Gun Use Surges in Europe, Where Firearms Are Rare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Use Surges in Europe, Where Firearms Are Rare

When hundreds of women were sexually assaulted on New Year’s Eve in several German cities three years ago, Carolin Matthie decided it was time to defend herself. The 26-year-old Berlin student quickly applied for a gun permit, fearing many women would have the same idea and flood the application process.

“If I don’t do it now, I will have to wait maybe another half year,” she recalls thinking.

Gun ownership is rising across Europe, a continent that until recently faced far less gun crime and violence than much of the globe. Not long ago it was rare to see armed British police.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/gun-use...re-11546857000

ZURICH/BERLIN (Reuters) - Europeans in a number of countries are seeking to arm themselves with guns and self-defense devices in growing numbers following a series of attacks by militants and the mentally ill.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKCN10Y19U

BERLIN — There was a time in Europe when it was easier for terrorists to buy chemicals and build bombs than to obtain military-style firearms. Then came the November 2015 Paris attacks that served as a devastating wake-up call for how much the threat posed by terrorists, and their weapons, had changed.

Now, an international group of researchers is warning that the firearms trade that enabled militants to obtain those assault rifles is, in fact, still expanding. Militants determined to strike European targets are among the groups and individuals benefiting the most from what the researchers are describing as an “arms race.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e47f531a2098

I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

It's all well and good to be "anti-gun" until people actually need them.

Pete (probably won't buy a gun unless the crime rate where he lives goes up)

Comment

In contrast to most of the rest of the US, crime in Chicago is going up. I suggest you get one of these, just in case:

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

It might be tricky to carry concealed, but if you take Biden's advice and "fire a blast into the air," you're pretty likely to wipe out the threat. Along with the rest of the block... but this is the United states, and according to our foreign policy, we're ok with a little collateral damage.
        "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
          It's all well and good to be "anti-gun" until people actually need them.

Pete (probably won't buy a gun unless the crime rate where he lives goes up)
          Most people aren’t “anti gun” but are rather “pro regulation.” Conflating the two is specious. We can still have a meaningful 2A with better controls.
          "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

I don't know of anyone I trust to come up with "better controls". And, once that's done, to leave them the crap alone in the future.
            At the precipice, we change!
            The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

The real problem is that there's no way to increase controls without criminalizing otherwise non-criminal people.

furthermore, people who own guns have long since learned that negotiating with anti-gunners is like negotiating with Trump.

in California, there have been four separate assault weapon laws enacted, and every time they fail to fix all the gun violence, we hear "just one more sensible law," and, "why won't these crazy gun people negotiate with us?"

in 1988, it was perfectly legal to buy a gun at a garage sale cash and carry. In 1989, the same transaction required the buyer *and* seller to go to an FFL, present ID, fill out the form, pay a fee, and then leave the gun at the FFL for 15 days, when, if approved, the buyer had to go back, present ID again and give a thumbprint. If, for any reason the DOJ failed to approve the transaction (not uncommon; they get stuff wrong al the time), the original owner had to go back to the FFL, pay a fee, have a background check performed, submit a thumbprint, and then wait 15 days before they could get their gun back.

want to buy a new gun in CA? It's the same process without the seller.

it's not about safety, it's about penalizing a particular group of people, and making the process so difficult and expensive that nobody wants to enter the sport. As stated by any number of politicians and supposedly non-partisan bureaucrats. And it's working.

Comment

Working...
              X