X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mexico's governor floats free tuition plan

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-mex...-new-proposal/

New Mexico proposes free state college tuition for all residents

New Mexico on Wednesday announced an ambitious proposal to make tuition at its public colleges and universities free for all state residents, regardless of income.

If the proposal put forward by Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham wins legislative approval, it would apply to roughly 55,000 New Mexico students across the state's 29 public institutions starting next fall.

New Mexico is not the first state to roll out a free tuition program for its residents, a growing trend as states take the lead on the rising cost of higher education. It's only the second state after New York to offer a full tuition coverage plan for eligible residents. It's also the 21st state to provide full two-year coverage at community colleges.

"In the short term, we'll see better enrollment, better student success," Grisham said in a statement. "In the long run, we'll see improved economic growth, improved outcomes for New Mexican workers and families and parents, a better trained and better compensated workforce."
    I am not sure where to start on this crackpottery. I suppose I'll start with the notion that free college leads to a better trained and better compensated workforce. We know it doesn't......a college degree is not worth as much any more because everyone gets one, in part because degrees are so heavily subsidized.
    The New Mexico plan is ostensibly intended to combat rising costs, yet these costs are only rising because of artificial demand for college created by these same subsidies. The answer to runway costs, according to New Mexico's governor, is more subsidies! And guess what that will lead to...still more rising costs!

And even if you subscribe to that bit of nonsense...why are they including both rich people and noncitizens!?! How on earth are these people eligible for your taxpayer funded handouts!?

Pete (thinks they've lost their minds)

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-mex...-new-proposal/

I am not sure where to start on this crackpottery. I suppose I'll start with the notion that free college leads to a better trained and better compensated workforce. We know it doesn't......a college degree is not worth as much any more because everyone gets one, in part because degrees are so heavily subsidized.
    The New Mexico plan is ostensibly intended to combat rising costs, yet these costs are only rising because of artificial demand for college created by these same subsidies. The answer to runway costs, according to New Mexico's governor, is more subsidies! And guess what that will lead to...still more rising costs!

And even if you subscribe to that bit of nonsense...why are they including both rich people and noncitizens!?! How on earth are these people eligible for your taxpayer funded handouts!?

Pete (thinks they've lost their minds)
    College has only been slightly behind healthcare in something great the government fucked up through subsidy.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
    X