Defensive Gun use thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive Gun use thread

Defensive gun use tends not to be newsworthy. After all, it's usually the absence of anything serious happening. Any standoff that doesn't result in an actual shooting is a non-event from a news standpoint.

The major exception seems to be when a woman takes down an attacking man. And even then, it's usually only the right wing news reporting it. Thus:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-...-home-intruder

Michigan woman headed for church shoots, kills home intruder

Three Michigan women whose departure for church Sunday was interrupted by a home invader fought back against their assailant, with one of the women reportedly opening fire on the would-be thief and killing him.

Detroit Police said three women -- ages 75, 55 and 29 -- were leaving for church about 10:30 a.m. when a man confronted them in the home's driveway and forced them back inside. None of the women were identified.
    https://fox5sandiego.com/2018/12/04/...down-her-door/

Woman shoots, kills escaped inmate after he kicks down her door

A South Carolina woman shot and killed an escaped inmate after the man kicked down her back door and walked into her home early Tuesday morning, according the Pickens County Sheriff’s Office.

Bruce McLaughlin Jr., 30, was still wearing his orange prison clothing when he entered the woman's Pickens home just before 3 a.m., Pickens County Sheriff Rick Clark said during a press conference.

"The victim was trapped in her home, in her bedroom,” Clark said. “[She] was in fear for her life, she used lethal force to protect herself."

Pete (will try to keep this updated)

Last edited by Plezercruz; 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM.

This one is a bit older (article is from last week, the other two were this week).

https://www.kctv5.com/news/no-charge...da6cc020b.html

No charges filed against 74-year-old woman who fatally shot burglar

Leavenworth County will not file charges against a 74-year-old woman who shot and killed a man as he broke into her home.

The district attorney says it’s clear the shooting was self defense.

The 74-year-old woman is recovering from a heart attack she suffered right after Saturday night’s ordeal.
    Pete (wonders what chance she had without the gun)

Comment

This is exactly the situation that Stand Your Ground laws cover. There are a number of states on the eastern seaboard that mandate a resident retreat from an intruder, up to and including leaving the residence, before using any force against the intruder. There were a number of prosecutions against residents who shot, stabbed or bludgeoned an intruder. Additionally, there were some high profile cases coming from England in which a number of people were given lengthy jail sentences for defending themselves against intruders.

This led a number of states to enact Stand Your Ground laws which specifically exempt a resident or someone legally carrying a concealed firearm from prosecution in cases of self defense. Most of these laws also protect homeowners from civil lawsuits regarding injury caused not only by the resident, but also the intruders stupidity.

There have been any number of cases where a would be intruder fell through a skylight and suffered injury, or broke a sliding glass door and rrcieved severe lacerations and nerve damage, and then successfully sued the homeowner for sometimes large amounts of money.
      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

In US jurisdictions where the castle doctrine applies, there is no duty to retreat before deadly force is used against an intruder by a person in their home or, in some jurisdictions, just simply where the person can legally be.
        "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
          Defensive gun use tends not to be newsworthy. After all, it's usually the absence of anything serious happening. Any standoff that doesn't result in an actual shooting is a non-event from a news standpoint.

The major exception seems to be when a woman takes down an attacking man. And even then, it's usually only the right wing news reporting it. Thus:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-...-home-intruder

https://fox5sandiego.com/2018/12/04/...down-her-door/

Pete (will try to keep this updated)

Defensive gun use doesn't fit the majority of the MSM's narrative so why would they report it? Fact is we have no idea how many lives are saved and crimes are thwarted because of the presence of a defensive gun.
          "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Let me know when someone saves 20 elementary school kids with their AR-15.

Comment

https://wtvr.com/2018/12/07/video-sh...ring-break-in/

A California woman was caught off guard when an intruder squeezed through a doggy door at her home.

Surveillance video shows same man at her door walk into her backyard. He took off his jacket before squeezing through her 10-inch-wide, 20-inch-tall doggy door.

Linberg, who has taken self defense classes, then armed herself. She declined to say what that weapon was.

Linberg raced into a downstairs room, just in time to see the man’s feet in the dog door. This time, he was on his way out. She gave chase down the street. He got away, but not before cameras caught a good look.
              Pete (isn't sure the woman had a gun, but has to imagine she had substantial weaponry to take on an intruder)

Comment

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loca...29ea3b585.html

Police arrest accomplices of man shot during home invasion in which dog was killed

Police have arrested two men allegedly involved in a break-in at an east Tulsa apartment that left another man wounded and a dog dead early Thursday.

Case Vermaire, 23, and Trevor George, 20, were booked into the Tulsa County jail on complaints of robbery with a firearm and first-degree burglary, with bond set at $70,000.

