Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The War on Free Speech Escalates

http://reason.com/archives/2016/12/1...ch-escalates/1
    • French National Assembly approves law bans and criminalizes pro-life websites that "mislead" women
    • France also banned pro-life advertisements that portrayed happy kids with Down Syndrome
    • German Chancellor Merkel suggested banning the face veil worn by some Muslim women
    • France already banned the burqa and hijab years ago
    • Belgium also banned the face veil years ago
    • Netherlands is in the process of banning the clothing as well
    • Localities in Italy have banned the Islamic veil
    • Barcelona, Spain has banned the Islamic veil
    • Stavropol, Russia has banned the hijab
    • Ticino, Switzerland has banned face veils
    • Germany has banned Holocaust denial and other forms of "hate speech" for decades now
    • The EU is now requiring member states to forbid "hate speech", reaching all the way to privately operated social networks
    • Danish parliament has criminalized "religious teaching" that includes polygamy or spanking
    • British PM Cameron has said that he wants a law that will ban non-violent extremist groups under a very broad definition of "extremism"
    • "Free speech zones" have proliferated across college campuses here in the US
    • President-elect Trump proposed criminalizing burning the US flag
    • Web giants to cooperate on removal of extremist content
    • White House asks Schumer to introduce press shield law
    • WH official: We'll say 'fake news' until media realizes attitude of attacking the President is wrong

And I'm sure there is a lot more. I try to post as much of it as I can. We are entering dark times. The desire to suppress free speech is permeating everywhere.

(I'm adding to the list above and more stories in support below as they develop.)
    Last edited by Just Jon; 05-02-2017, 12:02 PM.
    I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Here's another bit of the anti-speech culture:

California professor in hiding after anti-Trump rant:
      Los Angeles (AFP) - A California college professor who told her students that Donald Trump's election was an "act of terrorism" has gone into hiding after her comments prompted a firestorm and death threats.
      https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...041204207.html

Comment

American University Is Censoring a Statue Because It Offended the FBI

A university is once again resorting to censorship in order to safeguard the delicate feelings of a bunch of fragile little snowflakes—who just happen to work at the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
        http://reason.com/blog/2017/01/04/am...soring-a-statu

Comment

Check out this case:

White PA teenager, 14, charged for making racist comments after he secretly filmed a black student eating chicken wings and then posted the video to social media causing the 16-year-old to beat him up.
          Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4UwU61Trp

Is this kid a racist asshole? Of course, but it isn't a crime to be a racist asshole......except that now it is. I love how he "caused" the other kid to assault him.

What do you guys think?
          "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

"Cyber harassment and ethnic intimidation" were what they charged him with. I'm not sure I buy the intimidation accusation but harassment might be applicable. The other kid was charged for beating up the video-making kid. I'd have to see the local statutes for the two charges to really opine, I guess.

I generally disagree with "hate" laws, since they essentially seek to punish thought, but harassment isn't that.

Comment

Syracuse University Says Avoiding Others, Telling Jokes Are Bias Incidents and Should Be Reported

Syracuse University wants student to combat hate and report bias incidents to the administration when they encounter them on campus. Given how broadly the university defines bias, it's surprising that students have time for anything else.
              http://reason.com/blog/2017/01/12/sy...voiding-others

We're almost in a Chinese Cultural Revolution analogue...
              Last edited by Just Jon; 01-13-2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Donald Trump may have won in the presidency in part because of a backlash against the perception of tyrannical political correctness from the left, but progressives are not the only political group seeking to legislate the terms of civilized debate.

Case in point, a new bill introduced by two Arizona Republican state legislators—Rep. Bob Thorpe and Rep. Mark Finchem—which would ban courses or events promoting "social justice" or anything focused on the interests of any political or identity group.
                http://reason.com/blog/2017/01/16/ar...s-a-safe-space

Republican lawmakers in Arizona are pushing to prohibit school courses and events that promote ethnic studies and social justice, with legislation that critics say broadly targets academic freedom and students of color.
                https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...P=share_btn_tw

Rep. Bob Thorpe said a 2010 law that targeted “ethnic studies” courses at some public schools, including those at Tucson Unified School District, does not go far enough with its prohibition against teaching anything that promotes resentment toward another race. He wants to expand that list to include gender, religion, political affiliation and social class.
                http://tucson.com/news/local/educati...dc0527703.html

Comment

Comment

Some people are resorting to violence to censor speech that they dislike. These are dark times.

First, we decide it's okay to attack Nazis. Then we decide it's okay to punch people who aren't Nazis but are awful and sort of remind us of Nazis. Then it becomes okay to punch the people who say Nazis and Milo are bad but we shouldn't punch them. You know those slippery-slope arguments people are always rolling their eyes at? Well, there's the slippery slope for you. And we'll be normalizing a whole lot of violence as we slide.
                    http://reason.com/blog/2017/02/15/no...s-and-white-ma

Protesters force UC Berkeley to cancel far-right speaker's speech

Comment

For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
                      If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                        For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
                        If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                          They are the enemy of the German volk! We must make the lügenpresse pay for their lies!

(I'm paraphrasing Nazi German ideas on the press in the 1930s.)

Comment

Republican Sen. John McCain took a veiled swipe at President Donald Trump's attacks on the media, cautioning that suppressing the press "is how dictators get started."
                            "I hate the press. I hate you especially," McCain joked. "But the fact is we need you. We need a free press. We must have it. It's vital."

"If you want to preserve — I'm very serious now — if you want to preserve democracy as we know it, you have to have a free and many times adversarial press," McCain said. "And without it, I am afraid that we would lose so much of our individual liberties over time. That's how dictators get started."
                            "They get started by suppressing free press," McCain said of dictators. "In other words, a consolidation of power when you look at history, the first thing that dictators do is shut down the press. And I'm not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator. I'm just saying we need to learn the lessons of history."
                            http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-pres...tarted-n722906

Comment

The House Intelligence Committee's top Democrat, Rep. Adam Schiff, blasted the president for calling the media "the enemy of the American people," telling ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl, "This is something that you hear tin-pot dictators say."
                              "That he essentially views the First Amendment -- because that's what these organizations represent -- as an enemy of the people."
                              http://abc7chicago.com/news/top-demo...s-say/1762358/

Comment

I generally avoid posting things from the Washington Examiner, but this article is worthwhile.

Regarding "bias response teams" at universities:

Over the past year, I surveyed more than 230 such reporting systems for the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education and asked dozens of schools for records about their Bias Response Teams. What I found is detailed in a new report describing how universities broadly define "bias" to include virtually any speech, protected or not, that subjectively offends anyone. On many campuses, administrators are called upon to referee whether speech is polite.

The threat to expressive rights isn't confined to speech from the Left or the Right. Bias reporting systems are being used to report all kinds of speech.
                                What happens when the Bias Response Team is alerted to subversive or offensive speech? Some teams have demonstrated an awareness that a public university cannot (and should not) act to chill protected speech, focusing their efforts instead on supporting students who encounter offensive speech. But others, such as the University of California, San Diego, call upon their lawyers to find "creative" ways to censor offensive speech: in that case, a student newspaper satirizing "safe spaces." (The university is now being sued for these "creative" efforts.)
                                http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/st...rticle/2615405

These moves are incredibly ominous and represent a complete shift away from the culture that once so well fostered free speech. I couldn't imagine going to college and having to deal with this craziness. Many kids are taught early on, prior to going to college, that if they complain to an authority about something that makes them uncomfortable, the authority will eliminate the discomfort. And now we see some universities reinforcing that behavior and mindset. These kids are going to support oppressive governments because they desire oppression.

Comment

Working...
                                X