With Markers and Straws, Trump’s Campaign Sells Defiance as a Lifestyle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Markers and Straws, Trump’s Campaign Sells Defiance as a Lifestyle

Plastic Trump drinking straws were created to hit back at the growing movement, most noticeably at large coffee and fast food chains, that has called for environment-friendly alternatives to plastic straws. The Trump campaign says its straws are in fact recyclable — “Liberal paper straws don’t work,” was the pitch.

Siphoning Twitter rage over the straws created a revenue stream. According to data shared by Trump campaign officials this week, almost 55,000 packs of straws have been sold, netting over $823,000 in sales. More than a third of the people who bought the items had never donated to the campaign before that purchase, according to Tim Murtaugh, the campaign’s communications director.

Last week, a tweetstorm broke out after the president was photographed with a map showing the path of Hurricane Dorian with a hard-to-miss black line that appeared to have been drawn to extend the storm’s possible path into Alabama after he had insisted he had been right in predicting the storm, at one point, was headed to the state.

Mr. Trump said he did not know who had doctored the map with a Sharpie, but that did not stop the campaign from selling something new — markers with Mr. Trump’s autograph on them. As it became clear that administration officials, if not the president, had altered a scientific document, campaign officials tried to direct attention not to the administration’s mistake but to the fact that it was being heavily covered by the news media.

“Buy the official Trump marker, which is different than every other marker on the market, because this one has the special ability to drive @CNN and the rest of the fake news crazy!” tweeted Brad Parscale, Mr. Trump’s campaign manager.

This week, The New York Times revealed that Wilbur Ross, the commerce secretary, had threatened to fire employees at a federal scientific agency responsible for weather forecasts as Mr. Trump grew angry over the coverage around his Alabama tweets.

But the markers do not appear to have the same appeal the straws did, having sold only about $50,000 worth, according to Mr. Murtaugh. Mr. Parscale initially said they had been selling by the “hundreds.”

While drinking straws and black markers are churned out the speed of a Twitter news cycle, that is nothing compared with the new varieties of T-shirts that go on the market after Mr. Trump tangles with a Democratic congressman or prominent journalist.

For $34, fans can buy a recent model lampooning the CNN anchor Chris Cuomo for unleashing a profanity-laced tirade on a pair of men who called him “Fredo,” a reference to the incompetent son of Marlon Brando in “The Godfather.” The shirt is meant to mock Mr. Cuomo’s assertion that the moniker was a slur against Italians.

The “Fredo” shirt displays the campaign’s omnipresent phone number to sign up and receive texts. The campaign closely monitors text sign-ups around each effort, and the results seem to have emboldened officials.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/13/u...24_5MTYpsXxeEE
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

He should give Bang Bros the naming rights to White House! LOL
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Paper straws DO NOT WORK.

Pete (hates on them with a furious vengeance)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post

Straws in general suck.

(see what I did there?)
        They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
        -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post

We just went to Disney Food and Wine last week. We know only one booth, France, has plastic straws. So I took about 20 of them.

Paper straws fucking suck and the only thing that sucks worse are the morons thinking they are saving the planet by forcing them on everyone. Fuck off!
          "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post

Straws in general suck.

(see what I did there?)
            Don't get me started on vacuums.

Comment

In any event, it's amazing to see a President enriching himself in office so flagrantly and shamelessly... and his base just laps it up.

He could probably charge them to suck on the end of a diesel tailpipe if he told them it's "conservative" air.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post
                In any event, it's amazing to see a President enriching himself in office so flagrantly and shamelessly... and his base just laps it up.

He could probably charge them to suck on the end of a diesel tailpipe if he told them it's "conservative" air.
                You have it exactly backwards. Trump is giving the market what it wants, not the other way around. If you want to beat Trump, you need to figure out why the market is demanding him, but that would take some looking in the mirror and that's why you are going to get another 4 years of this idiot.

Comment

Oh yeah, it's all the Dems fault. How convenient!

Comment

The clown is selling to a small portion of the market. It's as if I ran for president and against conservatives and had frequent bible burnings, to piss of my opposition.
                    Maybe the left should try that.
                    01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

We did just burn a flag or two in CA the other day.

zach(never understood why conservatives go apeshit over someone actually following the flag code instead of gluinga flag to a bumper)
                      They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                      -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

zach(never understood why conservatives go apeshit over someone actually following the flag code instead of gluinga flag to a bumper)
                        Keep denying it, see where it gets you.

Comment

The irony is if you believe the flag represents freedom, they flag represents the right to burn it in protest.

Comment

If we gave the market what it wanted, we'd still be driving emission belching cars circa 1965.

Comment

Denying what? I’m confused.
                              -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Working...
                              X