Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump 'supportive' of improved gun background checks, banning "bump stocks" by fiat, sidestepping due process

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump is supportive of something he knows will never pass the House anyway.

Pete (understands)

Comment

WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump says he's signed a memo directing the Justice Department to propose regulations to "ban all devices" like bump stocks used in last year's Las Vegas massacre.
      http://abc7chicago.com/politics/trum...tocks/3114888/
      I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

The only problem I have with a little bit of gun control is that it is what you have before you have a lot of gun control. It's the old "if you give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile".
        At the precipice, we change!
        The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
          The only problem I have with a little bit of gun control is that it is what you have before you have a lot of gun control. It's the old "if you give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile".
          Every gun owner and gun rights supporter fears the slippery slope with good reason.
          I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

You can eat an elephant one bite at a time.
            "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Who are the absolute STS?

We said "we want better controls that ensure people who demonstrably shouldn't have guns can't". You heard "we are going to take all of your guns and melt them down into a statue of a kneeling NFL player."
              They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
              -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

What's STS?

Pete (googled and failed)

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
                  We said "we want better controls that ensure people who demonstrably shouldn't have guns can't."
                  You know...

...Israel pretty much uses exactly this kind of argument to make sure that only Jewish Israelis can have guns and Palestinians can't.

Pete (has a pretty strong suspicion that the minute that Democrats succeed in getting such control, the Republicans will use it to disarm black and brown people)

Comment

and Democrats will subsequently use it to disarm everybody who isn't police or elected politicians.
                    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                      What's STS?

Pete (googled and failed)
                      storm trooper statists?
                      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
                        Honestly, I've never actually believed this sentiment. I think it's a cop out. If that were actually true, then we should be in a worse position than we were with Clinton's ban... hell, if that were true you'd have to show ID to get a bottle of scope. Americans are a fickle bunch, IMO moreso than most other people. The winds of opinion regular change.

Comment

Originally posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
                          Honestly, I've never actually believed this sentiment. I think it's a cop out. If that were actually true, then we should be in a worse position than we were with Clinton's ban... hell, if that were true you'd have to show ID to get a bottle of scope. Americans are a fickle bunch, IMO moreso than most other people. The winds of opinion regular change.
                          I said this in another thread and I'll repeat it here. Mark my words.

The very minute that the Democrats succeed in establishing a precedent for preventing one group or another from getting guns, whatever that group is, the Republicans will start working to keep minorities and illegals and poor people and others they consider "undesirable" from getting guns. And it will work, too, as Democrats lap up the additional "gun safety."

The argument makes itself...what's more "sensible" than preventing illegal immigrants from purchasing arms?

Pete (doesn't think people on either side really think these things through)

Comment

The very minute that the Democrats succeed in establishing a precedent for preventing one group or another from getting guns, whatever that group is, the Republicans will start working to keep minorities and illegals and poor people and others they consider "undesirable" from getting guns. And it will work, too, as Democrats lap up the additional "gun safety."
                            None of this would survive an Equal Protection challenge.

Unreasonable fear by gun owners is the single greatest impediment to progress. Fear of crime. Fear of compromise. And you guys call the stronger control advocates emotional!
                            "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                              None of this would survive an Equal Protection challenge.

Unreasonable fear by gun owners is the single greatest impediment to progress. Fear of crime. Fear of compromise. And you guys call the stronger control advocates emotional!
                              We will probably live long enough to see if I'm right.

Pete (hopes he isn't but thinks he is)

Comment

We will probably live long enough to see if I'm right.

Pete (hopes he isn't but fears he is)
                                Edited to illustrate what skooly heard when he read your parenthetical.

Comment

Working...
                                X