No announcement yet.

FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe stepping down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait 'til tomorrow. I'm sure someone will explain it to our satisfaction. Fox or CNN; one of them will satisfy us all.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
      Wait 'til tomorrow. I'm sure someone will explain it to our satisfaction. Fox or CNN; one of them will satisfy us all.
      For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
      If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"Weíve always assumed that you canít bring back the dead. But itís a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
        https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...g-down-n842176

I don't know if he's just retiring because he can or if he was forced out or what, but the news seems to making a big giant deal out of this today.

Pete (sees it on the cafeteria TVs as he walks by, but hasn't read up on the story)
        The cloak and dagger behind it has caused the speculation. The avoid the drama, McCabe could have squashed this before it spun this far out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
          The cloak and dagger behind it has caused the speculation. The avoid the drama, McCabe could have squashed this before it spun this far out of control.
          Right. He's sticking around until the day he gets his full pension...so it could just be that he wants to retire. Just imagine finding anyone who believes that though.

Pete (doesn't think that's so weird at all)

Comment

ďItís the Saturday night massacre ... in slow motion.Ē

- Chris Mathews
            "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Ex-FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is fired -- and fires back

Attorney General Jeff Sessions fired former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe late Friday, less than two days shy of his retirement, ending the career of an official who had risen to serve as second-in-command at the bureau.

McCabe had more recently been regularly taunted by President Donald Trump and besieged by accusations that he had misled internal investigators at the Justice Department.

In a blistering statement Friday night, McCabe said his firing is part of a larger effort to discredit the FBI and the special counsel's investigation.

"This attack on my credibility is one part of a larger effort not just to slander me personally, but to taint the FBI, law enforcement, and intelligence professionals more generally," McCabe said. "It is part of this Administration's ongoing war on the FBI and the efforts of the Special Counsel investigation, which continue to this day. Their persistence in this campaign only highlights the importance of the Special Counsel's work."

Shortly after midnight, Trump tweeted. "Andrew McCabe FIRED, a great day for the hard working men and women of the FBI - A great day for Democracy," Trump said. "Sanctimonious James Comey was his boss and made McCabe look like a choirboy. He knew all about the lies and corruption going on at the highest levels of the FBI!"

McCabe had been expected to retire this Sunday, on his 50th birthday, when he would have become eligible to receive early retirement benefits.

But Friday's termination could place a portion of his anticipated pension, earned after more than two decades of service, in significant jeopardy.

The origin of his dramatic fall stems from an internal review conducted by Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz. That report -- the details of which have not been publicly released -- is said to conclude that McCabe misled investigators about his role in directing other officials at the FBI to speak to The Wall Street Journal about his involvement in a public corruption investigation into the Clinton Foundation, according to a source briefed on it.

CNN reported on Wednesday that the findings in Horowitz's report on McCabe were referred to the FBI's Office of Professional Responsibility, staffed with career officials, who recommended McCabe's termination. McCabe, accompanied by his lawyer, tried making a last-ditch effort Thursday to avoid the firing, meeting with officials at the deputy attorney general's office at the Justice Department for several hours while Sessions was traveling, but to no avail.

"After an extensive and fair investigation and according to Department of Justice procedure, the Department's Office of the Inspector General (OIG) provided its report on allegations of misconduct by Andrew McCabe to the FBI's Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR)," Sessions said in a statement late Friday. "The FBI's OPR then reviewed the report and underlying documents and issued a disciplinary proposal recommending the dismissal of Mr. McCabe. Both the OIG and FBI OPR reports concluded that Mr. McCabe had made an unauthorized disclosure to the news media and lacked candor − including under oath − on multiple occasions."
              https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/16/polit...red/index.html

Comment

Wow, waiting for a day before his retirement.... firing him to screw his pension... then gloating about it.

Mad King Donald is a real son of a bitch.

Comment

moiged
                  I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Trump deserves every bit of backlash he gets from McCabe going forward, and I hope McCabe's got lots of it.

Pete (drops the honorific for this post)

Comment

He took plenty of CYA notes in meetings with Trump, which anyone ought to be doing.

