No announcement yet.

Change to internet law makes websites liable for illegal sex acts by users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The U.S. Senate just passed one of the worst bills in recent memory, the so-called "Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act" (FOSTA) that cleared the House of Representatives in late February.

This is the measure that would make online prostitution ads a federal crime and decimate Section 230, the federal provision shielding web publishers and platforms from certain legal liabilities for the things that users post. It's largely portrayed as a response to Backpage, but its reach goes far far beyond that.
    https://reason.com/blog/2018/03/21/s...afficking-bill
    I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

So...we'd much rather have hookers out on the street than arranging meetups on the internet.

Pete (understands)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
        So...we'd much rather have hookers out on the street than arranging meetups on the internet.

Pete (understands)
        What we want is for everything to be a crime so everyone is a criminal. America is done, it's only a matter of time now.
        "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Classified advertising website Craigslist has closed its dating ads section in the US, in response to a new bill against sex trafficking.
          The company said keeping the section open in the US was too much of a risk.

In a statement, Craigslist said the new law would "subject websites to criminal and civil liability when third parties (users) misuse online personals unlawfully".

"Any tool or service can be misused. We can't take such risk without jeopardising all our other services, so we are regretfully taking Craigslist personals offline," it said.
          http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43514645

The notion is ridiculous. This law could even put this forum in jeopardy if intent doesn't matter.

I long considered having a classifieds section of JP but now that's out the window.
          Last edited by Just Jon; 03-23-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Gun Deals, Beer Trade and Cigar Market are three of the latest communities to be banned by Reddit in a move to distance the social website from transactions of "illicit or strictly controlled" goods.
            http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-43513105

This is also a result of this law.

Comment

Microsoft To Ban ‘Offensive Language’ & Monitor Your Private Account

The U.S. Senate just voted 97-2 to pass the Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act (FOSTA, H.R. 1865), a bill that silences online speech by forcing Internet platforms to censor their users. As lobbyists and members of Congress applaud themselves for enacting a law tackling the problem of trafficking, let’s be clear: Congress just made trafficking victims less safe, not more.
              https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/0...sored-internet

Comment

How many hookers are going to out their political Johns now?

Comment

Rand Paul and Ron Wyden were the two Nays.

Comment

The US authorities have taken control of a classified adverts website accused of involvement in sex trafficking.

A notice was posted on Backpage.com's various international front pages late last week to inform visitors.

The site had previously shut down the adult section of its US site, but critics had alleged that prostitution ads had simply moved to other pages.
                    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43699203

And now, with this preposterous law, the website proprietors are in serious trouble. I will not open this forum to new registrations because of this law. I cannot keep up with the spam that will inundate the forum and that spam does include offers that would be prohibited by this law.

Comment

Still no charges unveiled in Backpage case. As of Monday morning, the indictment that led to a federal shutdown of the classified-ads site Backpage.com, the seizure of its servers, and raids on the founders' homes was still unavailable for public consumption. No entry exists on the Pacer.gov site (a clearinghouse of federal case data), and there's no indication from the Department of Justice (DOJ) when it will be available.

As Scott Shackford reported, a DOJ spokesperson said late Friday that a federal court had ruled that case documents would remain sealed for now. The FBI also confirmed that agents had raided the Sedona, Arizona, home of Backpage co-founder Michael Lacey (reporters also witnessed a raid on co-founder James Larkin's house) and that the website was seized because it was used to facilitate crime.
                      http://reason.com/blog/2018/04/09/my...ckpage-seizure

Comment

I thought they took backpage down a year or more ago.

Pete (wonders if he's imagining things)

Comment

Here's the backpage.com indictment: http://dig.abclocal.go.com/wls/docum...indictment.pdf

After looking at the indictment, it seems clear to me that these guys could have been prosecuted without this law.

Comment

Why does anyone care?

Pete (never understood why people give a shit about "illegal sex acts")

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                              Why does anyone care?

Pete (never understood why people give a shit about "illegal sex acts")
                              The righties care because they believe it's immoral to willingly sell yourself for sex. The lefties care because they think the government must stop "trafficking."

No one should care about consenting adults entering into agreements to pay for services, including sex. We certainly shouldn't be holding website proprietors liable for the illegal acts of users of their sites when the proprietors weren't intentionally complicit. It sounds like these guys did conspire, so it really shouldn't be necessary to have this law that screws all website proprietors as well as many users.

Comment

So if I arrange a hookup to pay for sex with Jared (chosen because he's a putter in California) Jon could be liable. Excellent!

Pete (wonders what these idiots are smoking)

Comment

Working...
                                X