each other and I'm not providing any examples, nor am I demonstrating how to screw up someone completing a road or city.... I'm waiting for her to figure it out first.
                    -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
                      I'll also point out that no one has yet figured out how to steal cities, roads and fields from each other and I'm not providing any examples, nor am I demonstrating how to screw up someone completing a road or city.... I'm waiting for her to figure it out first.
                      Yeah...newbies don't understand how cutthroat Carcassonne can be. When you start playing tiles just to block people and stealing points, it's a whole different game!

Pete (plays with farms now with Anna, but limits himself to only four meeples as a handicap, which pretty much gives her free rein on the early farms)

Comment

Originally posted by Jared View Post
                        Uno.

"Ab auf die wippe" is good too (I got it in Germany)

Orchard is a great one. HABA Orchard Game - A Cooperative Game for Ages 3 and Up (Made in Germany) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ELORPY..._lDHLAbE3T78JK
                        -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jared View Post
                          Jester's right...HABA is your company. Some amazing little kids' games.

At age 3, my kids' favorite games were:

Go Away Monster https://www.amazon.com/Go-Away-Monst.../dp/B01EB2SRPC

Not much of a game...you draw items from a pouch and try to be the first to complete your room. When you draw a monster, you yell "GO AWAY MONSTER" at the top of your lungs. Teaches simple concepts of taking turns, managing disappointment, and programmed responses to game states.

Magic Feather https://www.amazon.com/HABA-Magic-Fe.../dp/B01J5T8AZS

In Magic Feathers, you get an actual feather in your color. On your turn, you put it in your hand and blow, sending the feather onto a field of animal tiles, and wherever the "stem" of the feather lands, you get that tile. You need to get both copies of each animal tile, though, and whoever gets the second of the pair gets to keep it, unless the player who got the first has protected it with a pawn. Teaches matching, dealing with getting something stolen from you, some level of dexterity (though controlling your feather is next to impossible).

Monza: https://www.amazon.com/HABA-Racing-E.../dp/B0002HYHT6

A delightful little racing game in which you roll six dice with colors on the faces, then try to match the dice to the racetrack to progress as far on the track as possible. Teaches color matching, racing, and tactical placement, as there are often multiple ways that you can place your dice.

Cariboo Island https://www.amazon.com/Cranium-16576.../dp/B0028Y4RAU

A somewhat trivial game, but the kids adore it, possibly because I always fill the treasure chest with candy before we play. You simply draw a card which gives you either a color or a number (or a letter in the "advanced game") and open a corresponding door, looking to get the six colored disks. When you find then, insert them into a channel, push, and the chest magically opens. Teaches memory, matching, and the overwhelming power of candy to control child behavior.

Pete (thinks the kids have outgrown these, but they love them and are not willing to let him get rid of them yet)

Comment

Here's a game you'll either love or hate, Zach:

Pete (leaves this here so you can chime in)

Comment

Seems a little simple from a game mechanics standpoint -- the guy didn't convince it would be fun.

The molecules seemed valid, although the individual cards aren't molecules, they're atoms.

In summation:

Didn't like the reviewer, unsure about the game, but no major complaints.
                              -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Tom Vasel is the Roger Ebert of board game reviews. His review can at best be described as "okay." There are three "awards" he can give a game, in order of increasing favorability "approved, excellent, and 'into my collection." The fact that he gave it none of these means that he did not particularly like it, but didn't find anything overtly wrong with it either.

Pete (adds that you're not alone in not liking him)
                                Last edited by Plezercruz; 03-04-2018, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X