Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tennessee store puts 'No Gays Allowed' sign back up after Supreme Court cake ruling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #1
    In the ideal Libertarian state, are all forms of private discrimination allowed?
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

    Comment


    • #2
      Originally posted by skooly View Post
      In the ideal Libertarian state, are all forms of private discrimination allowed?
      Sure, including discrimination against discriminators.

      Pete (sees no reason to force people to associate at gunpoint)

      Comment


      • #3
        Originally posted by skooly View Post
        In the ideal Libertarian state, are all forms of private discrimination allowed?
        Forcing someone to like those different from them is about as practical as forcing people to be patriotic. I wish the racists and bigots would be more open about their prejudices so that those of us that disagree can take our business elsewhere. I won't be doing business with anyone who posts no gays allowed signs.

        Comment


        • #4
          They won't do business with gays. You won't do business with anyone who won't do business with gays. Is there a real difference there?

          Mind you, I don't hold it against you for not doing business with them. I'm just wondering if this isn't a little bit circular.

          Oh, wait! You said you won't do business with anyone who "posts no gays allowed signs". Perhaps that's different. Well, no, not really.

          Darn it. Now I've gone and confused myself.

          BTW. You mentioned recently being in OKC. Were you on a job there? I lived there for 20+ years in the same area where you were.
          At the precipice, we change!
          The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

          Comment


          • #5
            What a strange world it would be if we just let people choose for themselves!

            Pete (can't imagine how that could possibly work)

            Comment


            • #6
              As I understand the Cake Store decision, one factor the majority found material was that the cake store did NOT ban the gay couple from shopping there.
              As I understand it, they told them they could buy anything in the store -- the baker just wasn't going to make them a custom cake for their gay wedding celebration.

              Putting a "no gays allowed" sign on the window of the hardware store seems less likely to be justified by this Court (meaning, by Justice Kennedy).

              dusty (notes that another fact described as material by the SCOTUS decision was that gay marriage was not legal in Colorado when the incident occurred)
              For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
              If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

              "Weíve always assumed that you canít bring back the dead. But itís a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

              Comment


              • #7
                The mission of all Christians should be to win more people to Christ. How does refusing to bake a gay wedding cake accomplish that mission?

                Comment


                • #8
                  What if a doctor put a sign in his window saying "No gays allowed"?

                  It's hard to take a side in this issue; no Flag.
                  At the precipice, we change!
                  The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

                  Comment


                  • #9
                    Nobody should be forced to engage in business they donít want to. Iím not for any government force to do so. But for Christians to do so, is totally hypocritical to me. Just the other day in the news, there was a guy crying about being kicked out of a bar for wearing a cross. Iím sure they sided with the baker. Now that itís happened to them, theyíre upset. Donít tie your own noose.

                    https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...laims.amp.html

                    Comment


                    • #10
                      Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                      What a strange world it would be if we just let people choose for themselves!

                      Pete (can't imagine how that could possibly work)
                      The horror! People choosing for themselves? Idiots being allowed to advertise their small-minded bigotry so everyone else can know not to give them their money? How could any of that ever work?

                      Steve (notes the irony of the anti-gun crowd really loving to put guns to everyone's heads for everything)
                      "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

                      Comment


                      • #11
                        Originally posted by dusty View Post
                        As I understand the Cake Store decision, one factor the majority found material was that the cake store did NOT ban the gay couple from shopping there.
                        As I understand it, they told them they could buy anything in the store -- the baker just wasn't going to make them a custom cake for their gay wedding celebration.

                        Putting a "no gays allowed" sign on the window of the hardware store seems less likely to be justified by this Court (meaning, by Justice Kennedy).

                        dusty (notes that another fact described as material by the SCOTUS decision was that gay marriage was not legal in Colorado when the incident occurred)
                        My reading of that case led me to think the Court focused more on the conduct of the authorities in that matter and the finding that they were actively antagonistic to religion than the conduct of the cake store itself. That is, if the authorities were even handed, they might not have found for the cake store owner.

                        Pete (thinks that case is very limited to its particular facts)

                        Comment


                        • #12
                          Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                          My reading of that case led me to think the Court focused more on the conduct of the authorities in that matter and the finding that they were actively antagonistic to religion than the conduct of the cake store itself. That is, if the authorities were even handed, they might not have found for the cake store owner.

                          Pete (thinks that case is very limited to its particular facts)
                          Absolutely.
                          For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
                          If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

                          "Weíve always assumed that you canít bring back the dead. But itís a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

                          Comment


                          • #13
                            "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will be judged by the color of their skin, not by the content of their character."

                            - Martin Libertarian King, Jr.
                            "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

                            Comment


                            • #14
                              Originally posted by skooly View Post
                              "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will be judged by the color of their skin, not by the content of their character."

                              - Martin Libertarian King, Jr.
                              "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ĖMark Twain

                              Comment


                              • #15
                                Originally posted by skooly View Post
                                "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will be judged by the color of their skin, not by the content of their character."

                                - Martin Libertarian King, Jr.
                                Yes, your hatred of freedom and love of the statist nanny has been duly noted. No need to keep bashing everyone over the head with it. Your constant insulting mischaracterizations of people who believe they have a right to be free and not be threatened by your mob with force and violence have turned this site from a joy to look forward to into a chore to be avoided.
                                "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X