No announcement yet.

Authorities respond to reports of shots fired at a Florida high school

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe he is severely OCD, and he really likes the number ten?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

• https://abc7chicago.com/police-arres...sacre/5331407/

Police arrest ex-deputy who 'did absolutely nothing to mitigate' school massacre

A former Florida sheriff's deputy has been arrested on felony charges over his handling of the deadly mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland last year.

Broward County Sheriff's Office Deputy Scot Peterson, 56, was terminated from his position and charged with multiple counts of child neglect on Tuesday after an internal investigation found that he retreated while students were under attack in the February 2018 shooting, that left 17 people dead.

Internal investigators claimed Peterson "did absolutely nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting," according to a statement. He faces seven counts of neglect of a child, three counts of culpable negligence and one count of perjury.
      Pete (isn't sure what to make of that)

Comment

• I'll be honest, I'm deeply troubled by the idea that fleeing an active shooter situation is a criminal act -- this wasn't a soldier, not even an active duty police officer, it was a school safety officer. I would guess the job duties and compensation/liability plan did not call for him to risk his life in the line of duty. I'm totally on board with firing the coward, but I don't think that self-preservation is illegal unless you actively endanger others in the process.

I'd be curious if anyone can frame a counterargument, even if they agree with me overall.
        They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
        -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

• There is Supreme Court case law that says police have no duty to protect you if you're not in police custody. I'll be surprised if these charges stick.
          "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

• The perjury charge sticks out as one that might stick.

Pete (agrees with Jester's assessment of the rest)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jester View Post
              I'll be honest, I'm deeply troubled by the idea that fleeing an active shooter situation is a criminal act -- this wasn't a soldier, not even an active duty police officer, it was a school safety officer. I would guess the job duties and compensation/liability plan did not call for him to risk his life in the line of duty. I'm totally on board with firing the coward, but I don't think that self-preservation is illegal unless you actively endanger others in the process.

I'd be curious if anyone can frame a counterargument, even if they agree with me overall.
              Not a counterargument, but what were his duties and compensation/liability plan designed to do? What was his weapon for? Those were innocent children in his charge. He had no choice in the matter.
              At the precipice, we change!
              The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

• I don't expect to go to jail if I do my job shitty.

Pete (shrugs)

Comment

• Originally posted by skooly View Post
                  There is Supreme Court case law that says police have no duty to protect you if you're not in police custody. I'll be surprised if these charges stick.
                  That's the first thing I thought of skooly. Being a pussy isn't criminal.

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away, plus they may not even help you when they get there.

Steve (also thinks about that SCOTUS ruling when gun grabbers argue only the police should have guns)
                  "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

• I don’t think there are enough jail cells if we’re going to imprison cops for doing a shitty job...
                    Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy
                    I'm a lot more worried about the commies running DC than I am about commies half way around the world.

Comment

Working...
                    X