No announcement yet.

Brett Kavanaugh Is Trump’s Pick for Supreme Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are the libertarians so silent about the right to privacy when it comes to abortion?

In all the years I've known you guys, rarely have I heard a peep about it.
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

We're not actually. Jon has been bitching about Kavanaugh's record on that and on police surveillance and NSA snooping all morning, he's just not doing it here.

Pete (agrees with him)

Comment

I don't know the first thing about this guy, so I'm holding my tongue until I do.

I would be delighted to see a supreme court nominee who can recognize that the SCOTUS job is to protect the rights of individuals from government encroachment. Unfortunately, over the last couple decades (at s bare minimum) the high court has approached law from the point of view that government convenience and prerogatives are measured against previous decisions of law, and fundamental rights are usually ignored.

I'm sure you've seen me bitching about that here and there in the past.
        "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

I'm not going to pretend I followed the judicial nominee process at all, but it seems to me that Kavanaugh has zero libertarian properties and is probably one of the worst possible choices for me. There's nothing particularly libertarian about him. He's a big-government conservative.

Pete (is resigned to that so he doesn't even particularly care all that much)

Comment

Is if who they picked will make any difference.

Comment

A few interesting tidbits:
              Nor can it be used to shield an official who might have lied to Congress. The Senate Judiciary Committee has asked the Justice Department to investigate Brett Kavanaugh, a former White House official who told a Senate hearing on his appointment to a federal judgeship that he was not involved in forming rules on the treatment of detainees. Recent press accounts suggest that he was.
              from 2007: https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/opinion/01sun1.html

And while Kavanaugh has expressed that he is personally opposed to indicting a sitting president, he has been quite open to the prospect that the Constitution permits it. In his Georgetown Law Journal piece, Kavanaugh wondered whether the Constitution permitted a prosecutor to indict a sitting president. His answer? Maybe. In his view, the matter was “debatable.”... ...In a 2009 piece in the Minnesota Law Review, Kavanaugh held fast to these views: “Congress might consider a law exempting a President—while in office—from criminal prosecution and investigation,” he wrote. He then qualified that “a serious constitutional question exists” as to whether a sitting president could be indicted.
              From: http://www.libertylawsite.org/2018/0...ive-privilege/
              They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
              -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by electrician1976 View Post
                Is if who they picked will make any difference.
                Funny that's what I said to Jon this morning. He said "I don't like this pick" and I responded with, "Well yeah, he was selected by a President. Anyone we would want that would never happen to!"

Pete (thought he was rather clever)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                  Funny that's what I said to Jon this morning. He said "I don't like this pick" and I responded with, "Well yeah, he was selected by a President. Anyone we would want that would never happen to!"

Pete (thought he was rather clever)
                  Once you get past the illusion that the constitution was handed down on stone tablets, you realize it’s all theater.

Comment

Once you get past the illusion that the constitution was handed down on stone tablets, you realize it’s all theater.
                    Please elaborate.

Comment

Centralizing government power is always a move closer to tyranny and the Constitution represents the greatest centralization of power in the history of this nation.
                      "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                        Please elaborate.
                        Look at how few people the bill of rights actually applied to.

Comment

Look at how few people the bill of rights actually applied to.
                          So... I take it you're not an originalist, right?
                          They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                          -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
                            So... I take it you're not an originalist, right?
                            The people who wrote the damn thing didn’t even believe in it. Read up on the Whiskey Rebellion.

Comment

The people who wrote the damn thing didn’t even believe in it. Read up on the Whiskey Rebellion.
                              The first time the U.S. government uses its military and it's against its own citizens for the benefit of its cronies. That's where we started and it's all been downhill from there.
                              "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
                                Centralizing government power is always a move closer to tyranny and the Constitution represents the greatest centralization of power in the history of this nation.
                                Can you name a modern first-world country with greater liberties than us?

Comment

Working...
                                X