Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the president’s own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscow’s influence.

The investigation the F.B.I. opened into Mr. Trump also had a criminal aspect, which has long been publicly known: whether his firing of Mr. Comey constituted obstruction of justice.

Agents and senior F.B.I. officials had grown suspicious of Mr. Trump’s ties to Russia during the 2016 campaign but held off on opening an investigation into him, the people said, in part because they were uncertain how to proceed with an inquiry of such sensitivity and magnitude. But the president’s activities before and after Mr. Comey’s firing in May 2017, particularly two instances in which Mr. Trump tied the Comey dismissal to the Russia investigation, helped prompt the counterintelligence aspect of the inquiry, the people said.

The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, took over the inquiry into Mr. Trump when he was appointed, days after F.B.I. officials opened it. That inquiry is part of Mr. Mueller’s broader examination of how Russian operatives interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Trump associates conspired with them. It is unclear whether Mr. Mueller is still pursuing the counterintelligence matter, and some former law enforcement officials outside the investigation have questioned whether agents overstepped in opening it.

The criminal and counterintelligence elements were coupled together into one investigation, former law enforcement officials said in interviews in recent weeks, because if Mr. Trump had ousted the head of the F.B.I. to impede or even end the Russia investigation, that was both a possible crime and a national security concern. The F.B.I.’s counterintelligence division handles national security matters.

If the president had fired Mr. Comey to stop the Russia investigation, the action would have been a national security issue because it naturally would have hurt the bureau’s effort to learn how Moscow interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Americans were involved, according to James A. Baker, who served as F.B.I. general counsel until late 2017. He privately testified in October before House investigators who were examining the F.B.I.’s handling of the full Russia inquiry.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/u...gtype=Homepage
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Russian spy in the White House... but he’’s good for the economy so whatevs.

Comment

I'm fascinated to hear what the resolution of this investigation will reveal (or not)
      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

I don't believe Trump is a Russian spy.

Pete (would have to believe that Trump is really really smart to come to that conclusion, and just doesn't believe that)

Comment

This is now becoming on the level of the Birthers.
          I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Nothing will ever reach Birther level insanity!

Click image for larger version

Name:	17oxwzm2p9ovtjpg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	507521

Comment

...except this. Even they didn't get a federal investigation.

Comment

Good times...

Click image for larger version

Name:	OBAMAS-BIRTH-CERTIFICATE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	507525

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                  I don't believe Trump is a Russian spy.

Pete (would have to believe that Trump is really really smart to come to that conclusion, and just doesn't believe that)
                  I don't believe that he's a spy, but I think it's plausible that he's been manipulated into certain courses of action that are beneficial to Russia. As we have observed, he really loves autocrats, who he perceives as strong and decisive leaders, and he thinks of himself as one of them. It's not much of a stretch to go from there to having a Russian agent butter him up, lay the groundwork for a meeting with Putin, work out a couple of deals that are financially sweet for him and his family, and at the fancy dinner later on, Putin talks about all the stupid democrats who don't like Russia or any strong foreign leaders, and all they ( the dems) want to do is block a few very reasonable business deals... and suddenly Putin has a very sympathetic ear in the White House.
                  Last edited by Jared; 01-15-2019, 08:06 AM.
                  "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

I could see him having been flipped.
                    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                    -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Putin is extremely shrewd. Trump is a moron who is easily manipulated. I have no doubt at all that Putin manipulates him. That's a far cry from an accusation of superspy.

Comment

Putin helped Trump get elected. Of course Trump is going to bend over backwards to please him, hold secret meetings with him, destroy the translator's notes, etc. I'm sure Putin has some great kompromat on him too.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                          Putin helped Trump get elected. Of course Trump is going to bend over backwards to please him, hold secret meetings with him, destroy the translator's notes, etc. I'm sure Putin has some great kompromat on him too.
                          Yeah, and Obama isn't a citizen.

Comment

Working...
                          X