Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man claims to have started his own libertarian country between Croatia and Serbia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete (likes the name of that place)

Comment

I was wondering why Racerboy wasn't posting lately

Comment

Liberland

It's a long read, but I figure a lot of y'all might be interested, especially Steve:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/ma...=top-news&_r=0

(thinks President Jedlicka looks more like Jon though)
        Originally posted by Jared
        When you create any system, there will always be people who manipulate and/or abuse it. If the system provides a service that is useful, eliminating the service as a reaction to the abusers is counter-productive.

Comment

Merged. I don't know about him looking like me. I guess maybe vaguely.
          I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Jon View Post
            Merged. I don't know about him looking like me. I guess maybe vaguely.
            Knowing you and your brother, he could pass for a sibling of both of you.

Pete (is amused by that, given the circumstances)

Comment

In the summer of 2015, he, his girlfriend and a couple of mates planted a flag there. The other three elected him president.
              Since then, he has signed up nearly half a million would-be citizens online. He has appointed a cabinet and ambassadors-in-waiting worldwide. He has money from crowdfunding and wealthy libertarian donors. He has printed diplomatic passports.
              Just one problem - neither he nor anyone else has been able to occupy Liberland for over a year.
              But while Croatia may not have wanted the territory, it didn't necessarily want a gun-toting libertarian utopia on its doorstep either.
              It arrested and fined anyone who tried to enter, either by land or water. The president himself was arrested and fined when he tried to cross into Liberland from Croatia. In a further blow, this summer he was prevented even from entering Croatia.
              http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37941931
              I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X