Why the man Trump once called ‘my African American’ is leaving the GOP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the man Trump once called ‘my African American’ is leaving the GOP

Gregory Cheadle, the black man President Donald Trump once described at a rally as “my African American,” is fed up.

After two years of frustration with the president’s rhetoric on race and the lack of diversity in the administration, Cheadle told PBS NewsHour he has decided to leave the Republican party and run for a seat in the U.S. House of Representative as an independent in 2020.

Now, the 62-year-old real estate broker, who supported the Republican approach to the economy, said he sees the party as pursuing a “pro-white” agenda and using black people like him as “political pawns.” The final straw for Cheadle came when he watched many Republicans defend Trump’s tweets telling four congresswomen of color, who are all American citizens, to go back to their countries, as well as defend the president’s attacks on Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., and his comments that Cummings’ hometown of Baltimore is “infested.”

“President Trump is a rich guy who is mired in white privilege to the extreme,” said Cheadle, of Redding, Calif., who switched from being an independent to a Republican in 2001. “Republicans are too sheepish to call him out on anything and they are afraid of losing their positions and losing any power themselves.”
    Cheadle became widely known in June 2016 when Trump, then a presidential candidate, pointed to him at a rally in Redding, Calif. and said, “Look at my African American over here. Look at him. Are you the greatest?” When you look at his appointments for the bench: White, white, white, white white, white, white.
    At the time, Cheadle took the president’s comments as a joke and laughed along with the president and the crowd of largely white supporters. Now, his view of that moment has changed. “I’m more critical of it today than I was back then because today I wonder to what extent he said that for political gain or for attention,” he said.

Cheadle said he understands some will think he waited too long to leave the Republican party, even accepting those assertions as “correct.” He said he had held out hope that the Republican party would move to work on challenges specifically facing African Americans like healthcare disparities or black families having less wealth than white families. But, he no longer expects that.

Cheadle said he is especially unhappy with the racial makeup of the president’s judicial nominations. Trump often gets loud applause at campaign rallies for touting how many judges his administration has been able to get confirmed by the Senate. But an Associated Press analysis has found that 91 percent of Trump’s nominees are white, and 81 percent are male.

Cheadle said he wouldn’t use the term “racist” to describe the president but believes he has a “white superiority complex.”

“When you look at his appointments for the bench: White, white, white, white white, white, white,” Cheadle said. “That to me is really damning to everybody else because no one else gets a chance because he’s thinking that the whites are superior, period.”
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...bIaDQWw1h1_k8g
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

This dumbass woke up about 4 years too late.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
      How dare he not follow the democrat plantation rules!

Do you really think the white left's constantly telling blacks who don't follow the approved script there is something wrong with them is good strategy?

Steve (wonder's how people can be so tone deaf)
      "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Or maybe he wasn’t following the liberal playbook hence being a Trump supporter as a black man. And maybe he realized Trump is actually a colossal jackass and a terrible President. Maybe he got tired a being used as a token black man for Trump trying to prove he isn’t racist.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1568559151__131237764_zpsqab9zwlp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	512104

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1568559151__131237764_zpsqab9zwlp.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	512104
            I have seen this sentiment all over the place. Add that to the Dems finally admitting they want to confiscate guns. You can say that was just Beto talking and he won't be the nominee, but that soundbite will be used for years. Hell, maybe there is Russian collusion, but it's with Beto being a Russian plant? That's about the only explanation that makes sense. You have Kamala Harris, as evil a sociopath as there ever was onstage literally laughing at the idea of following the Constitution and all credit to Biden for bringing it up.

It's as if the Dems are TRYING to shit the bed again in 2020. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if that's the new slogan, "Let's Shit The Bed Again 2020!"

I just don't get it. You have absolutely horrible Trump, yet the Dems are somehow more horrible and are going to lose again! It's crazy!! But hey, keep telling blacks the rules of the plantation and reminding them when they violate them and then tell the rest of America you have been lying and you are coming to confiscate guns by force and that the pesky rule of law shouldn't get in the way of what a dicta....I mean President would want to do. That will surely work!

Steve (wonders if anyone has ever heard of game theory or strategy in the Democrat party)
            Last edited by Mr. Raceboy; 09-15-2019, 11:54 AM.
            "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Just on the gun point of conversation, in the first paragraph.
              How do you think people are going to respond?
              Just saying.

If there is no compromise, what do you expect?

I think proper gun owners should have the right to arm themselves.
              01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

And probably at least a year earlier than 60 million of his fellow Americans.

Pete (never fell asleep)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1568559151__131237764_zpsqab9zwlp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	512104
                  TIL that the Family Guy episode where Peter Griffin founds a church based on the Fonz was not as far fetched as I originally believed.

Pete (googled that church)

Comment

Working...
                  X