Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 Children Died in the Parkland Shooting. Nearly 1,200 Have Died From Guns Since.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 Children Died in the Parkland Shooting. Nearly 1,200 Have Died From Guns Since.

Fourteen students died on Feb. 14, 2018, in Parkland, Fla., inspiring marches, new laws and widespread calls to stop the onslaught of gun deaths. But in the year since one of the worst school shootings in the United States, nearly 1,200 more children have lost their lives to guns in this country.

The number alone might stop most people in their tracks. But editors at The Trace, a nonprofit news organization that reports on gun violence, wanted to remember the dead not as statistics, but as human beings with rich histories. This week they launched “Since Parkland,”a website compiling profiles of every one of the victims. To tell their stories, The Trace turned to those who could relate most closely to the victims: other young people.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/13/u...gtype=Homepage
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

It's OK though because they weren't your kids.

Happy Anniversary.

Comment

Yeah, stop pretending you give one fuck about any of those kids. Not once have I ever seen you shed a single fake tear for the real face of gun violence. You only care about the prescribed narrative....white males using AR15s in mass shootings. The statistics you love to cite, don't bear that out, but you already knew that. In fact, you know the "face of gun violence" you constantly focus on isn't even statistically relevant in the big picture. The real victims are black inner city males aged 15-30. Can you please bring up all your posts where you showed concern for this group since it's BY FAR the group most impacted? I'll be holding my breath, just ask for "Blue".

Like I said, you're the biggest closet racist I have ever seen.

Steve (laughs at our resident Huffbot)
      Last edited by Mr. Raceboy; 02-14-2019, 10:51 PM.
      "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

What would you like the goon squad to do about it, Jonathan?

Pete (is all ears)

Comment

Stronger guns laws, assault weapon bans, universal background checks, and close gun show loopholes.

It's not rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
            Stronger guns laws, assault weapon bans, universal background checks, and close gun show loopholes.

It's not rocket science.
            Specifically, though.

Of those 1200 deaths, probably under 30 would be affected by an assault weapons ban. Virtually none of those guns would have been bought at gun shows. So listing those two isn't really addressing the issue of "1200 dead kids." It's addressing some other issue that you've linked to 1200 dead kids.

Pete (isn't sure what kind of result the universal background checks would yield, but suspects that it would result in poor people and nonwhite people being shut out from buying guns)

Comment

I don't think shrugging your shoulders and sending thoughts and prayers, is much of an answer.
              Just saying.
              Last edited by Beemer; 02-15-2019, 05:18 PM.
              01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

Originally posted by Beemer View Post
                I don't think shrugging your should and sending thoughts and prayers, is much of an answer.
                Just saying.
                It's arguably better than saying "someone should do something" and leaving it at that.

Pete (is looking for something more concrete and feasible than platitudes)

Comment

Call a national emergency

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff92se View Post
                    Call a national emergency
                    Those particular floodgates are now wide open...

Pete (sighs)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post

Specifically, though.

Of those 1200 deaths, probably under 30 would be affected by an assault weapons ban. Virtually none of those guns would have been bought at gun shows. So listing those two isn't really addressing the issue of "1200 dead kids." It's addressing some other issue that you've linked to 1200 dead kids.

Pete (isn't sure what kind of result the universal background checks would yield, but suspects that it would result in poor people and nonwhite people being shut out from buying guns)
                      It's not about the kids. It's about punishing people with different views.
                      I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post

It's not rocket science.
                        Each and ever one of these have been enacted in California, and according to studies done by the FBI, various anti-gun groups, and even by one initiated by President Obama, these kind of laws "have a negligible effect on rates of gun violence, violent crime, and homicides."

if you really want to fix "gun crimes," you have to ban the possession of a) guns purchased by a gang member's girlfriend/wife/baby mama, b) ban the sale of inexpensive, low-caliber, low capacity handguns, and after you do that, you have to ban the possession of guns by socially isolated, bitter, and, more often that not, young men with untreated mental illness.

After you've done those, then you can start making crime illegal, and gangs, drugs, and alcohol.
                        "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X