Comment

Sen. Rand Paul on McCabe on Face the Nation last weekend:

SEN. RAND PAUL: Um, sure. Anytime the president speaks I'm sure it has influence on public opinion. I don't know how much influence that has on the investigation. I would say that the facts with regard to McCabe are very important. It appears that the facts are from the inspector general's office and the inspector general is something I'm a big fan of. They're objective, they are not partisan. They look at the facts. They basically have said that McCabe leaked classified documents. That's illegal, but then he also lied about leaking classified documents. And so you know the FBI are sticklers on this and they don't tolerate lying from their agents.

And so, if all that's true, I see no way that he could continue in his office and that punishment is appropriate. I mean look at it in comparison to General Flynn. General Flynn's been offered a year in jail for lying about something or misleading the FBI about something that was actually legal. Here we have an instance where McCabe does something illegal and lies about it how I would say this is a greater offense than Flynn--

BRENNAN: Have you seen the results of the investigation into Andrew McCabe, which have not been made public and are you saying you agree he should have been fired?

SEN. PAUL: If the facts are true as they've been reported in the media, that McCabe lied about releasing classified documents. Yes, it's against the law to release classified documents and against the law to lie about it if the FBI asked you about it. So that would be two significant infractions--

BRENNAN: But you don't know that he did that--

SEN. PAUL: --If that's true then absolutely he should be fired--

BRENNAN: You haven't seen evidence that he did that is what you're saying.

SEN. PAUL: I know only what the news is reporting on this and that's what everyone in the news says that this is what happened. That he leaked-- that he illegally leaked classified documents and then lied about it.

SEN. PAUL: I'm afraid that the FBI has been terribly damaged by all of this really starting with James Comey and I think there's been this politicization of it. I think James Comey could well have cost Hillary Clinton the election by basically not indicting her, but then saying she was guilty as heck in a press conference and then I think they reversed course and then went over the top on Trump. Really the FBI needs to learn to stay out of politics. And here's the problem and from the beginning of our country Madison warned about this that men are not angels. So you have people at the FBI that turn out to be very biased, McCabe, Peter Strzok, Lisa Page.

This is why I've been advocating that no one should be allowed to search American's data, Republican or Democrat without asking a judge for permission through a warrant. This is the institutional reform that I've been advocating. And it-it means that bias can come from either side. But law enforcement has such enormous power and needs to be held in check and balance by judiciary-- by the judiciary.
                        https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcr...march-18-2018/

Comment

The FBI office that handles employee discipline has recommended firing the bureauís former deputy director over allegations that he authorized the disclosure of sensitive information to a reporter and misled investigators when asked about it, leaving Attorney General Jeff Sessions to decide whether he should fire the veteran official just four days before his expected retirement date, people familiar with the matter said.

The recommendation from the FBIís Office of Professional Responsibility is likely to add fuel to the political fire surrounding former deputy director Andrew McCabe, who abruptly stepped down from his post earlier this year but technically remained an FBI employee.
                          McCabe, 49, had long been expected to retire on March 18, though he abruptly left his post earlier this year after his boss, FBI Director Christopher A. Wray, was told of what the inspector general had found.
                          https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.ef94a65a4d3d

While it might be too early to label fired former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe a victim, there is without question one victim in this story: the American people, who have been left to form opinions without benefit of the facts.
                          https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.ef14c251011e

I'm not in a hurry to be sympathetic to McCabe.
                          Last edited by Just Jon; 03-19-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

You don't need to be sympathetic to McCabe to understand that the guy was voluntarily firing himself and all it costs is his pension, and Trump felt the need to step in and kick him on the way out for the sole reason of preventing him from getting it.

That's a recipe for retribution, and it doesn't matter if McCabe was dirty or not.

Pete (mutters something about kicking sleeping dogs)

Comment

Being that kind of an asshole is what sends on-edge people into going postal. If McCabe has damming evidence, you can bet he'll be very cooperative with Mueller, et al.

Comment

Right. Whatever Trump did and whatever McCabe knows, McCabe was willing to wave the white flag and just go away. Trump is the kind of jackass who can't resist shooting at him anyway.

Pete (wonders how the guy has lasted this long when he's constantly making enemies)

Comment

Working...
                                X