Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Open 2018: Serena Williams' claims of sexism backed by WTA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #1
    She's been evolving from a world-class tennis player into a bratty diva over the last ten years or so. Yeah, she was the best tennis player in the world for a while, but now that that's changing, she's turning up the bitch factor.

    McEnroe, anybody?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

    Comment


    • #2
      While I don’t disagree Serena escalated this when she should have shut her mouth, I also don’t disagree with her point. Go look for footage of plenty of men players who have gone off on the chair judge (most recently Djokovic at the French Open with the SAME chair judge)kicked tennis balls etc. and gotten no penalty at all. There is a plethora out there...there is something more to this.
      Last edited by Tnnisace73; 09-10-2018, 10:26 PM.
      “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less travelled by.” -Robert Frost

      Comment


      • #3
        I imagine it has a lot to do with her willingness to stay on the plantation. Don’t mean this in a racial context. Most people like all races, sexes, cultures, etc so long as you stay inside the cute little box they create for you. Step out of that box and the world hates you.

        Comment


        • #4
          Martina Navratilova: What Serena Got Wrong -
          “Just because the guys might be able to get away with it doesn’t mean it’s acceptable.”

          https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/o...s-us-open.html
          For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
          If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

          "We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

          Comment


          • #5
            Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
            https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/45468290



            For those not paying attention, Williams had a meltdown during her loss to 20-year old Naomi Osaka. Among other transgressions, she repeatedly slammed her racquet and verbally assaulted the judge, calling him a liar and a thief. She received 3 penalties, including a full-game penalty, and dropped the match in two sets.

            Pete (would post video but he can't seem to manage that at work)
            here it is

            For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
            If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

            "We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

            Comment


            • #6
              Originally posted by dusty View Post
              Martina Navratilova: What Serena Got Wrong -
              “Just because the guys might be able to get away with it doesn’t mean it’s acceptable.”

              https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/o...s-us-open.html
              Her biggest crime is not “knowing her place”.

              I used to be as big of a sexist as anyone. Having a daughter has changed my views immensely. Even a couple years ago, I would have been complaining too about the elimination of the swimsuit portion of the Miss America pageant. To those complaining now, I say submit pictures of your wives and daughters in swimsuits for all to scrutinize or fondle themselves to.

              As I’ve gotten older and the longer I’ve been married, I find helplessness to be an ugly trait.
              We discourage women from taking charge and taking care of themselves.

              Comment


              • #7
                Originally posted by electrician1976 View Post
                Her biggest crime is not “knowing her place”.

                I used to be as big of a sexist as anyone. Having a daughter has changed my views immensely. Even a couple years ago, I would have been complaining too about the elimination of the swimsuit portion of the Miss America pageant. To those complaining now, I say submit pictures of your wives and daughters in swimsuits for all to scrutinize or fondle themselves to.

                As I’ve gotten older and the longer I’ve been married, I find helplessness to be an ugly trait.
                We discourage women from taking charge and taking care of themselves.
                So...

                ...you're supposed to insult and berate your judge in a tennis match? As a matter of equality?

                Pete (tries to connect the dots here)

                Comment


                • #8
                  Serena was out of line. She got only warned and went off on the umpire. The umpire wasn't having it and Serena should have realized it and kept playing. Serena is the best female tennis player of all time, it was a bad day for her.

                  Comment


                  • #9
                    Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                    So...

                    ...you're supposed to insult and berate your judge in a tennis match? As a matter of equality?

                    Pete (tries to connect the dots here)
                    Not something I would have done. I’m a non confrontational person. But I do get angry when someone attacks my character. Apparently it crossed her line. There’s no doubt in my mind that she’s getting the backlash she’s because of who she is.

                    Comment


                    • #10
                      The coach admitted to giving hand signals, not sure if she saw them or not, but its cheating and she got warned.

                      Comment


                      • #11
                        Originally posted by electrician1976 View Post
                        Not something I would have done. I’m a non confrontational person. But I do get angry when someone attacks my character. Apparently it crossed her line. There’s no doubt in my mind that she’s getting the backlash she’s because of who she is.
                        She's getting backlash because she cheated then had a fit about getting punished for it.

                        Pete (thinks you can attribute it to race or gender all you want, but it is now known she was guilty as charged)

                        Comment


                        • #12
                          Her claims aren't even accurate:

                          https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...en/1263930002/

                          But assessing code violations for coaching is not uncommon, according to information provided by the ITF. Of the 31 code violations assessed during the three Grand Slams before the US Open, 11 of them were for coaching — more than any other code violation.

                          Because Williams was issued a warning for the coaching violation, she was immediately assessed a code violation when she slammed her racket onto the court and received a point penalty.

                          During the three previous Grand Slams — the French Open, Wimbledon and Australian Open — men were assessed 59 code violations, almost twice as many as the women. The men were issued violations for coaching nine times and the most common violation was abuse of racket/equipment 19 times.
                          Serena's claim that men get away with worse is specious. They get penalized more than the women, not less.

                          Pete (supposes that might be because women "know their place" but doesn't think so)

                          Comment


                          • #13
                            Feel sorry for the young mixed race girl that won her first Wimbledon.

                            Comment


                            • #14
                              Originally posted by Jeff92se View Post
                              Feel sorry for the young mixed race girl that won her first Wimbledon.
                              Nitpicking, but she won the US Open. She lost to Venus Williams at Wimbledon, taking third.

                              Pete (adds that Osaka was #7 in the world coming into the US Open, so her win is not that incredible a shock)

                              Comment


                              • #15
                                She was destroying Serena with her returns. She made her look slowwwww...
                                Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy
                                I'm a lot more worried about the commies running DC than I am about commies half way around the world.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X