No announcement yet.

Trump administration proposal could kick 3 million off food stamps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All government is is a capitalist monopoly at end stage.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
      :Stick to science.

Steve (thinks Jester is a great example of why humans are always doomed to cycle between freedom and tyranny)
      "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
        ... people tend to be driven by a fundamental desire to have more and be better off. Maybe not excessively so in all cases, but enough that it undermines any attempt to suppress it.

Pete (thinks any system that requires people not to be greedy is an exercise in fantasyland)
        Having more stuff is a fundamental survival instinct; genetically it equates to more food, more shelter, more security, and more mates, all of which equates to 'more survival of my genes.'

In modern economic terms, money is how we obtain more food, more shelter, more security, and more mates. Because humans are complex social animals, so are the methods we use to increase the odds of our genes being successfully carried on to subsequent generations. Genetically, the more offspring, the better. However, in a complicated society, it takes decades of training for an offspring to learn enough to be financially successful and thus obtain more food, shelter, security, and mates. So, instead of simply procreating our way to genetic success, we trade off fewer offspring in order to give them skills and economic stature, and thus give them the best opportunity to pass on their genes.

And then, it gets even more complicated; right now we are in a Golden Age, where premature death is extremely low. But our genes want us to be prepared for Bad Times, when, for instance, infant mortality is high. Unfortunately for our genes, they can't buy insurance, or hoard money or T-bills. But what our genes do is give us the drive to succeed beyond our neighbors; if I am a better hunter/gatherer than my neighbor is during good times, that's nice, but if I'm a better hunter/gatherer during bad times, I am more likely than my neighbor to survive. If necessary, if I can grab his stuff, and he'll starve to death instead of me, and I can still raise my kids to adulthood, and he can't.

Greed is simply the term we apply to people who are slightly more driven (or successful) by the biological need to obtain that which enables us to give our offspring every opportunity to survive and procreate as possible.
        "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

That sounds suspiciously like science -- which clearly isn't relevant...
          They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
          -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Explain.

Pete (has no idea what this means)

Comment

Greed

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/greed

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/greed
              01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post

Explain.

Pete (has no idea what this means)
                In capitalism, money is power, and power can be used to generate more money. But when you look closely at that, there quickly begin to form blurred lines. A good example would be the pullman company towns (made particularly famous by the pullman strike, where government intervention prevented the more aggressive strike breakers from completely shutting it down) -- as an individual (aka, company leader) gains power, they begin to monopolize supplies, products, workers and workers homes. Eventually, they can become the sole authority... aka indistinguishable from a government. Given that a truly unfettered capitalist society has no built-in protections to prevent this eventuality, it becomes inevitable, simply by virtue of being a largely irreversible process.
                -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Beemer View Post
                  Why is the homeless population so bad in Cali?
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiXjiJ5GSoM
                  One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.

Comment

Why is the homeless population so bad in Cali?
                    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Funny.
                      So like Chicago gang land muders, any solution to this problem?
                      Or just more making light of a situation, you don't have to deal with?
                      01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

Funny.
                        So like Chicago gang land muders, any solution to this problem?
                        Or just more making light of a situation, you don't have to deal with?
                        I don't think in terms of solutions. I think in terms of causes and how to elimina

1: Subsidy: If you subsidize something, you get more of it. So stop subsidizing the homeless.

2: The war on drugs: drug and alcohol addiction is rampant among the homeless. The war on drugs turns non-violent drug use into a crime and then makes people unemployable with a criminal record, talk about a death spiral

3: Minimum wage: Again, if the government is going to force me to pay X amount of dollars at a minimum to an employee and that employee doesn't offer that much value in return, that person is simply not employable. Therefor they never learn basic job skills and never move up in the job world and will be dependent upon government.

4: Welfare: do you even wonder why families on welfare seem to be on it generation after generation? Children are pretty much hard wired by a relatively young age. If they never see a parent working, that is not the norm for them. On top of that, we make accepting welfare easy. We give people credit cards. If it has to exist at all with government, it should be embarrassing to use. There needs to be social pressure to get off welfare until we eliminate welfare completely where charity does a much better job of means testing and having complimentary programs to get people off welfare.

5. End the fucking wars! So many homeless are veterans we sent off to fight meaningless wars who come back broken people. Think about it. WWII lasted all of 4 years for the U.S. yet we have guys serving multiple tours in Afghanistan and we have been there for close to 20 years! That's fucking crazy! We are creating people who cannot function in the regular world, and for what? Bullshit, that's what.

6: Stop asking government to solve every problem. Again the government doesn't solve homelessness, it fucking creates it. I know people have great intentions and it's a nice child's fantasy, like Christmas, to think government can solve social problems, but if people keep concentrating on the feels and not the results they don't deserve a pass because of their intentions. Think about it, government has no incentive to even solve problems because they worse the problems get, the more the average dolt wants to give power to government to solve the problem!

There are no saviors. Once people realize that, they can take real meaningful action to help their fellow man and no guns are necessary to do it. We are Americans and we are the most charitable people on the planet. We don't need guns to our head to be charitable, this is just a fact proven by our record voluntary donations to every disaster around the world. Thinking some politician who owes those who got them elected is better equipped to decide how to divvy up charity is literally one of the dumbest beliefs a person can have.

There's a lot more of course. The above is just me typing almost stream of consciousness style. If you notice one common theme above to distill it all down it's the same theme that creates almost all our problems or at least makes them all worse and that is government is too big and too powerful and just needs to get out of the way. Government isn't a cure, it's a fucking parasite.

Beemer, don't think I don't care just because I joke. That's my coping mechanism. I live a good life and if I really didn't care I would actually be able to live a happier life in ignorant bliss. I also can't fool myself just to feel good. I don't believe in magical sky fairies and I don't believe in magical infallible omnipotent rulers who aren't corrupted by power. If I didn't care, you wouldn't even know who I was because I wouldn't waste all this time posting even though I know it does little to no good because it's much easier to trick people than to convince people they have been tricked. I should just give up and trying to explain it to people and just tell them I can talk to plants and the plants have told me they don't crave Brawndo.
                        Last edited by Mr. Raceboy; 07-30-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Why does subsidizing only work to make more bad things?
                          -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Who said that?

Comment

Because prolonged subsidization of a good thing leads to dramatic overproduction of that good thing, inherently turning that thing bad.

Pete (doesn't think there's anything so virtuous that greatly overproducing it is beneficial)
                              Last edited by Plezercruz; 07-30-2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

American Agriculture

Comment

Working...
                                X