Police were initially dispatched around 4 a.m. to the Bristol Park Apartments, near East 41st Street and Garnett Road, after residents reported hearing gunfire. Around the same time, an apartment resident reported that he had shot an intruder.
                Pete (hates dogkillers)

Comment

https://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.co...leged-intruder
                  Sheriff’s Office: Blue Creek woman shoots, kills alleged intruder

The Scioto County Sheriff’s Office says a Blue Creek resident shot and killed a would-be intruder during an alleged burglary Thursday.

In a prepared statement, the sheriff’s office stated they received a 911 call on Dec. 6 from an individual at 3758 Mackletree Rd., located in Blue Creek, reporting they had shot another individual trying to break into the home.

Officials did not report the time of the incident, but a press release on the shooting was sent out Thursday evening about 6:30 p.m.
                  Pete (adds another)
                  Last edited by Plezercruz; 12-07-2018, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                    Let me know when someone saves 20 elementary school kids with their AR-15.
                    I know you're horrible at math so you probably don't realize that even if you could magically remove every homicide in America from AR15s (or probably every long gun period) the numbers wouldn't even budge.

Even so, I still entertain your hysteria and give you something else to try to ignore as you are certain to do.

1. Harris County, Texas (2013)

A 15-year-old boy saved both his life and the life of his 12-year-old sister by fending off a pair of home invaders with his father’s AR-15.

2. Rochester, New York (2013)

Two armed burglars retreated from a college student’s apartment after coming face-to-face with an unloaded AR-15. The rifle itself instilled enough fear to cause them to flee.

3. Ferguson, Missouri (2014)

During the Ferguson, Missouri, riots, nearly all businesses within a particular 2-square-mile area of the city were looted or destroyed—except for one. African-American men guarded the gas station and convenience store of a white friend from looters and rioters. They did so armed with an AR-15, a MAC-10 “machine pistol,” and a variety of handguns.

4. Houston, Texas (2017)

A target of a drive-by shooting successfully fended off the attack by using his legally owned AR-15 against his three armed attackers. He was able to hit all three men in the moving vehicle.

5. Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (2017)

A homeowner’s 19-year-old son used an AR-15 to defend himself against three would-be burglars who broke into the home in broad daylight. The 19-year-old was later determined to have acted in justifiable self-defense.

6. Sutherland Springs, Texas (2017)

After a gunman opened fire on congregants inside First Baptist Church, a man living near the place of worship grabbed his AR-15 and engaged the shooter. The shooter subsequently dropped his own firearm and fled the scene as the courageous neighbor pursued him.

7. Oswego, Illinois (2018)

A man with an AR-15 intervened to stop a neighbor’s knife attack on a pregnant woman. The rifle’s “intimidation factor” was credited as a reason why the attacker dropped his knife.

8. Catawba County, Illinois (2018)

After his 17-year-old relative successfully used his own firearm to fend off three would-be robbers who attacked him in the driveway of his home, a man used his AR-15 to stop a threat from one of the would-be robber’s upset family members.
                    https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/03/...d-lives-ar-15/

I could post hundreds more and waste my time, but if you actually cared truth you could easily google it yourself.

Steve (knows you can't change the mind of someone who acts only on emotion)

"Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Aurora: AR-15
                      Orlando: AR-15
                      Parkland: AR-15
                      Las Vegas: AR-15
                      Sandy Hook: AR-15
                      Texas Church: AR-15
                      San Bernardino: AR-15
                      Waffle House: AR-15

It's the mass murderer's weapon of choice.

Comment

Aurora: AR-15
                        Orlando: AR-15
                        Parkland: AR-15
                        Las Vegas: AR-15
                        Sandy Hook: AR-15
                        Texas Church: AR-15
                        San Bernardino: AR-15
                        Waffle House: AR-15

It's the mass murderer's weapon of choice.
                        This just might be the dumbest post of all time. Congratulations, you win!

By the definition of mass shootings you push here, the AR15 isn't even on the radar vs handguns. Again, math is hard there sport.

Steve (laughs at the appeal to emotion that has no basis in statistical reality)
                        Last edited by Mr. Raceboy; 12-07-2018, 11:53 PM.

Comment

We were talking about the AR-15, not handguns. Remember? Don't switch the subject just because the evidence looks bad for you.

Comment

We were talking about the AR-15, not handguns. Remember? Don't switch the subject just because the evidence looks bad for you.
                            So we can't talk about the statistically larger threat because you don't want to because it doesn't fit your current agenda and it's me moving the goal posts? You're great at playing the idiot when it comes to guns, but I give you credit for never breaking character.

Again, math is hard.

Comment

Is the "Great Moments in Gun History" thread gone? I liked reading the juxtaposed stories on both sides.

Also, I think I am unable to comment in reply to the polls. I can vote in the polls.
                              For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
                              If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Working...
                              X