No announcement yet.

New Ebola outbreak in DRC is 'truly frightening', says Wellcome Trust director

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ebola outbreak in DRC is 'truly frightening', says Wellcome Trust director

The head of a major medical research charity has called the latest outbreak of Ebola in central Africa "truly frightening".

Nearly 1,400 people have died in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Dr Jeremy Farrar, the director of the Wellcome Trust, said the epidemic was the worst since that of 2013-16 and has showed "no sign of stopping".

A five-year-old boy has also died in neighbouring Uganda, the first case of Ebola reported in the country.

The Ugandan government is now reporting seven other suspected cases of the virus.

In a statement, Dr Farrar said the spread was "tragic but unfortunately not surprising". He warned that more cases were expected, and a "full" national and international response would be needed to protect lives.

"The DRC should not have to face this alone," he said.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-48615667
    01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Based on a few private conversations I've had with people in the know, the new vaccines, antibodies and drugs, although effective, are all crappy in one way (only work on a subset of ebola-like viruses) or another (intolerable side effects), but they're making a real difference. The lunatics shooting the doctors, however, suck.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Considering we can't convince idiots in this country to vaccinate against anything, we can hardly be dismissive of DRC's inability to get rid of Ebola. And we had high profile incidents of our own doctors violating quarantine when they got home. People are just morons everywhere.

Pete (thinks it's a wonder one of these things hasn't offed us)

Comment

Give it time! Humanity is due for a thinning.
        At the precipice, we change!
        The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

I'm not really read in on it, but every time we ask someone who is read in about the ebola vaccine, they just shake their heads and say we need something for ebola...
          They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
          -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

I remember once I saw this really vivid frightening horror movie about Ebola, but it was actually not a movie but a book, and it wasn’t a work of horror but was entirely nonfiction.
            For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
            If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We've always assumed that you can't bring back the dead. But it's a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Ah, you mean “Hot Zone” that’s the reason people freak out about Ebola, but never talk about Lassa.

Lassa is worse and much more common.
              -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

yup that was it.
                If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We've always assumed that you can't bring back the dead. But it's a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
                  I'm not really read in on it, but every time we ask someone who is read in about the ebola vaccine, they just shake their heads and say we need something for ebola...
                  What does "read in" mean?
                  "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
                    Ah, you mean “Hot Zone” that’s the reason people freak out about Ebola, but never talk about Lassa.

Lassa is worse and much more common.
                    I know nothing about Lassa, but I wikipediaed it and can't figure why you think it's worse. Many people don't develop symptoms at all, and those who do have a 99% survival rate. Ebola kills 25%-90% of those infected, averaging about 50%, and virtually all infected people will develop symptoms.

Pete (given a choice, would choose Lassa)

Comment

So, guessing here, but I’m thinking Lassa can more likely grow to major pandemic because: 1) longer incubation time; and 2) transmittable via inhalation. All it need to do is change slightly to me more deadly, like flu does from time to time.

dusty (notes Lassa fatality rates rise to 50% in an epidemic)

Comment

Originally posted by Jared View Post

What does "read in" mean?
                        These are military researchers who have NDAs with the various stakeholders on these experimental treatments; they often are directly involved in the research (aka, spend time in BSL-4 labs and hot zones during outbreaks) -- they know what is never made public; I'm not officially privvy, but some of them have loose lips and I do talk to them... And this is what I feel I can share without risking getting anyone in trouble.

Ebola rates would look like Lassa rates if the outbreaks were in nicer places.
                        -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                          I know nothing about Lassa, but I wikipediaed it and can't figure why you think it's worse. Many people don't develop symptoms at all, and those who do have a 99% survival rate. Ebola kills 25%-90% of those infected, averaging about 50%, and virtually all infected people will develop symptoms.

Pete (given a choice, would choose Lassa)
                          I'm curious as well.
                          "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X