X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jester View Post

‘Cause you’re not a felon.
    We are all felons.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
      Don't forget, Florida just restored voting rights to over a million felons (which was the right thing to do) and that almost certainly means Florida will go blue in 2020.

Steve (still won't vote for POTUS)
      This is a longer post for a later day, but restrictions on this right have already been erected, including but not limited to payment of restitution for crimes and fees and a waiting list to get reinstated. Democrats are fighting these as "poll taxes."

It'll be interesting to see who wins, but if I had to bet money, 2020 will not be an election which most ex-felons will participate in.

Pete (thinks a bigger factor will be Puerto Rican migrants following Hurricane Maria)

Comment

I normally try to pull bios of candidates from more mainstream sources, but Axios has the best writeup on Pete Buttigieg:

https://www.axios.com/pete-buttigieg...1e63306b1.html

Pete Buttigieg: Everything you need to know about the 2020 candidate

If elected, Pete Buttigieg (boot-a-judge, also known as “Mayor Pete”), the 37-year-old mayor of South Bend, Indiana, would be the youngest U.S. president ever. He also would be the first openly gay president in the nation's history. Buttigieg came out publicly in an essay in the South Bend Tribune during his re-election campaign in 2015.

Buttigieg's stance on key issues
        • College costs: He has concerns about soaring student debt and believes college is too expensive for "too many people." He supports expanding the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program that clears loans in exchange for public service work, per CNBC.
        • Climate change: Buttigieg supports the Paris climate agreement and the Green New Deal, and he thinks climate change is a national security threat, per PBS.He is supportive of government-subsidized solar panels.
        • Guns: He is a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns and supports universal background checks and banning guns in schools, according to PBS.
        • Health care: He is supportive of single-payer health care, but wants to transition to the model via an all-payer rate-setting, which would not eliminate private insurance companies, per the LA Times.
        • Immigration: Buttigieg supports providing a pathway to citizenship for Dreamers, a local network, WSBT reported.
        • Non-discrimination: He supports updating the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to explicitly apply non-discrimination protections to the LGBTQ community.
        • Supreme Court: He is open to having more than 9 Supreme Court justices.
        • Electoral College: He is supportive of abolishing it.

Key criticisms of Buttigieg
        • His age: Buttigieg says being a millennial candidate would be a benefit, rather than a hurdle; for instance, he says he understands student debt better than older candidates. He also says he has a "personal appreciation of the stakes" for climate change since he will be around to deal with the consequences.
        • Lack of national profile: Amid a Democratic field crowded with recognizable political heavy-weights, a Morning Consult pollfound in March that Buttigieg was the top candidate for only 1% of voters. He did get a boost to his national profile when he ran to be chair of the Democratic National Committee.
        • Police recordings: Buttigieg demoted his police chief and fired the police communications director for illegally recording police officers' phone calls that allegedly revealed officers making racist comments. Buttigieg would not release the recordings because he said publicizing the conversations would violate the Federal Wiretap Act, since they were illegally obtained. Some criticized this decision as protecting the officers. The legal battle over whether the tapes should be released remains ongoing.
        Iowa results surprised me until I read this:

He also would be the first openly gay president in the nation's history.
        Now, I am not asserting that this is the sole or only reason why someone would respond favorably for him in a telephone poll, but I do think it explains his performance.

Consider how telephone polling works. In order to be polled, one has to navigate screener questions designed to determine whether or not the person on the phone fits certain demographics. The questions will screen out Republicans, for example, since this is a democratic primary. Then the questions will seek to place you into key demographics so you can be proportionally assigned to a group, then weighted. That is, the pollster only wants so many old people, so he will screen out excess old people. The pollster only wants so many women, so he will screen out excess women. And so on. But pollsters most likely do not seek to screen out excess gays, so to the extent that a likely voter is likely to support Buttigieg solely because he's gay like him, the pollster is prone to oversampling him.

These are the kinds of troubles pollsters deal with when trying to figure out what's likely to happen in the future, but it has a real-world effect on the Democratic Primary. Having posted this poll performance at 11% in Iowa, by Democratic Party rules, Buttigieg gets a seat at the big-person's table for the first debate. He may lose that spot if others overperform and knock him down in later polling, but I'm betting he sticks around.

Pete (finds the thought of a viable 37 year old tastefully named gay candidate refreshing, but thinks he has virtually zero chance of actually winning anything)

Comment

wait, there's a guy named Governor Bootygig? from Iowa? and he's gay?

I'm at work, so laughing hysterically is unprofessional but that's hilarious!

Last edited by Jared; 03-30-2019, 06:29 PM.
          "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

I think it’s safe to say Biden is done after his inappropriate hair sniffing/touching women and inappropriate touching of kids...

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy
            I'm a lot more worried about the commies running DC than I am about commies half way around the world.

Comment

Until another legit mainstream Democrat enters the race, I won't count him out.

Pete (thinks he's the only guy appealing to the Hillary voter from 2016)

Comment

Originally posted by buzzardmountain View Post
                I think it’s safe to say Biden is done after his inappropriate hair sniffing/touching women and inappropriate touching of kids...
                Do you expect the party of #metoo won't turn full hypocrite in a second? I sure don't. Party first.
                "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Ask Al Franken how he was protected. The Dems have savaged many of their own.

Unlike the party of Moral Values, which rallied to protect Judge Kegstand and continues to deify President Pussy Grabber.
                  "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/view-ohio-...opstories.html

This perked my interest:

yan’s entry into 2020 politics could be one to watch given the field has been primarily dominated by more progressive voices thus far. While he has moved to the left on certain key issues over the years, including flipping his self proclaimed “pro-life” stance on abortion, Ryan remains one of the more moderate Democrats now running for the White House within a group of politicians seemingly often trying to out-progressive one another.

During a recent trip to New Hampshire, Ryan also appeared to reference the Green New Deal, which would look to take drastic measures to address climate change, by making a pro-business pitch that the United States “can’t green the economy without the power of the free-market system.”

And with some leaders in the Democratic party like freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Sen. Bernie Sanders, and others targeting billionaires and big business in favor of more progressive policies, Ryan’s tactic of preaching unity and the need to “[come] together” and be “engaged with the business community” in order to solve problems appears to offer an alternative to some of the louder voices currently grabbing headlines within the party.

“You can be hostile to greed, you can be hostile to income inequality, you can be for raising rates, you can be for taxing capital instead of labor,” Ryan said in February. “But you can’t be hostile to business.”

Comment

Booty-Gig!
                      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

I'm sorry, it's still too funny!

Comment

So far, all I see is the Democrat civil war between the leftists and the far far leftists. It's like they want Trump to win again in 2020.

Comment

Hillary went to war with Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
                              So far, all I see is the Democrat civil war between the leftists and the far far leftists. It's like they want Trump to win again in 2020.
                              Don't you?
                              "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post

Don't you?
                                I'd like to see Biden over Trump, but if I'm quite prepared yet to go for a left wing crazy.

Pete (thinks the damage of Trump can be overcome, but those guys have the capacity to stick us with 100 years of misery)

Comment

Working...
                                X