Brett Kavanaugh Is Trump’s Pick for Supreme Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
    Centralizing government power is always a move closer to tyranny and the Constitution represents the greatest centralization of power in the history of this nation.
    While this may be true, compared to most other countries, current or historical, the centralization of power has been modest at best.

Pete (wonders which other model is better)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
      While this may be true, compared to most other countries, current or historical, the centralization of power has been modest at best.

Pete (wonders which other model is better)
      Yes, we are the world's tallest midget. You are right, I still wouldn't want to be anywhere else, but that doesn't mean I don't want to strive to keep it the best place and that isn't the direction it's going.

Steve (knows how the long game ends)
      "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Considering we've evolved from feudal kingships to a constitutional republic, the long game aint all that bad.
        "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45546954

Brett Kavanaugh: Republican senators call for vote delay

A number of Republicans have said the vote on US President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, should be paused while allegations of sexual assault are properly heard.

It comes after Christine Blasey Ford accused Mr Kavanaugh of attacking her.

The allegation, which Mr Kavanaugh has denied, emerged days before the Senate Judiciary Committee votes on the post.

Prof Ford is willing to testify before the Senate panel ahead of its vote, her lawyer has now said.

And White House adviser Kellyanne Conway said Prof Ford should "not be insulted or ignored" and should testify under oath, although that would be up to the panel to decide.
          Pete (updates)

Comment

Kavanaugh will fit in just fine with the other Republican nominated sexual assaulter currently on the Court,

Comment

Well...this is going nowhere.

When this first broke, I immediately thought, "This will all depend on the witness." If the friend that was with Kavanaugh backs her, Kavanaugh is cooked. If the friend backs Kavanaugh, he'll be fine.

We already know:

https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-...-of-misconduct

Kavanaugh Classmate Named in Letter Strongly Denies Allegations of Misconduct

The Kavanaugh classmate quoted in the New Yorker is Mark Judge, a writer in Washington, D.C. Judge spoke to THE WEEKLY STANDARD Friday afternoon, strongly denying that any such incident ever occurred. "It's just absolutely nuts. I never saw Brett act that way," Judge told TWS.
              The rest is all theater. To be sure, there will be a lot of people who think both Judge and Kavanaugh are lying, but it won't matter. Ford's statement included a potential witness, and that witness says it never happened. That's two voices against the accuser. That's one too many.

Maybe Anita Hill was telling the truth or maybe she was lying, but if she was lying she at least had the sense not to include an easily verifiable witness in her story to testify against her.

Pete (also notes that the Republicans really want to vote the guy in anyway, so this isn't going to stop them)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                Well...this is going nowhere.

When this first broke, I immediately thought, "This will all depend on the witness." If the friend that was with Kavanaugh backs her, Kavanaugh is cooked. If the friend backs Kavanaugh, he'll be fine.

We already know:

https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-...-of-misconduct

The rest is all theater. To be sure, there will be a lot of people who think both Judge and Kavanaugh are lying, but it won't matter. Ford's statement included a potential witness, and that witness says it never happened. That's two voices against the accuser. That's one too many.

Maybe Anita Hill was telling the truth or maybe she was lying, but if she was lying she at least had the sense not to include an easily verifiable witness in her story to testify against her.

Pete (also notes that the Republicans really want to vote the guy in anyway, so this isn't going to stop them)
                what's corroborated is that the two of these guys were buddies, jocks, and were wildly drunk a bunch during high school.

the jock buddies will defend each other of course. but, if they really acted this way as are accused, it was unlikely just once with one girl.
                so unless other stories leak out from other victims/witnesses, then I agree it goes nowhere.

dusty (notes that with the speed of news events these days the mere delay of the nomination could also end up achieving unusual results in unexpected ways)
                For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
                If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                  Kavanaugh will fit in just fine with the other Republican nominated sexual assaulter currently on the Court,
                  So all you need is accusation? Better hope you are never accused.
                  "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

What else did Rush say?

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                      what's corroborated is that the two of these guys were buddies, jocks, and were wildly drunk a bunch during high school.

the jock buddies will defend each other of course. but, if they really acted this way as are accused, it was unlikely just once with one girl.
                      so unless other stories leak out from other victims/witnesses, then I agree it goes nowhere.

dusty (notes that with the speed of news events these days the mere delay of the nomination could also end up achieving unusual results in unexpected ways)
                      I agree. I just don't think it's going to take more than just this one lady to convince the Republicans to just vote him in because the witness here backs their guy up

Pete (thinks something new has to occur to stop Kavanaugh)

Comment

I like my popcorn buttered when I go to the theater.

Comment

Originally posted by electrician1976 View Post
                          I like my popcorn buttered when I go to the theater.
                          I don't think that's a popcorn...
                          "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                            What else did Rush say?
                            Unless you are talking about my favorite band I have no idea, but you probably do.

I guessed you missed the day in law school where they talked about due process and presumption of innocence.

Steve (laughs at the constant hysterics)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
                              Unless you are talking about my favorite band I have no idea, but you probably do.

I guessed you missed the day in law school where they talked about due process and presumption of innocence.

Steve (laughs at the constant hysterics)
                              There should be a due process, but the presumption of “innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt” only necessarily applies to the question of whether the State can punish, incarcerate or kill one who is criminally accused.

There’s nothing that says that needs to be the same standard when evaluating whether to award a nominee to a lifetime appointment to one of the most powerful and supposedly one of the most principled positions in the world.
                              For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
                              If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                                There should be a due process, but the presumption of “innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt” only necessarily applies to the question of whether the State can punish, incarcerate or kill one who is criminally accused.

There’s nothing that says that needs to be the same standard when evaluating whether to award a nominee to a lifetime appointment to one of the most powerful and supposedly one of the most principled positions in the world.
                                Let's just say for the moment everythimg Ford says is true. 35 years ago as a teenager she is at a party with a bunch of other teens where everyone is drinking. She ends up in a room with a couple of them and one tries to make some moves to get laid. Keep in mind, she is not saying she was raped so what do you really have here even if it's all true?

By that standard there's more than one woman who needs to fear me if they become famous enough. I'm not a Kavenaugh fan at all, but I know a hit job when I see one and that's all an uncooberated he said she said can possibly be seen as after 35 years.

People are fearful of bad people ruling over them? Well then stop being a bunch of fucking idiots and accepting people ruling over you. It's not the people, it's the system guaranteed to fail when so much power is entrusted to so few people.

Steve (knows the forest always burns eventually, it's just part of the cycle)

Comment

Working...
                                X