Wealthy Parents Charged in College Admissions Fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wealthy Parents Charged in College Admissions Fraud

A teenage girl who did not play soccer magically became a star soccer recruit at Yale. Cost to her parents: $1.2 million.

A high school boy eager to enroll at the University of Southern California was falsely deemed to have a learning disability so he could take his standardized test with a complicit proctor who would make sure he got the right score. Cost to his parents: at least $50,000.

A student with no experience rowing won a spot on the U.S.C. crew team after a photograph of another person in a boat was submitted as evidence of her prowess. Her parents wired $200,000 into a special account.

In a major college admissions scandal that laid bare the elaborate lengths some wealthy parents will go to get their children into competitive American universities, federal prosecutors charged 50 people on Tuesday in a brazen scheme to buy spots in the freshman classes at Yale, Stanford and other big-name schools.

Thirty-three well-heeled parents were charged in the case, including Hollywood celebrities and prominent business leaders, and prosecutors said there could be additional indictments to come.

Also implicated were top college athletic coaches, who were accused of accepting millions of dollars to help admit undeserving students to a wide variety of colleges, from the University of Texas at Austin to Wake Forest and Georgetown, by suggesting they were top athletes.

he parents included the television star Lori Loughlin and her husband, the fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli; the actress Felicity Huffman; and William E. McGlashan Jr., a partner at the private equity firm TPG, officials said.

[Read more here about the scheme worked, from bribes to doctored photos.]

The scheme unveiled Tuesday was stunning in its breadth and audacity. It was the Justice Department’s largest-ever college admissions prosecution, a sprawling investigation that involved 200 agents nationwide and resulted in charges against 50 people in six states.

The charges also underscored how college admissions have become so cutthroat and competitive that some have sought to break the rules. The authorities say the parents of some of the nation’s wealthiest and most privileged students sought to buy spots for their children at top universities, not only cheating the system, but potentially cheating other hard-working students out of a chance at a college education.

In many of the cases, prosecutors said, the students were not aware that their parents were doctoring their test scores and lying to get them into school. Federal prosecutors did not charge any students or universities with wrongdoing.

“The parents are the prime movers of this fraud,” Andrew E. Lelling, the United States attorney for the District of Massachusetts, said Tuesday during a news conference. Mr. Lelling said that those parents used their wealth to create a separate and unfair admissions process for their children.

“The real victims in this case are the hardworking students” who were displaced in the admissions process by “far less qualified students and their families who simply bought their way in,” Mr. Lelling said.

At the center of the sweeping financial crime and fraud case was William Singer, the founder of a college preparatory business called the Edge College & Career Network, also known as The Key.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/u...g-scandal.html
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

And I didn't get to go to Princeton because it was too expensive.

Pete (is still bitter)

Comment

The only doors that opened for me were the ones I kicked down.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
        yep. I had to walk into the office of the Dean of Admissions to get someone to tell me why they weren't letting me register for classes. Turns out someone had submitted one of my transcripts before the grades were submitted, so the grades for that semester all showed as "Incomplete." Had I simply waited for the system to figure it out, or even tell me why I was delayed, I'd still be waiting.
        "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

I went to public schools thorough my Ph.D., then worked at one of the fancy Ivy Leagues for a few years.
          My kids are only going to a fancy Ivy League for one of two reasons:
          1. my wife wins the argument.
          2. they're stupid and/or lazy. Why? because at a state school, you get an excellent education, but only if you reach out and grab it. At the Ivys, your TA will have to hunt you down and question you if you miss an assignment. It's f'ing babysitting.
          They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
          -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

My wife and are I good friends with our neighbors, who are professors of fine arts at the high school and college levels -- schools where you have to audition to get accepted. They say fraud in student art portfolios happens consistently over the years. Some of it is downright bad, like one kid submitting a painting where he clearly painted his name over the real artist's signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
              I went to public schools thorough my Ph.D., then worked at one of the fancy Ivy Leagues for a few years.
              My kids are only going to a fancy Ivy League for one of two reasons:
              1. my wife wins the argument.
              2. they're stupid and/or lazy. Why? because at a state school, you get an excellent education, but only if you reach out and grab it. At the Ivys, your TA will have to hunt you down and question you if you miss an assignment. It's f'ing babysitting.
              At a state school, you're surrounded by assholes who go to state schools.

At an Ivy League school, you're surrounded by the best and brightest (and admittedly, sometimes the richest) students in the country.

Pete (would rather NOT send his kids to mix with the assholes like he had to)
              Last edited by Plezercruz; 03-14-2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you haven’t met many of the “best and brightest”
                They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                  LOL, I weep for your white male struggle!
                  "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

But if you donate $1,000,000 to help the school build a new whatever and, oh by the way your kid gets into the school, that's fully legal and no problem? Why do we keep wasting money subsidizing this fucking nonsense.

Further, if you want any more proof that America is a police state look no further than the military style guns drawn 6 am raid by 7 FBI agents to bust these dangerous criminals! The real criminals are the government and its employees. Fuck these "heroes".

Felicity Huffman knew she was a target of the federal investigation into bribery in the college admissions process ... but she had no idea 7 feds would show up at her door Tuesday morning with guns drawn.

Sources familiar with the arrest tell TMZ, 7 FBI agents showed up at Felicity's Hollywood Hills home at 6 AM and drew their weapons as they ordered Felicity to come out and surrender.
                    https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/12/felic...llege-bribery/
                    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

My daughter has a 35 ACT score and a 4.0 GPA and couldn't get into Vanderbilt.

Stephen (was upset for her)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
                        But if you donate $1,000,000 to help the school build a new whatever and, oh by the way your kid gets into the school, that's fully legal and no problem? Why do we keep wasting money subsidizing this fucking nonsense.

Further, if you want any more proof that America is a police state look no further than the military style guns drawn 6 am raid by 7 FBI agents to bust these dangerous criminals! The real criminals are the government and its employees. Fuck these "heroes".

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/12/felic...llege-bribery/
                        Clearly it's not "fully legal" since the parents are being arrested...

Pete (doesn't really support the goon squad either, though)

Comment

Working...
                        X