Glee in Russia Over Trump’s Foreign Policy Largess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glee in Russia Over Trump’s Foreign Policy Largess

A note of glee crept into Russian commentary and news coverage on Friday about the current turmoil in Washington around national security, with President Vladimir V. Putin seemingly checking off one item after another that he might have written on his wish list for Santa.

First, President Trump blindsided his aides and the rest of the world by deciding to pull the full contingent of some 2,000 American troops out of Syria, helping the Kremlin to confirm Mr. Putin’s gamble that intervening in Syria would revive Russian influence in the Middle East.

Mr. Trump followed that up by declaring that the United States would pull half its forces out of Afghanistan; the combined withdrawals prompted the resignation of Jim Mattis, the respected general who leads the Pentagon.

All that followed Mr. Trump’s already substantial effort to undermine NATO and the European Union by weakening the American commitment to its traditional alliances.

“Trump is God’s gift that keeps on giving,” said Vladimir Frolov, a Russian columnist and foreign affairs analyst. “Trump implements Russia’s negative agenda by default, undermining the U.S.–led world order, U.S. alliances, U.S. credibility as a partner and an ally. All of this on his own. Russia can just relax and watch and root for Trump, which Putin does at every TV appearance.”

One headline in a regional Russian newspaper trumpeted, “Trump Leaves the Dog Out in the Cold,” referring to Mr. Mattis’s nickname, Mad Dog, from his days in the Marines. Konstantin Kosachev, the head of the international affairs committee in the upper house of Russia’s Parliament, wrote on Facebook that the differences in Washington were “an interesting signal, and moreover, rather a positive one.”

There was also positive news for Russia on the economic front, with Washington announcing that it intended to lift sanctions on Rusal, the Russian company that dominates a large share of the world aluminum market. The firm is headed by Oleg Deripaska, an oligarch who is not only close to Mr. Putin, but also a one-time business partner of Mr. Trump’s former campaign manager, Paul Manafort.

If the perception in some quarters in the United States and on Twitter is that the Kremlin was blackmailing Mr. Trump into doing its bidding, that theory did not gain immediate traction in Russia. Instead, analysts and news articles more likely to suggest that Mr. Trump was fulfilling his campaign pledges.

“I am not of the idea that he is being blackmailed,” said Nina L. Khrushcheva, a professor of international affairs at the New School in New York, currently in Moscow. “Undermining NATO and undermining Europe is something that Putin would like to do, but Trump is doing it for different reasons.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/w...l7OZyLhjTFi5Ys
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

And he doesn't even give a statement to explain himself. This is a classic "My fellow Americans" moment, where every President since I've been alive gets in front of the cameras and explains himself. This guy...sends a tweet.

Pete (can't wait to be rid of him)

Comment

Let's all hope that the 2020 democratic primary results is a decent candidate, because it's going to be like a Chicago primary.
      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X