Great Moments in Gun History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jester View Post
    actually, that makes me wonder -- what's the flashpoint for primers/gunpowder?

I'd hate to discover a box of rounds in the back of a black truck getting too hot and going off on a hot southern day...
    I want to say the show Mythbusters covered this? The rounds in the car won't go boom.

dusty (could well be imagining things)
    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

actually, that makes me wonder -- what's the flashpoint for primers/gunpowder?

I'd hate to discover a box of rounds in the back of a black truck getting too hot and going off on a hot southern day...
      The spontaneous flash point is somewhere around 550-650 F (it varies depending on the cartridge and primer). Basically if you have an oven that can get exceptionally hot, there's a chance you could cook them off. Or you almost certainly get them to cook off if you dumped the rounds into a charcoal or wood BBQ. However, without the barrel of a gun to confine the energy, there's a very low risk of injury. As this lady found out, you might get a cut.
      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Man Allegedly Threatened Farting Neighbor With a Gun

When somebody else farts, it's common to wave your hands -- not a gun.

But Daniel Collins was apparently flat-out tired of his neighbor's flatulence and decided to raise a stink with the help of his trusty firearm.

Police in Teaneck, N.J., said Collins, 72, had been involved in an ongoing dispute with the unidentified neighbor for some time, but Collins got really gassed when the man passed gas near Collins' apartment door, NJ.com reported.

It apparently was the shot heard (and smelt) around the world -- or, at least New Jersey -- because Collins allegedly pointed a revolver at the flatulent neighbor in the vestibule of their apartment building and said “I’m going to put a hole in your head,” according to NorthJersey.com.

When police arrived, Collins denied the threat, but consented to a search. Authorities recovered a .32 caliber revolver from his vehicle.

Collins was charged with aggravated assault, unlawful possession of a firearm, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and terroristic threats, but later released on his own recognizance, NBC New York reported.
        http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1628761.html
        "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

If the guy farts like Pete, I can almost understand.
          I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Why charge him with terroristic threats?
            That all I got to say about that.

Comment

He's standing his ground against an odorous assault.

That would be legal in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                Because everything is terrorism.

-Jon (hopes that crap gets shot down by the SCOTUS soon)

Comment

how is threatening someone aggravated assault? Or are the charging the guy who farted (which would make more sense to me)

zach(clearly has no idea what aggravated assault means)
                  They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                  -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                    It's New Jersey, which is downright psychotically paranoid about guns. NJ is actively anti 2-A, as opposed to CA, which is an intermittent hobbyist anti-2A.

In NJ (and NC and MASS) you have to ask permission of your local chief of police to purchase each individual fire-arm, and in NJ (and MASS) you have to come up with a "valid justification" of some kind for desiring this specific fire arm. Owning a single hollow point cartridge is a felony. Owning more is more felonies. Transporting your own legally owned fire arm in NJ is a felony if you don't have the right kind of permit to do so, and if you do so without it being locked up in a hard case, that's a couple more felonies.

It's a fucked up state.
                    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

how is threatening someone aggravated assault? Or are the charging the guy who farted (which would make more sense to me)

zach(clearly has no idea what aggravated assault means)
                      "assault is a crime which involves causing a victim to apprehend violence. The term is often confused with battery, which involves physical contact. The specific meaning of assault varies between countries, but can refer to an act that causes another to apprehend immediate and personal violence, or in the more limited sense of a threat of violence caused by an immediate show of force."

Comment

Detroit woman accidentally shot while hugging police officer

A Detroit woman who was celebrating her 25th birthday was accidentally shot at party over the weekend when she hugged an off-duty police officer, causing his firearm to discharge.

Authorities said that a bullet pierced Adaisha Miller’s heart and lung after she hugged an officer from behind while she was dancing. She later died in a local hospital.

“For this to happen to her, whether they want to call it freak accident or mistake in judgment, it should have never happened to my child and there’s nothing I can do to get her back,” Miller’s mother, Yolanda McNair, told WDIV-TV.

“All she wanted to do was enjoy the weekend for her birthday. She had every right to enjoy turning 25 and look beyond that.”

The officer, whose name has not been released, has been assigned to administrative duties while the case is being investigated. The findings in the report will be turned over to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s office.
                        http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/0...olice-officer/

Comment

Lesson: don't hug a cop.

-Jon (kidding aside, wants to know how the heck that happened)

Comment

Everybody on the gun forums do as well. The whole point of a holster is to 1) protect the trigger and 2) keep the gun in place, so everybody is very confused.

My guess is either the gun slipped out of its holster (unlikely, but possible) or it wasn't in a holster at all. But I'm just speculating.

Comment

There was an old Japanese WWII pistol that would fire if you squeezed the upper receiver. I really doubt that's what he had, though.

Comment

Authorities said that a bullet pierced Adaisha Miller’s heart and lung after she hugged an officer from behind while she was dancing. She later died in a local hospital.
                                I think that story is bullshit, but if it isn't, her finger probably got into the trigger.

Pete (doesn't see how this is even possible, but suspects that she was "hugging" him around his waist and the weapon was in a belt holster or pocket)

Comment

Working...
                                X