No announcement yet.

US Open 2018: Serena Williams' claims of sexism backed by WTA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgive me if I don't shed a tear for her victimhood.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
      Martina Navratilova: What Serena Got Wrong -
      “Just because the guys might be able to get away with it doesn’t mean it’s acceptable.”
      Letting the guys get away with it is not acceptable either.

She's right to complain about a double standard.
      "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post

The evidence shows that the men are getting nailed for abusing officials at a much higher rate than the women. Serena is only right if the men are abusing officials at a much much higher rate than the women and only getting penalized at a higher rate. Even then, it's a tough sell for her.

There's also this now:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3bea1457c257

Tennis umpires reportedly considering boycott of Serena Williams matches

Stung by what they perceive as a lack of institutional support for the chair umpire who gave Serena Williams a game penalty late in the U.S. Open women’s final, which set off a firestorm of criticism, other umpires are reportedly discussing the possibility of boycotting her matches. Top umpires are also considering the formation of a union, according to a report Tuesday, in part because they are not allowed to discuss specific matches.

Williams was free to speak her mind after losing, 6-2, 6-4, Saturday to Japan’s Naomi Osaka, and she accused chair umpire Carlos Ramos of sexism. He had given her a warning for coaching, then a point penalty for smashing her racket and, after she repeatedly expressed frustration, including calling him a “thief,” Ramos levied the game penalty for verbal abuse.

A report by The Times of London cited an anonymous official who claimed that umpires felt they were frequently “not supported” by the USTA and that Ramos was “thrown to the wolves for simply doing his job and was not willing to be abused for it.” That has led to talk of a boycott, with the Guardian reporting that umpires feel Ramos was “hung out to dry” while “no one is standing up for officials,” lending renewed energy to long-standing discussions about unionizing.

“Umpires don’t have any independent means of representation and are employed by the governing bodies,” a source told The Guardian. “If talking to the media is not allowed, and governing bodies are speaking out against them, what are umpires supposed to do?”
        Pete (can't argue with that)

Comment

Originally posted by skooly View Post

After watching the clips and reading Martina Navratilova’s analysis, it appears Williams was in no position to complain about anything in this instance.
          For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
          If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

Originally posted by electrician1976 View Post
            Not something I would have done. I’m a non confrontational person. But I do get angry when someone attacks my character. Apparently it crossed her line. There’s no doubt in my mind that she’s getting the backlash she’s because of who she is.
            She just straw-manned an imaginary attack on her character. The official issued a warning because he saw her coach giving hand signals. It’s no more an attack on character than issuing a foul in basketball. It’s just the rules of the game.
            For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
            If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Comment

There's no doubt in my mind that Serena has experienced a buttload of racism and sexism in her life, but that doesn't mean she can cry wolf whenever she wants to. THIS incident wasn't sexist, and this judge is getting pilloried for no good reason.

Pete (also thinks that the recent leftist dogma that you should always support accusers in these kinds of matters is starting to wear very very thin)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                Pete (also thinks that the recent leftist dogma that you should always support accusers in these kinds of matters is starting to wear very very thin)
                Particularly when the entire incident was televised and can be readily reaxamined ad nauseum.
                They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

What if her opponent was not of a mixed race?

Comment

Originally posted by Danisr1 View Post
                    What if her opponent was not of a mixed race?
                    I'm still confused about how a competition between two women had sexism as an issue.
                    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                    -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
                      I'm still confused about how a competition between two women had sexism as an issue.
                      Well, the judge was male, and Serena tried to make it about how judges treat men v. how judges treat women.

Pete (is sure it was never about the opponent)

Comment

Working...
                      X