The Three Most Chilling Conclusions From the Climate Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Three Most Chilling Conclusions From the Climate Report

Thirteen federal agencies agree: Climate change has already wreaked havoc on the United States, and the worst is likely yet to come.

On Friday afternoon, the U.S. government published a major and ominous climate report. Despite being released on a holiday, when it seemed the smallest number of people would be paying attention, the latest installment of the National Climate Assessment is, as told to my colleague Robinson Meyer, full of “information that every human needs.”

Here are the report’s three most chilling conclusions:

1. Extreme hot weather is getting more common, and cold weather more rare.

2. Climate change has doubled the devastation from wildfires in the Southwest.

3. Rising sea levels will necessitate mass migrations, and coastal cities aren't doing enough.
    More here: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...ssment/576598/
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

I'm sure Pete is thrilled about the first conclusion.

Comment

Keep it coming!

Pete (walked out to an unforgivable 15 degree morning today)

Comment

Meanwhile, we've had one of the earliest winters ever here and a top 5 snowfall for November since recording began (10 inches of snow at my house in one night with a BLIZZARD in November!). It has been extremely cold here and it isn't even winter yet. We still have another month before winter begins and we have January weather. Hmph.
        I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Jon, I can’t tell if you’re trying to use that as evidence against the report or in support of the report....

zach(is actually pretty sure the answer is “neither”)
          They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
          -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Jon's point about the weather is irrelevant because we're talking about climate, not weather.
            "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Whatever improves weather here is a good thing.

Pete (cheers for warmer)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                Whatever improves weather here is a good thing.

Pete (cheers for warmer)
                Well you should know by now it doesn't work that way. Global climate change makes the weather worse just about everywhere. Including causing horrible winter storms in the US midwest.
                For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
                If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Whether the weather is cold, or whether the weather is hot. We’ll weather the weather whatever the weather, whether we like it or not.
                  They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                  -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post

Well you should know by now it doesn't work that way. Global climate change makes the weather worse just about everywhere. Including causing horrible winter storms in the US midwest.
                    So, what can be done to make the weather static?
                    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

It can't be worse everywhere...

Pete (thought people considered it good to want change)

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                        Jon's point about the weather is irrelevant because we're talking about climate, not weather.
                        Wow, you don't even try to make talking points look like your own anymore.
                        "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                          It can't be worse everywhere...

Pete (thought people considered it good to want change)
                          Yes it can.

I don't know if you're really not concerned about the ever worsening climate trends, and if you are not, why not. You should be. There is plenty of evidence.

dusty (sees Pete supporting the status quo)
                          If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Originally posted by Jared View Post

So, what can be done to make the weather static?
                            Sigh. So few here take the threats and promises of this trend seriously.

To answer your question: you can't make weather static just like you can't make your wealth static. Both will vary all the time and will oscillate, due to many many factors and changing conditions. But you can invest in strategies to make it more likely for your wealth to improve over time, or you can just go about your business without worrying about any of that, and likely allow thereby your wealth to consistently degrade over time instead.

You can burn money or you can save money; and you can burn up the planet or you can save it too.

dusty (thinks nobody should be content living on a frying pan with the temps going up, and hopes enough people notice before we're totally cooked)

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                              Climate is dependent on weather.
                              I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X