Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did an alien probe enter our solar system? Asteroid Oumuamua could be artificial, extraterrestrial investigators suggest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An initial search for artificial signals coming from 'Oumuamua, the needle-shaped interloper that zoomed past Earth two months ago, have come up empty, scientists with the $100 million Breakthrough Listen project announced today (Dec. 14).
    https://www.space.com/39100-interste...fe-search.html

It could still be a derelict ship. They have 90 TBs of data to look through.
    Last edited by Just Jon; 12-14-2017, 03:52 PM.
    I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

I was interested in the video graphic which showed the supposed path of the object as it passed the sun. Even at the high rate of speed it possessed, it took a dramatic gravitational turn as it went by. Just seemed too radical to me. Mind you, I'm not suggesting it was powered; I don't think it is anything other than a rock. However, it's just difficult for me to reconcile the change in orbit.
      At the precipice, we change!
      The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Jon View Post
        https://www.space.com/39100-interste...fe-search.html

It could still be a derelict ship. They have 90 TBs of data to look through.
        Or it could simply have thermal and EM shielding. If you were transshipping the galaxy, thermal leakage would scupper any hope of success. If it bleeds excess thermal after getting close to the sun, that might be a clue.
        They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
        -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
          I was interested in the video graphic which showed the supposed path of the object as it passed the sun. Even at the high rate of speed it possessed, it took a dramatic gravitational turn as it went by. Just seemed too radical to me. Mind you, I'm not suggesting it was powered; I don't think it is anything other than a rock. However, it's just difficult for me to reconcile the change in orbit.
          The hyperbolic course is what tipped off astronomers along with its speed. It's moving well past escape velocity for the sun. The course is really the interesting part, though. Orbits are much less eccentric; less than 1. The hyperbola tells us that this object didn't originate in our solar system because it couldn't have been in orbit. I don't think there's anything fishy about the trajectory, though. I haven't seen anyone suggest that the math is odd.

The other evidence that was exciting was that its trajectory showed that it came in from well above the plane of the ecliptic. That can happen with comets but not with that much eccentricity and it never showed a coma.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
            Extreme changes in attitude/direction are quite possible just with gravitational effects; we have done it any number of times, most dramatically with the Voyager 1 and 2 probes. Both of those probes not only changed direction, but gained quite a lot of speed in the process. The energy is taken from the planet's orbital velocity, but the mass x velocity of a planet is so high that the effect on the planet is negligible.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

The Breakthrough Listen "turboSETI" pipeline2 combs the data for narrow bandwidth signals that are drifting in frequency. By matching the rate at which these signals drift to the expected drift due to the motion of ‘Oumuamua (in addition to rejecting interfering signals from human technology that do not match the sky position of the primary target), the software attempts to identify any signals that might be coming from ‘Oumuamua itself.

No such signals have been detected, although the analysis is not yet complete. So far, data from the S-band receiver (covering frequencies from 1.7 to 2.6 GHz) has been processed, and analysis of the remaining three bands is ongoing. A subset of the S-band data is now available for public inspection in the Breakthrough Listen archive3, and additional data will be added as it becomes available.
              https://breakthroughinitiatives.org/news/15

Comment

Astronomers from the Breakthrough Listen initiative have been looking across four different radio frequency bands for anything that might resemble a signal resulting from alien technology.

But their preliminary results have drawn a blank. The latest research - along with a previous academic paper - support a natural origin for the cosmic interloper.
                "It's fascinating that the first interstellar object discovered looks so much like a tiny world from our own home system. This suggests that the way our planets and asteroids formed has a lot of kinship to the systems around other stars."
                http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42397398

Comment

Rocks are rocks!

Comment

The space interloper 'Oumuamua is spinning chaotically and will carry on doing so for more than a billion years.

That is the conclusion of new Belfast research that has examined in detail the light bouncing off the cigar-shaped asteroid from outside our Solar System.

"At some point or another it's been in a collision," says Dr Wes Fraser from Queen's University.
                    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43018706

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ha...cid=spartandhp

Comment

The alien probe has entered the orbit of Uranus.
                        "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Otherwise known as a black hole.

Comment

I sing my kids "The Planets Song" most nights when I put them to bed. When I get to Uranus, I always pronounce it "yurr-ah-nuss" in part because it has to rhyme with "dust." Both children loudly complain that it's actually pronounced "Your Anus."

Pete (tries not to snicker, but sometimes fails)

Comment

Working...
                            X