Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The man seen placing rice cookers around downtown New York is in custody, police say

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The man seen placing rice cookers around downtown New York is in custody, police say

The man who police say is seen on video dropping off rice cookers Friday in downtown New York was taken into custody early Saturday morning, a law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation said.

Three rice cookers, initially described as suspicious devices, were discovered Friday morning in Manhattan, prompting a brief scare and causing delays during the busy morning subway commute. All the devices were ultimately deemed safe.

The man was found unconscious around 2 a.m. ET at an address in the Bronx and is hospitalized, the source said. He was taken into custody on a previous bench warrant unrelated to Friday's incident and has not been charged in connection with the rice cookers, the source said.
    The "individual has been located and the investigation continues," NYPD Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea tweeted Saturday morning.

The first two suspicious appliances were found empty at the Fulton Street subway complex, NYPD Chief of Transit Edward Delatorre said Friday. A third empty rice cooker was found at West 16th Street and 7th Avenue, where it had been put out with the garbage.
    Police video taken at the subway complex showed a white man in his 20s or 30s with dark hair and a shopping cart leaving two rice cookers at that scene, NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counterterrorism John Miller said Friday.
    "Obviously, we would like to speak to this person," Miller said, adding that he would not call the individual "a suspect.""I don't know what the deliberate act is," he said, "whether it was to create fear and alarm on the part of the public, or whether he was discarding items he was no longer interested in."
    Pressure cookers have previously been used in terrorist attacks, including in the 2016 bombing in New York's Chelsea neighborhood and the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/17/us/ne...ers/index.html
    01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

The man was found unconscious around 2 a.m. ET at an address in the Bronx and is hospitalized
    What!? Don't the authors think that this might need a little elaboration?

From the New York Times:
    Mr. Griffin, who moved to New York from West Virginia in May, has a history of mental illness and had been living on the streets, Jason Griffin said.

“He thinks being homeless is fun,” Mr. Griffin said on Friday. “He was collecting stuff and he said that he found three rice cookers in front of a sushi restaurant.”

Tara Brumfield, Mr. Griffin’s cousin, told television station WSAZ News Channel 3 that Mr. Griffin had a history of picking up items.

“Whether it’s tools or a fishing pole or something like that he’ll pick up one thing and leave it there and then pick up another and then leave it there, and I’ve watched him do stuff like that a bunch of times,” she said.
    Ok, the guy is crackers, no surprise there.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Do these people not understand the difference between rice cookers and pressure cookers?
      DEEZ NUTS FOR PRESIDENT!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
        Do these people not understand the difference between rice cookers and pressure cookers?
        Fair point, although I've seen pressure cookers sold as rice cookers, so the line is getting blurry.

It's a shame that harmeless lunatics are now being swept up in the "we wanna be safe" security craze.
        They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
        -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post

Fair point, although I've seen pressure cookers sold as rice cookers, so the line is getting blurry.

It's a shame that harmeless lunatics are now being swept up in the "we wanna be safe" security craze.
          Wait, you aren't swept up in the "I wanna be safe" nonsense?

Steve (is confused)
          "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post

Steve (is confused)
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2qcbu26gs

what's the new convention for attaching videos?
            "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

"A" for advanced options, then click the lil "film icon" and enter link.
              Last edited by Beemer; 08-21-2019, 01:50 PM.
              01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post

Steve (is confused)
                so, you honestly think my objection to high capacity rounds is driven by a desire to be safe, and that I only operate in a 1-dimensional manner? Interesting. How we judge others is often a reflection of how we think.
                They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

so, you honestly think my objection to high capacity rounds is driven by a desire to be safe, and that I only operate in a 1-dimensional manner? Interesting. How we judge others is often a reflection of how we think.
                  I think your objection is driven by irrational hysteria considering the likelihood of being killed in a mass shooting vs the likelihood of getting killed in other activities you voluntarily participate in all the time that are far more dangerous or just having the object in your home is far more dangerous (pools). I think it's irrational hysteria to worry about dying from the deranged mass shooter who may get lucky and kill 50 people when the real mass killers are government that have slaughtered hundreds of millions if not billions of people and only someone totally irrational wold want to give the biggest mass killers knows to man even more power and less of a chance of facing resistance.

The heart leads to beliefs like yours. Start using your brain instead.
                  "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Let us know when 58 people drown in the same pool at the same time.
                    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

So, since I’m more likely to die in a car accident, I shouldn’t bother checking for ticks after a hike, is that the argument?
                      -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                        Let us know when 58 people drown in the same pool at the same time.
                        Let us know what you're not full of shit.

Comment

So, since I’m more likely to die in a car accident, I shouldn’t bother checking for ticks after a hike, is that the argument?
                          No, the argument is your house is on fire and your only worried if you put out the campfire in the backyard. Prioritizing mass shooting makes no logical sense. Statistically, if even by the most hysterical leftist loon skooly definitions of mass shootings, even if we could end every single one, overall gun homicides statistics in the U.S. wouldn't even noticeably budge. So why the totally disingenuous focus on mass shootings? The answer is you're being played for a useful fool.

Those who want to confiscate all guns are using you and your heart before head beliefs. They want to paint the face of gun violence as the white male mass shooter with an AR15. In reality, that couldn't be farther from the reality. The real face of gun homicides are black males between the age of 16-34 who account for roughly 4% of the population, but account for 50% of all homicides. The leftist drones will just cry "racist" but it's reality. I don't think it has anything to do with genetics. I do think it has everything to do with the war on drugs and how politicians have also used welfare to make blacks completely dependent upon the new plantation masters. Slavery never ended, it only changed forms. The white male mass shooter is insignificant in the big picture, but if that's what it takes to ban/confiscate scary black rifles, that's a lie the gun grabbers think justifies being told and you have fallen for.

I'll still talk to you about it because I understand believing something with your heart. I won't talk to skooly about it anymore because I know 100% he knows he's just pushing propaganda because in his mind the ends justifies the means and there's a big difference. He has no interest in even remotely being honest about the situation.

You want to truly move the needle on gun homicides in the U.S.? Simple. END THE WAR ON DRUGS. I also have a suspicion, but admittedly no real causal proof, that the fact we medicate kids with mind altering drugs from a very young age plays a huge part in the problem of mass shootings. Almost every mass shooter has been found to have been on some type of behavioral drug. Not causal, I know, but I can't imagine long-term effects of pumping a kid full of adderall from the time they are 3 years old (yes, that's the minimum age) then graduating them to even more drugs and anti-depressants are really understood.

You also never addressed the fact that if you are truly worried about mass murder, the most likely mass murderer to kill you is the government. The same government you want to believe will protect you and make you safe. How can you possibly think that's a good idea in a real historical context?

Again, I understand beliefs of the heart, but if that's all you have you are on the road to hell.

Comment

Or get screened for cancer, check blood pressure for kidneys and heart health. Etc...

Comment

His argument is a giant red herring.
                              "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Working...
                              X