G.M. to Idle Plants and Cut Thousands of Jobs as Sales Slow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.M. to Idle Plants and Cut Thousands of Jobs as Sales Slow

General Motors announced Monday that it planned to idle five factories in North America and cut roughly 14,000 jobs in a bid to trim costs. It was a jarring reflection of the auto industryís adjustment to changing consumer tastes and sluggish sales.

The move, which follows job reductions by Ford Motor Company, further pares the work force in a sector that President Trump had promised to bolster. Referring to G.M.ís chief executive, Mary T. Barra, he told reporters, ďI spoke to her and I stressed the fact that I am not happy with what she did.Ē

Mr. Trump also invoked the rescue of G.M. after its bankruptcy filing almost a decade ago. ďYou know, the United States saved General Motors,Ē he told reporters, ďand for her to take that company out of Ohio is not good. I think sheís going to put something back in soon.Ē

In addition to an assembly plant in Lordstown, Ohio, the cuts affect factories in Michigan, Maryland and the Canadian province of Ontario.

Part of the retrenchment is a response to a slowdown in new-car salesthat has prompted automakers to slim their operations and shed jobs. And earlier bets on smaller cars have had to be unwound as consumers have gravitated toward pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles as a result of low gasoline prices.

In addition, automakers have paid a price for the trade battle that Mr. Trump set in motion. In June G.M. slashed its profit outlook for the year because tariffs were driving up production costs, raising prices even on domestic steel. Rising interest rates are also generating headwinds.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/b...gtype=Homepage
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

"But he's good for the economy!"

Comment

"Trumbull County, Ohio, shifted 30 points to vote Trump. That didnít save its car plant."
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.6c01ed492b11

Comment

That Oshawa plant is a real shame.

Pete (lists it as the best plant he's ever worked in)

Comment

"Lots of car and other companies moving back!" he declared in August. In April, he tweeted before a rally in Michigan: "Major business expansion and jobs pouring into your State. Auto companies expanding at record pace."

Comment

Donald Trump campaigned for president on a promise to Michigan auto workers that ďIf Iím elected, you wonít lose one plant, youíll have plants coming into this country, youíre going to have jobs again, you wonít lose one plant, I promise you that.Ē
            https://www.thenation.com/article/gm...ichigan-trump/

Comment

I almost wonder if GM is going to get lavished with all sorts of benefits to head off these closures...

Pete (would almost suggest that such threats are profitable in the current regime)

Comment

GM has lost, what, a billion dollars so far because of the tariffs? The company I work for has lost more than half a million since August and that's with maybe $180 million in total sales, so it's a big deal here.
                I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                  I almost wonder if GM is going to get lavished with all sorts of benefits to head off these closures...

Pete (would almost suggest that such threats are profitable in the current regime)
                  No. Trump's MO is to issue threats. And the incentive he gives is to pull back those threats.

Comment

Obama: Iíll Buy A Chevy Volt After My Presidency Ends

Ever since Barack Obama became president in 2008, he hasnít been given much chance to drive a car, let alone own one. But when his presidency ends, Mr. Obama knows exactly what car he wants to buy as his post-presidential ride -- a plug-in Chevrolet Volt. ďFive years from now when Iím not president anymore, Iíll buy one and drive it...

Comment

Hope Barry managed to pick one up before they all dissappear...
                      They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                      -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
                        Hope Barry managed to pick one up before they all dissappear...
                        He never bought one.

Comment

then, I guess the answer is nope.
                          They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                          -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Wow, Obama destroyed the company with the lack of one purchase. That dude has some power.
                            01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

Can we just let GM die already?

Pete (thinks they're about 40 years overdue)

Comment

Working...
                              X