Walmart to Limit Ammunition Sales After Mass Shooting at El Paso Store

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart to Limit Ammunition Sales After Mass Shooting at El Paso Store

In response to the shooting in its El Paso store last month that killed 22 people, Walmart said Tuesday that it would stop selling certain types of ammunition that are commonly used by hunters but can also be used in military assault rifles.

The nation’s largest retailer made the announcement after weeks of discussion about how best to respond to the violence on Aug. 3. The company said that after “selling through our current inventory commitments” it would discontinue the sale of certain short-barrel rifle ammunition and all handgun ammunition.

Walmart had stopped selling the type of assault-style rifle that was used in the El Paso shooting several years ago, but the company’s chief executive, Doug McMillon, said the retailer recognized the need to do more “to make the country safer.”

“It’s clear to us that the status quo is unacceptable,’’ Mr. McMillon said in a statement.

The move is expected to reduce Walmart’s share of the nation’s ammunition market to as low as 6 percent, from 20 percent. Walmart said last month that it accounted for about 2 percent of the nation’s firearm sales.

Walmart said it was also ending the sale of handguns in Alaska, the only state where the company still sells them. Walmart stopped selling handguns in every other state years ago, but continued to sell handgun ammunition across the country.

Walmart also said it was “respectfully requesting” that customers refrain from carrying guns openly into its stores in states where the “open carry” of firearms is allowed. Mr. McMillon said “there have been multiple incidents since El Paso where individuals attempting to make a statement and test our response have entered our stores carrying weapons in a way that frightened or concerned our associates and customers.”

“These incidents are concerning and we would like to avoid them,’’ he added.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/b...gtype=Homepage
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Walmart has stricter gun laws then texas.
    01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

Originally posted by Beemer View Post
      Walmart has stricter gun laws then texas.
      So does Somalia...
      They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
      -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post

So does Somalia...
        Texas is racing to catch up.

Gun laws were loosened in Texas the day after the state’s second mass shooting in a month

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott defended new gun laws that ease restrictions on gun owners in that state Sunday, hours after the laws went into effect and hours after a gunman shot at least 21 people, killing seven, in and around Odessa, Texas.

The new laws loosen restrictions on gun ownership and use in schools, foster homes, apartment buildings, and houses of worship. Proponents of the laws argue that they will offer people the opportunity to defend themselves from threats, while critics say expanding gun access makes people less safe.

Speaking at a press conference to discuss law enforcement’s response to Saturday’s mass shooting, during which a man with a rifle opened fire during a traffic stop before firing at random, Abbott argued that easing gun restrictions and preventing mass shootings aren’t mutually exclusive after being asked about the new laws.
        https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...so-greg-abbott

Comment

He wants to pray the mass shootings away

Comment

“The same people who pushed the appalling lie that brightly colored plastic crap from China is going to make us happy. That company is now lecturing normal Americans ... for daring to protect themselves with firearms.”

— Tucker Carlson
            Go Tucker! Start pushing CostCo!

skooly (snorts)

Comment

Businesses can sell whatever they want to whoever they want. They can also refuse to sell whatever they want to whoever they want. I have no problem with it.

That being said, Walmart sucks for buying ammo. You can never get anyone to open the case and it's way overpriced. It exists for those who don't have a large cushion and need last second ammo to go shooting and will pay anything to get it.
              "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

If Walmart was making any significant money on ammunition, they probably wouldn't do this.

Pete (thinks they're probably getting out of a product that isn't making them money anyway)

Comment

Private sector is now leading the way on gun control. How crazy is that? You libertarians must feel so conflicted about that.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                    Private sector is now leading the way on gun control. How crazy is that? You libertarians must feel so conflicted about that.
                    This is the way it's supposed to be.

Pete (thinks retailers should be afraid of firearm liabilities)

Comment

Working...
                    X