No announcement yet.

Illinois lawmakers pass several new gun laws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That will fix.......absolutely nothing. But hey, they did something and now the scared little animals will be happy.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
      That will fix.......absolutely nothing. But hey, they did something and now the scared little animals will be happy.
      No, they're not satiated at all yet. They won't be happy until lawful and good gun owners are turned into criminals. I fully expect my guns to be confiscated. I have magazines with more than 10 rounds for all of them. 10 seems to be the magic number of acceptable rounds to the anti-gun people in IL.
      I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Jon View Post
        No, they're not satiated at all yet. They won't be happy until lawful and good gun owners are turned into criminals. I fully expect my guns to be confiscated. I have magazines with more than 10 rounds for all of them. 10 seems to be the magic number of acceptable rounds to the anti-gun people in IL.
        They don't want to take your guns Jon. That's just your alt-right paranoia fighting against common sense.
        "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

They don't want to take your guns Jon. That's just your alt-right paranoia fighting against common sense.
          I just want to be left alone. I'm really tired of the bullshit culture war between the idiots on the left and the idiots on the right. Both sides want to plunder everyone else's wealth or property for their own desires.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Jon View Post
            I just want to be left alone. I'm really tired of the bullshit culture war between the idiots on the left and the idiots on the right. Both sides want to plunder everyone else's wealth or property for their own desires.
            To paraphrase: slaves want to be masters, not free. In the future, we may look back and realize we were already in a civil war at this point. A cold civil war, but a civil war none the less.

Comment

To paraphrase: slaves want to be masters, not free. In the future, we may look back and realize we were already in a civil war at this point. A cold civil war, but a civil war none the less.
              Plenty of slaves want to be free, but when the law exists to thwart it's own purpose, as Bastiat described, people argue over who gets the power to plunder.

Comment

They passed more absolutely draconian bills this week and are moving others forward.

HB1469

This is the so-called "Paul Bauer Act" that bans all magazines with capacities of more than 10 rounds, which affects a large majority of guns. It would make every gun I own illegal after 90 days of passing this law. This will not affect the millions of magazines in the hands of criminals. And even gun dealers would be criminals for possessing these magazines. Dealers can sell the mags to out-of-state buyers but they can't possess the mags without going to jail, so the law would encourage dealers to leave the state.

It's a class 3 felony for having a magazine that holds over 15 rounds and a class 2 felony for having 2 or more of the newly illegal magazines. That's unbelievably harsh. Furthermore, there is no instruction about to whom owners should relinquish the newly illegal magazines within those 90 days. There is NO provision for grandfathering current owners as has been the case in the past with similar bans. This is confiscation. I will have to turn in my magazines, which makes my guns useless.

It's also very possible that the firearms that hold these magazines will also be made illegal soon. That will put me out thousands of dollars with no recourse and, to be perfectly frank, I'm not sure I want to turn my guns in to the cops because I have no idea how they will react or if that will mark me for future harassment.

HB1664

This is the "grudge reporting" law. If someone doesn't like a gun owner, he/she can anonymously call a hotline and claim the person is dangerous whether or not that is actually true. The call itself becomes grounds for probable cause, so the gun owner is screwed even if he/she is completely innocent of any wrongdoing.

HB0772

This is the lethal order of protection law that completely eschews due process for gun owners. It allows the cops or an individualís family members to petition the court for an ex parte restraining order if the petitioner considers the individual to be a danger to themselves or others simply because the individual owns, possesses or purchases a gun. The gun owner doesn't get to testify. It would cause the surrender of FOID cards and concealed carry licenses, and the seizure of firearms, without notice or due process for the gun owner. The mere act of buying a gun could be considered grounds for the order.

These laws severely oppress individual rights. It won't be long before the FOID card itself becomes probable cause for search and seizure. WI, by contrast, allows open carry and has no restrictions beyond federal restrictions on the types of guns and magazine sizes. They also don't require a license for gun ownership, like the IL FOID card. I'm getting more interested in moving across the border.
                Last edited by Just Jon; 03-09-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Rauner has announced that he plans to veto the gun dealer licensing bill.

SB1657 is the final passed bill

To those who don't know much about guns, I'll point out that every gun dealer in the USA has to be licensed by the federal government. I am convinced that the law, as written and passed, would have made it nearly impossible for gun dealers to sell guns in IL.

The "big box" sellers are exempted and they also, coincidentally, happen to not have gun ranges:

12 (13) transfers of firearms by a dealer in which 20% or less
                  13 of the dealer's annual sales are from the sale of firearms.
                  The design of the licensing board and the board's enormously broad powers are of particular interest.

Comment

This means that Rauner just found out he has the votes to stop an override.

Pete (thinks ahead)

Comment

Working...
                    X