Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump pledged to protect Medicare and Medicaid, but his 2020 budget calls for major spending cuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump pledged to protect Medicare and Medicaid, but his 2020 budget calls for major spending cuts

Critics of President Donald Trump's new budget are accusing him of breaking a key campaign promise ahead of his 2020 re-election bid.

His fiscal 2020 proposal unveiled Monday calls for reductions in funding for Medicare and Medicaid relative to current law. Over a decade, the plan would shave an estimated $800 billion or more off Medicare, which covers older Americans, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation and various reports. It would also cut spending on Medicaid, the federal-state program that insures low-income Americans, by more than $200 billion while setting up block grants to states.

Congress ultimately decides what money to spend, and Trump's proposal is not likely to get through Capitol Hill. Still, a budget represents a president's priorities even if it may not ultimately impact Americans' lives.

For Trump — who during his 2016 presidential bid promised not to cut the popular Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security programs — the proposal opens another vulnerability as he tries to hold on to the White House. In 2015, he declared that he "was the first and only" possible GOP presidential candidate to "state there will be no cuts to Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid."
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/trum...-spending.html
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

I would bet good money he actually forgot he said that.

Pete (would bet a small amount of money he will claim he never did)

Comment

He's got no idea what he said yesterday, forget about what he said on the campaign trail.

I think it's just not important to him.
      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X