Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boeing Flights Grounded Across the Globe, but Not in the U.S.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing Flights Grounded Across the Globe, but Not in the U.S.

With more countries grounding Boeing jets and with lawmakers, aviation workers and consumers calling on the United States to do the same, the head of the aerospace giant on Tuesday made a personal appeal to President Trump.

Boeing’s chief executive, Dennis A. Muilenburg, called from Chicago and expressed to Mr. Trump his confidence in the safety of the 737 Max 8 jets, according to two people briefed on the conversation. Two of the planes flown by overseas carriers have crashed in recent months in similar accidents.

The brief call had been in the works since Monday, but it came shortly after Mr. Trump raised concerns that the increasing use of technology in airplanes was compromising passenger safety. “Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly,” he wrote on Twitter. “Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT.”

Soon after the conversation ended, Mr. Muilenburg received more bad news. The European Union suspended “all flight operations” of the Boeing 737 Max 8 model, a striking move by one of the industry’s important regulators. At the end of the day, the Federal Aviation Administration said that it was continuing with its review and that the planes could keep flying.

Yet the decision in Europe means roughly two-thirds of the Boeing Max 8 aircraft in the world have been pulled from use in the two days since the crash of an Ethiopian Airlines flight that killed 157 people. The swift actions by authorities around the world were driven in part by concerns about a connection to a similar disaster involving a Max 8 in Indonesia last October, when a Lion Air flight plunged into the Java Sea shortly after takeoff, killing all 189 people aboard.

By Tuesday afternoon, the United States was nearly alone among major countries still allowing the jets to fly.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/b...gtype=Homepage
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Jon would know something about this.

Pete (just doesn't)

Comment

it's a combination of a forcefull anti-stall feature that pushes the control yolk forwards when the aircraft perceives a stall, an over-ride switch, bad maintenance, and poor training in third world countries. The system is probably too intrusive, but it's not difficult to override, but in the heat of the moment I'm not surprised that badly trained and over worked pilots don't remember to flip the switch when their aircraft suddenly tries to dive to the ground all on it's own.
      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

I heard where grounding them here too.
        01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

I'm told that Trump himself ordered the planes grounded.

Pete (wonders if he has that authority)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
            I'm told that Trump himself ordered the planes grounded.

Pete (wonders if he has that authority)
            He did it so I guess he has it.
            "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post

He did it so I guess he has it.
              I'm officially ordering that all women's pants from now on have pockets large enough to fit the hand of a normally proportioned woman wearing those pants.

I ordered it, so I have that authority, right?

They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
              -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post

I'm officially ordering that all women's pants from now on have pockets large enough to fit the hand of a normally proportioned woman wearing those pants.

If everyone complied, sure.

Steve (note the difference)
                "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Fair point, but is he "ordering it" because he has the juice, or because he knows which way the wind is blowing?

(I suspect he has the juice)
                  They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                  -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

The FAA has the authority. Trump has the press conference.
                    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
                    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

So why aren't we hearing from the FAA?

Why aren't we getting anything from the guy who signed this: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/med...ency_Order.pdf

Pete (sees only a short written statement from the FAA on their web site)

Comment

Because the FAA is a hollow shell of what it has been.

Like many US federal agencies under Trump, the FAA isn’t operating under optimal conditions to deal with a big issue like the two Boeing crashes. It hasn’t had a permanent top official for 14 months, the White House pushed gutting its employees and trimming budgets for two years in a row, and the recent government shutdown delayed officials’ approval of safety upgrades.
                        https://qz.com/1571147/boeing-737-ma...a-under-trump/

If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post

Not a chance! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                            Because the FAA is a hollow shell of what it has been.

https://qz.com/1571147/boeing-737-ma...a-under-trump/
                            Yeah, that's what I suspected. Although, it's not the power that's waned, it's the manpower. So Trump basically operates on his own without the administrative entities' assistance.

Pete (seriously wonders if he's our Caesar)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post

Yeah, that's what I suspected. Although, it's not the power that's waned, it's the manpower. So Trump basically operates on his own without the administrative entities' assistance.

Pete (seriously wonders if he's our Caesar)
                              Does that make Pence Brutus?
                              -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Working...
                              X