Trump Will Take Case for Border Wall to Public in National Address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Will Take Case for Border Wall to Public in National Address

President Trump unleashed an offensive on Monday to persuade Americans that a “humanitarian and security crisis” on the southern border must be addressed before a government shutdown can end, announcing a prime-time address for Tuesday and a trip to the border later in the week.

Vice President Mike Pence briefed reporters on the status of negotiations in a hastily arranged session, part of an orchestrated effort to sway balking Democrats who say the government should reopen while they wrangle over Mr. Trump’s demand for $5.7 billion to begin his border wall.

The shutdown, heading into Day 18, has become a critical test for Mr. Trump, who campaigned as a master negotiator and deal maker but so far has achieved virtually no agreements with Democrats. Already, it is the second-longest breakdown in government funding in the nation’s history, affecting about 800,000 federal workers, many of whom will miss their first paycheck this week. The president has offered little to his Democratic adversaries to lure them to the table.

Now, he will try to use a broad-based public appeal to raise the pressure.

Senate Democrats, for their part, were moving to halt legislation to pressure Republicans to reopen the government, starting Tuesday. And late Monday, the Democratic leaders of the House and Senate released a joint statement demanding equal television time.

“Democrats must immediately be given equal airtime,” said the leaders, Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California and Senator Chuck Schumer of New York. They said that “if his past statements are any indication,” Mr. Trump’s address “will be full of malice and misinformation.”

The vice president, while conceding that no progress was made in weekend negotiations with senior Democratic staff members, said Democrats “did not dispute our facts” about what he called a “humanitarian and security crisis.” Democrats and immigration advocates have argued that the administration has vastly overstated the scope of the border situation.

Democrats said Mr. Pence appeared to be misrepresenting their position. While they agreed there was a crisis at the border, one senior Senate Democratic official said, they see it as a humanitarian rather than national security issue. As such, Democrats view Mr. Trump’s proposed wall as an expensive and pointless response that does nothing to address the needs on the ground.

Several aides briefed on the weekend negotiations said the White House appeared eager to promote agreement on almost anything in lieu of any real progress between the two sides.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/u...der-visit.html
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CrPIgh6UEAAmPwz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	507420

Comment

The way he wastes resources on his random bullshit pisses me off hugely.
      They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
      -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ivqxM0y.png
Views:	2
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	507432
        Attached Files

Comment

I didn't watch. Did you?

Pete (is looking for someone to enlighten him if you did)

Comment

Well, I just skimmed the text of the speeches. I'm not sure if the transcript I read is correct or not, because the President's speech almost sounded coherent and was missing all the "Let me tell yous" and "everyone agrees" that are common to his rhetoric. Perhaps it was a canned teleprompter speech and he stuck to it...

This was my favorite line of President Trump's speech: "The wall will also be paid for indirectly by the great new trade deal we have made with Mexico." I don't know why, but that made me laugh. I guess the President just can't let go of pretending he delivered on his campaign promise. I did note that both Pelosi and Schumer seemed to have written their speeches ahead of time to emphasize that Mexico didn't pay, unaware that the President was going to offer a rationale that Mexico did pay. Score one for Trump (or whoever wrote that speech).

The response from the Democrats was predictable. Nancy Pelosi is a keen politician to a fault. I think I could have predicted her speech sentence by sentence, and almost word for word. As anticlimactic as her speech was, I'm not sure why she bothered to deliver it, but Pelosi is always, always, always on target, and she was with her comments again last night.

Schumer surprised me. His speech was equal parts attack the President, appeal to emotional nonsense, and a very odd overture to bipartisanship, but surprisingly low on substance. I'm not sure what we was trying to accomplish with his comments, but he certainly set off my radar as a person who is considering running for President in 2020. I kinda think his comments only make sense in that context.

Pete (will have to get video of Schumer and see if he's trying his best to "look Presidential" as well)
            Last edited by Plezercruz; 01-09-2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Trump's canned speech was everything I expected.... dreadful.

The Dem's rebuttal was underwhelming.

skooly (wishes they would go off script and just tell it straight)

Comment

Ya, he just read off a teleprompter. There was nothing new, or enlighting, other then the surprise, that he didn't go off script.

I don't know why Trump just doesn't say the wall is built, Mexico payed for it, and it's big and beautiful. His followers will believe it.
                Last edited by Beemer; 01-09-2019, 02:38 PM.
                01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

Originally posted by Beemer View Post
                  Ya, he just read off a teleprompter. There was nothing new, or enlighting, other then the surprise, that he didn't go off script.

I don't know why Trump just doesn't say the wall is built, Mexico payed for it, and it's big and beautiful. His followers will believe it.
                  With ideas like that, I bet you could land a job at the White House! I hear chief of staff is open...
                  They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                  -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Does anyone actually want a wall built? Like an actual spend-gobs-of-money-for-no-good-reason wall?

Pete (notes that something like 80% of all illegal aliens in the USA came here legally, and wouldn't have had any issue with any wall)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                      Does anyone actually want a wall built? Like an actual spend-gobs-of-money-for-no-good-reason wall?

Pete (notes that something like 80% of all illegal aliens in the USA came here legally, and wouldn't have had any issue with any wall)
                      Don't bother using logic on the Trump voters -- it never works!

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post

yes, many.
                        "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jared View Post

yes, many.
                          The Republican and right-wing outlets are full of people screaming for it and declaring that they will abandon Trump if they don't get it. It's truly strange.
                          I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

See the other thread. The democrats take the house and now the Republicans have the perfect excuse for not building the wall these idiots desperately want built. Brilliant!

Pete (hates everyone)

Comment

Working...
                            X