Family of AR-15 Inventor Eugene Stoner: He Didn't Intend It for Civilians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family of AR-15 Inventor Eugene Stoner: He Didn't Intend It for Civilians

"Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47,” the Stoner family told NBC News late Wednesday. "He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events."

The ex-Marine and "avid sportsman, hunter and skeet shooter" never used his invention for sport. He also never kept it around the house for personal defense. In fact, he never even owned one.

"What has happened, good or bad, since his patents have expired is a result of our free market system," Stoner’s family said. “Currently, a more interesting question is ‘Who now is benefiting from the manufacturing and sales of AR-15s, and for what uses?'"
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...HU1co_S2w1Usyc
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Well, perhaps he didn't, but the rest of their statement is all kinds of factually incorrect.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

So the family of a man who made millions from his designs feels guilty about benefiting financially. They could always give the money back? Or build a house with endless rooms?

Why is the fact that Stoner himself never owned one even relevant? F1 engineers don't drive the cars they design. So what?

This article is just desperate agenda pandering.
      "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad but think of the stupidity of this piece. The family is worried about the roughly hundred people or so that might be killed every year using this rifle in civilian hands and for sure, that's sad, but not a fucking peep about the millions, if not tens of millions, of people governments have murdered with these rifle in the hands of soldiers. Anyone who thinks only government soldiers should have these weapons is just completely brainwashed and irrational.

The family is saying Stoner had no problem making millions of a weapon he has designed that's killed countless millions of people, but he would be appalled by a few civilians using the guns to kill a few hundred? Stoner is somehow a fucking moral authority because that's where he drew the line. How fucking stupid are people? Answer: pretty fucking stupid.

Steve (is opening his NY City Bridge Sales Co in the very near future and cashing out)
        Last edited by Mr. Raceboy; 09-05-2019, 08:59 PM.
        "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

How about instead of pointing fingers at anyone created enemy, we just point it at ourselves. That's kinda the real problem. All the other things, government, companies, religion are just a tools of power.

I say get rid of all establishment. I'm kinda a Bansky fan.
          01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

It would be like the inventor of the hand grenade stating they didn't intent it for civilian use then criticizing the inventor for all the soldiers it killed in battle (ie... it's intended use)

Comment

Originally posted by Beemer View Post
              How about instead of pointing fingers at anyone created enemy, we just point it at ourselves. That's kinda the real problem. All the other things, government, companies, religion are just a tools of power.

I say get rid of all establishment. I'm kinda a Bansky fan.
              Isn't that kinda what I have been trying to tell you for years?

Comment

Your hatchet job on Stoner and his family is heresy for a guy who practically genuflects in front of the AR-15.

It also does nothing to rebut the fact that it was never designed for civilian hands.

Comment

The point that it was designed for the military isn’t relevant. 2A expressly references weapons used by the militia. We’re done at that point.

But, looking further because we can, there are small arms including hand guns, shotguns and, rifles expressly developed for the military as well. They’re used at home too. So, when Colt or Beretta or SIG was the designated contractor for a hand gun and, those weapons were sold to the military and to consumers, there was no problem with that. Why would we have any different standard for an AR?

Dan (thinks the story is nonsense)
                  HFM

As long as there exists people with religion and a belief in God, there will never be a Libertarian state.

Comment

Duct tape was designed for military use. Perhaps it also doesn't belong in civilian hands?
                    One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.

Comment

Originally posted by tquill View Post
                      Duct tape was designed for military use. Perhaps it also doesn't belong in civilian hands?
                      You might have a really good point if duct tape was being used to murder people en masse.

Comment

Originally posted by hfm View Post
                        The point that it was designed for the military isn’t relevant. 2A expressly references weapons used by the militia. We’re done at that point.
                        Of course it's relevant because the case law says weapons of war aren't protected. What better evidence is there of its intended purpose than the inventor's own words and intentions?

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post

Of course it's relevant because the case law says weapons of war aren't protected. What better evidence is there of its intended purpose than the inventor's own words and intentions?
                          The case law is wrong. Weapons of war are very specifically what the Founders were talking about and if you have even a shred of intellectual honesty left in you, you know that's true. But I know that's a virtually impossible "if".

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post

You might have a really good point if duct tape was being used to murder people en masse.
                            The greatest murderer of people in mass is government, yet you suck on its teat like a good little sub. You're basically The Gimp. As far as Gimps go, you are dedicated to your Dom, I'll give you that.

Comment

Complete hearsay.

Pete (is pretty sure people will put all sorts of words in his mouth when he's dead too)

Comment

Working...
                              X