For Defense Against Active Shooters, University Hands Out Hockey Pucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
    I'm not sure there is such a thing as "sufficient police coverage". How often have we seen police at the scene of any shooting as it took place? Just doesn't work that way. If you are in victim status at the time of a shooting, your only hope is to be armed yourself or in the presence of someone who is. The police will clean up later.
    When the police are there they stay outside until the shooting stops. Then they retire and and the same families who's children they let die get to pay for their pensions.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
      It's like you didn't even read what I wrote.

Pete (wonders what percentage of shootings in Afghanistan are reported and investigated)
      I don't consider the source credible. The rest of your argument relies on pure speculation.
      "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
        You're expecting intellectual honesty from Skooly when it comes to guns? The guy wants all guns in private hands confiscated. He'll say that's not true, but we all know it is.
        Another deliberate mischaracterization of everything I've said over the last 15 years. And you talk about intellectual honesty?

It's like me petitioning to lower the speed limit on a roadway, and you shriek "He wants to ban cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post

I don't consider the source credible. The rest of your argument relies on pure speculation.
          What's wrong with the source? Is Mr. Lott's data somehow deficient? All he did was focus on large-scale shootings to weed out simple crimes.

Pete (also wonders whether you think the speculation is unwarranted)

Comment

For a very thorough explanation why that article is extremely misleading, take a look at the link. Here is a snippet:

"The CPRC ranking shared by Fox News mostly accurately presents the average annual death rate from mass shootings, as defined by the CPRC, between 2009 and 2015. However, those figures are actually highly misleading, and use a particular type of statistical average to create the false impression that mass shootings are less frequent and less deadly in the United States than in European countries.

In reality, mass shootings are rare outside the United States even in the sixteen countries listed by Lott where there was a mass shooting between 2009 and 2015, and even after accounting for population size. But on the rare occasions when mass shootings do take place in European countries, they give rise to a relatively high annual mass shooting death rate in those years because of the comparatively small populations of those countries.

Between 2009 and 2015, the United States was the only country on that list where someone died every year in a mass shooting. Every other country had at least five out seven years without a death from a mass shooting.

Finally, the death rate from mass shootings has significantly increased in the United States since Lott published his research in 2015. We applied the CPRC criteria to the frequently updated of mass shootings maintained by Mother Jones, and found that in 2016, there were 65 deaths in incidents that would be designated mass shootings under CPRC criteria, and in 2017 there were 94. Over the two years, that is an average annual death rate of 0.24 per million people, which is almost three times higher than the United States death rate between 2009 and 2015. database In other words, things have become dramatically worse in the United States since the CPRC research was first published."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/un...ath-shootings/

skooly (finds the NYT more credible)

Comment

Wait...so if the guy divides by small populations and gets a larger ratio, that's unfair? Isn't that the whole point?

Pete (thinks the snopes explanation is lunacy)

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post

Another deliberate mischaracterization of everything I've said over the last 15 years. And you talk about intellectual honesty?

It's like me petitioning to lower the speed limit on a roadway, and you shriek "He wants to ban cars!"
                Whatever you say pal.

Steve (knows there is little doubt what the true agenda is)
                "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

For all the reasons stated, it's a joke of a research article.

If you want to persuade me, find a more credible source.

Comment

Working...
                  X