X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skooly
    started a topic Chicago braces for brutal temperatures

Chicago braces for brutal temperatures

Chicago is bracing for bitter cold nearing record-low temperatures this week.

One of the coldest air masses in years will drop temperatures to around 23 below zero by Tuesday night, according to the National Weather Service, with a daytime high of about minus 14 on Wednesday and another plunge to minus 25 overnight.

The lowest temperature ever recorded in Chicago was minus 27 on Jan. 20, 1985.

ďIf you donít have to be outside, donít,Ē said National Weather Service meteorologist Amy Seeley.

The frigid conditionscould feel as low as 50 degrees below zero with 30 mph wind gusts, according to the weather service. Frostbite could hit in a matter of minutes, experts say.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...128-story.html

• Jester
    replied
    We just had a few Frost quakes out here in MA last week. I still don't fully understand what they are, but they aren't always harmless -- glad you're was.

Leave a comment:

• Plezercruz
    replied
    We didn't set the record. We bottomed out at -25 degrees.

Nearby Rockford, IL did set an all time record, hitting -29 degrees last night, the coldest temperature ever recorded in Rockford.

Pete (counts it)

Leave a comment:

• Plezercruz
    replied
    Today I learned what a frost quake is...the hard way.

Pete (was puzzled and a bit frightened, but it turns out to be harmless)

Leave a comment:

• Jester
    replied
    Breaking records is fun and all, but Iím not sure Iím rooting for it.

Leave a comment:

• Plezercruz
    replied
    If we break it it will be tonight. We're sitting at -16 now and it will bottom out around 6AM. My phone is currently forecasting a low of -25, so it's in play.

Pete (thinks we hit -23 last night)

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Did you get your record cold temperature?

Leave a comment:

• Plezercruz
    replied
    Originally posted by Jester View Post
    wow! I'm impressed you didn't just put paper down for pip. How'd the little one handle the epic cold?
    Better than me. I've mastered bundling him up and he handles severe cold like a champ. I'm usually begging him to let me get back inside.

Pete (would imagine Pip would freeze his ass off, as that part is not covered by his coat, but he handles it just fine)

Leave a comment:

• Beemer
    replied
    It was -20 now it warmed to -14

Leave a comment:

• skooly
    replied
    I woke up this morning and it was 64 degrees in the house and I put on socks and turned the oven on!

Leave a comment:

• buzzardmountain
    replied
    I donít know how you guys do it. Iím freezing here in NC and itís only 35 degrees with about a 15 mph wind. Iím literally going to freeze to death.

Leave a comment:

• Beemer
    replied
    Well the news is fake anyhow, I'm not going to believe what they say the temperature is.

Leave a comment:

• Jester
    replied
    wow! I'm impressed you didn't just put paper down for pip. How'd the little one handle the epic cold?

Leave a comment:

• Plezercruz
    replied
    Something less fun to do...

...walk your dog while playing Empires and Puzzles on your phone. The battery froze up and wouldn't work any more, so the phone shut down. Took a full ten minutes back in the house before it would power up again!

Pete (has never had that happen to him before)

Leave a comment:

• Jester
    replied
    Fun thing to do with kids: take pot of boiling water outside and fling into the air ó itíll freeze before it hits the ground.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X