No announcement yet.

Trump to phase out DACA; decision could begin GOP battle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't kept up on this issue, but this seems like a reasonable approach. Dump it back on Congress where it belongs and let them deal with it. As though they're capable of that.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

Dumping it on this inept Republican Congress, that can't even repeal Obamacare while controlling all three branches, is nothing more than a death sentence for those kids.
      "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Deportation is death?

Pete (wonders if that isn't a bit extreme)

Comment

You have a real world comparison, I guess. Tell us more.
          01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
            Dumping it on this inept Republican Congress, that can't even repeal Obamacare while controlling all three branches, is nothing more than a death sentence for those kids.
            What's your argument then? Are you arguing that presidents have absolute authority and can rule by decree? You sure didn't seem to have a problem with Obama's decrees. Now it's a problem with Trump.

As far as I'm concerned, this is one thing that Trump is doing right. Immigration shouldn't be handled by presidential decree. And it's unreasonable to expect that when a president is elected from an opposing party he will then proceed with a decree that his party opposed.

I'd like to see children of illegal immigrants, who are also here illegally, granted legal status. Change to immigration law has to come from Congress. Trump is why rule-by-decree is inappropriate.
            Last edited by Just Jon; 09-06-2017, 08:59 AM.
            I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Does the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 give presidents the authority to do what DACA did?

Even if so, it still wouldn't stop successive presidents from issuing decrees at whim. That would make the INA lousy law. If Congress fails to end presidential whim, even if we can agree that they allowed that whim by law in 1965, the blame falls on them. I think it's time to scrap existing immigration law and clarify immigration procedures and rights.
              Last edited by Just Jon; 09-06-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

skooly, the "death sentence" would be to not address this in Congress and just let the coming court decision kill it dead.

At least in Congress, the Democrats will have the opportunity to make their case.
                At the precipice, we change!
                The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

Law exists so that presidents can't decide people's fates at whim.

Comment

Thousands of protesters took to the streets of Chicago Tuesday to protest President Donald Trumpís decision to end the Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.
                    The demonstrators gathered at Federal Plaza downtown about 5:30 p.m. were planning to march toward Trump Tower, according to a groupís Facebook post claiming to have organized the event.
                    http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...#ixzz4rudqtHrD

Thousands of people registered for deferment with the federal government. Now they may be screwed. That ought to be a valuable lesson to everyone.

Comment

Just register your guns and we'll leave you alone!!!

Pete (laughs)

Comment

And, still, no one is talking about the Russian investigation anymore.

I'll point out that Trump's latest news about DACA could also very easily be a distraction tactic, since he has said he might "revisit" the issue in 6 months if Congress doesn't come up with something. He could easily change his mind at any time without action from Congress. It's a presidential decree until Congress says otherwise. What a convenient distraction whenever he needs it.

People are starting to pay attention to the Russia scandal? Uh oh. Don't make Trump deport you! Ah, there. No one cares again, so you get to stay. Wait. They're paying attention again? And on and on...

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                          Just register your guns and we'll leave you alone!!!

Pete (laughs)
                          That's the lesson.

Comment

If this act was so "illegal", why wasn't it addressed in 2012 when Trump made the EO?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff92se View Post
                              If this act was so "illegal", why wasn't it addressed in 2012 when Trump made the EO?
                              You're joking, right?

Pete (can still hear the wailing lamentations of the conservatives)

Comment

Bump this thread in six months when nothing legislatively has been accomplished.

It's not about process. It's about the end result of deporting the scary illegals.

Mad King Donald talking about his "great love" for dreamers is just more bullshit from this pathological liar.
                                "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Working...
                                X