Rashida Tliab's comments on genocide stir controversy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rashida Tliab's comments on genocide stir controversy

I tried to find an article or op/ed on this topic that treats it fairly. Surprisingly the best one I could find was from the Jerusalem Post:

https://www.jpost.com/American-Polit...locaust-589711

WHAT DID RASHIDA TLAIB REALLY SAY ABOUT THE HOLOCAUST?

Republican lawmakers like Rep. Lee Zeldin were criticized, deservedly, for distorting Rep. Rashida Tlaib’s comments about the Holocaust by suggesting she said that she gets a “calming feeling” when she thinks about the genocide.

Our headline on Monday read “Rashida Tlaib says her Palestinian ancestors made a ‘safe haven’ for Jews after Holocaust.” We quoted the remarks she gave to the podcast Skullduggery in which Tlaib asserted that she gets a “calming feeling” when she considers that the Palestinians “created a ‘safe haven’ for Jews during the Holocaust.”

But it assumes that Tlaib was crediting Palestinians with welcoming refugees and “creating” a safe haven for Jews, when the transcript of her remarks suggest she was saying something else.

Tlaib does not assert that Palestinians welcomed Jews or worked in any way to create the “safe haven.” Instead, she says, using the passive voice, that Palestinians were displaced “in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews.” In fact, “it was forcedon them” — that is, the Palestinians. And despite the cost to her people in property and dignity, she goes on, she “love[s] the fact that” something good came of it — a safe haven for Jews who were suffering “horrific persecution” around the world.

There is a lot to disagree with in Tlaib’s remarks. The Holocaust is hardly the sole justification of the existence of Israel. She denies the Jews the right to autonomy in a state of their own. She rejects the idea of two states for two peoples and instead holds out for the impossible idea that Israel will surrender its sovereignty in hopes of creating some sort of United States of Isratine. It’s that kind of wishful, almost messianic thinking that has prevented Palestinian leaders from accepting anything less.

But it’s a tremendous and dangerous distraction to attribute to her words and ideas she didn’t say.
    What she actually said:

Interviewer: Congresswoman, you’ve created something of a stir by coming out in favor of a one-state solution, Israel and Palestine, and I think you may be the only Democrat who’s publicly supported a one-state solution. So what is your vision for a one-state solution that meets both Palestinian and Israeli-Jewish national aspirations?

Tlaib: Absolutely. Let me tell you — I mean, for me, I think two weeks ago we celebrated, or took a moment I think in our country to remember, the Holocaust. And there’s a kind of a calming feeling, I always tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust and the tragedy of the Holocaust in the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinians — who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways had been wiped out, and some people’s passports — I mean, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time. And I love the fact that it was my ancestors that provided that, right?, in many ways. But they did it in a way that took their human dignity away, right, and it was forced on them.
    Pete (still thinks Tliab was unwise in her response to the question)

Wow, her response was worse than I'd assumed, but still not nearly as bad as it was painted to be.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

That's the rub. Depending on who you read or what you hear first, you'll be surprised one way or another when you read the actual response. That's how badly the party spin-jobs have been on this issue.

Pete (thinks the op-ed at Jerusalem Post did a pretty fair job on the topic, though)

Comment

Her response reads as sarcasm to me. The question is: Is she wrong?

Steve (can see her point of view)

"Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

A politician took another politician's words out of context?

I'm shook.
          "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
            A politician took another politician's words out of context?

I'm shook.
            Well this is relevant for a number of reasons.

First, yeah, this kind of behavior is common in politics, but not usually to this extreme, and not usually on both sides. Here, by and large, nobody knows what Tliab actually said, they only know the various narratives. And what she actually said was bad, just a different sort of bad from what people are saying.

Second, the Democrats are starting have a muslim problem. They've been forced now three times in a pre-election year to back idiotic statements from muslim representatives, which is a boon to their opponents. This is a catch-22 for them. They can't stop their islamic congresspeople from saying stupid things, or they will appear to be oppressing them. At the same time, defending these people is detrimental to the party. I'm not sure how this shakes out, but if they can't convince Omar and Tliab to tone down the anti-Israeli rhetoric, they're going to have a lot of tap dancing to do with 2020 voters.

Third, and perhaps most importantly, these incidents (along with idiotic remarks from Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) highlight the problem that Democrats have with "inclusion" and "minorities." These three women say things no white man could say (and possibly no man or white woman) with impunity, and the Democrats MUST come to their aid when they do, regardless of how preposterous or controversial they are. Failure to do so would incense the leftist base. This will be interesting in the next 18 months, as we see some fairly prominent Democratic white people (Biden, Warren, Schumer, Pelosi) try to manage the fallout from their wingnut colleagues while trying to remain respectable to the voters.

Pete (supposes Republicans have an identical problem with Trump, so this might be a battle of who will alienate votes the most rather than the usual attempt to woo them)

Comment

Working...
            X