Jury Awards Rand Paul Over $580,000 in Damages From Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury Awards Rand Paul Over $580,000 in Damages From Attack

A jury in Kentucky awarded Senator Rand Paul more than $580,000 in damages on Wednesday in a lawsuit that he filed against a neighbor who assaulted him as he did yardwork.

The neighbor, Rene A. Boucher, pleaded guilty last spring to felony assault after tackling Mr. Paul in November 2017. Mr. Boucher, who was sentenced in June to 30 days in prison, will appeal the verdict, said his lawyer, Matthew J. Baker.

“We can hold different views, whether it’s politics, religion or day to day matters,” Mr. Paul, Republican of Kentucky, wrote Wednesday on Twitter after the damages were announced. “It’s never ok to turn those disagreements into violent, aggressive anger. I hope that’s the message from today.”

Mr. Boucher, 60, who had lived next door to Mr. Paul for 17 years at the time of the assault, claimed in court documents that he had festering irritation over the senator’s habit of stacking debris near the line that divides their properties. One day, when he saw Mr. Paul using a lawn mower to blow leaves onto his yard, Mr. Boucher approached him and tackled him.
    So much for all that tort reform!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/u...y-damages.html
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

That seems a bit excessive. And whatever happened to yelling at your neighbor when they pile up crap on the property line?

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X

Debug Information