Inside Conservative Groups’ Effort to ‘Make Dishwashers Great Again’

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside Conservative Groups’ Effort to ‘Make Dishwashers Great Again’

Of all the conservative efforts to persuade the Trump administration to weaken the nation’s environmental rules, the dishwasher lobby might be the most peculiar.

“Dishwashers used to clean a full load of filthy dishes in under an hour. But now they take an average of two and a half hours and STILL leave dishes dirty!” reads one online petition promoted by FreedomWorks, a libertarian offshoot of a group co-founded by the late David H. Koch and his brother Charles Koch, who made their fortune in fossil fuels. The decline of American dishwashers, the site says, is “all thanks to crazy environmentalist rules.”

The petition, titled “Make Dishwashers Great Again,” is just one part of a broad campaign coordinated by conservative organizations with ties to fossil-fuel companies. Trump administration emails made public as part of a lawsuit filed by the Sierra Club shed new light on the effort, designed to persuade the Trump administration to weaken standards on a long list of home appliances.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/c...wQRumwujFEVZko
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

The administration is also preparing to loosen proposed Obama-era standards for tailpipe emissions on cars and light trucks, even though automakers say the move would cause them “untenable” instability and hurt their profits. It also plans to eliminate rules that restrict methane emissions from oil and gas infrastructure even though some companies have argued for continued regulation.

The Trump administration has already moved forward with numerous other efficiency rollbacks, including weakening energy standards for light bulbs, effectively freezing standards for gas-powered residential furnaces and making it tougher for the federal government to set new efficiency rules.

The rollbacks have significant environmental consequences. Eliminating inefficient bulbs alone would save electricity equivalent to the output of at least 25 large power plants, enough to power all homes in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, according to an estimate by the Natural Resources Defense Council. And tougher standards for furnaces alone could reduce carbon dioxide pollution by nearly 85 million metric tons by 2050, equivalent to the annual emissions from 22 coal-fired power plants.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/c...wQRumwujFEVZko

Comment

I'm with them on the dishwashers. I'll cling to my old one for dear life because with the water usage limits on the newer ones, they don't do the job.

Pete (may be a water hog, but his dishes get cleaned quick)

Comment

Nothing worse than having to flush your toilet twice. Thanks government!
        "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
          Nothing worse than having to flush your toilet twice. Thanks government!
          Consider the real source of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post

Consider the real source of the problem.
            A shitty toilet!

(see what I did there)
            They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
            -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

I buy only the good dishwasher detergent with phosphates. On Amazon it's called "cascade professional fryer boil out". In reality it's how dishwasher detergent used to be made.
              DEEZ NUTS FOR PRESIDENT!!

Comment

Working...
              X