Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis Resigns Over Trump’s Order to Withdraw Troops From Syria

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense Secretary Jim Mattis Resigns Over Trump’s Order to Withdraw Troops From Syria

Jim Mattis, the four-star Marine general turned defense secretary, resigned on Thursday in protest of President Trump’s decision to withdraw 2,000 American troops from Syria, where they have been fighting the Islamic State.

Mr. Trump announced the resignation in two tweets Thursday evening, and said Mr. Mattis will leave at the end of February.

Officials said Mr. Mattis went to the White House on Thursday afternoon in a last attempt to convince Mr. Trump to keep American troops in Syria. He was rebuffed, and told the president that he was resigning as a result.

Hours later, the Pentagon released Mr. Mattis’ resignation letter, in which he implicitly criticized his commander in chief. Mr. Mattis said in the letter that he believes that the president deserves a defense secretary who is more in tune with his worldview.

“One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships,” Mr. Mattis wrote.

“Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position,” he wrote.

His departure leaves the Trump administration without one of the few officials viewed as standing between a mercurial president and global tumult. The president said he would name Mr. Mattis’ replacement shortly.

The president’s tweets announcing the departure of his defense secretary shocked officials at the Pentagon, who as recently as Thursday afternoon were insisting that Mr. Mattis had no intention of resigning his post, despite his anger at Mr. Trump’s decision, announced on Wednesday, to withdraw American troops from Syria.

Mr. Mattis had told close friends that he would continue in the job despite his deteriorating relationship with Mr. Trump, because he viewed his commitment to protecting the Defense Department and its 1.3 million active duty service members as paramount.

The widely accepted narrative that Mr. Mattis was the adult in the room when at the White House came to annoy Mr. Trump. In October, the president accused Mr. Mattis of being a Democrat — a charge akin to treason in the current Republican administration.

“This is scary,” Senator Mark Warner of Virginia, the top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, said in a tweet. He called Mr. Mattis “an island of stability amidst the chaos of the Trump administration.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/u...gtype=Homepage
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Ben Carson...still hanging on.

Pete (wonders what the hell Trump's thinking about Syria)

Comment

"Durka Durka jihad"
      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

We’re pulling out of Afghanistan and Syria, no border wall, and the government may shutdown . It’s a Christmas miracle!!!
        Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy
        I'm a lot more worried about the commies running DC than I am about commies half way around the world.

Comment

Remember that government shut downs cost more than not shut downs, as we give everyone who didn’t work back pay...
          They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
          -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Wait...I never said that!!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46775308

Syria conflict: Bolton says US withdrawal is conditional

The withdrawal of US troops from Syria depends on certain conditions, US National Security Adviser John Bolton says, in a further indication that the process is being slowed down.

On a trip to Israel and Turkey, he said he would seek Turkish assurances that Kurds in northern Syria would be safe.

The US also wants to ensure that the remnants of the Islamic State (IS) group are defeated, he added.

However, speaking on Sunday before leaving for his Camp David retreat, he told reporters: "We're going to be removing our troops. I never said we were doing it that quickly.

"We're pulling out of Syria... and we won't be finally pulled out until Isis [IS] is gone."

When he first announced the move in the middle of December, he said: "They're all coming back and they're coming back now."
            Pete (thought it was bad when Obama declared it "not his red line" but this takes the cake)

Comment

So Mattis quit over this and now the Trump Admin. is walking back the withdrawal? That would be funny if it weren't real life.
              I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

We had something like that happen here at work. We hired a new guy to oversee the work of this one lady. The lady got pissed off and quit. Then we had to fire the new guy because he had nobody to oversee and was also an idiot.

Pete (laughed at us, and laughs at them)

Comment

Working...
                X